Mega Events

pauljsurfer1

---------------------------------------

Upcoming "Mega" Events (4 Events)

---------------------------------------

1. MOGA 2009 (Mega-Event Cache) (GC1DRV3)

Date: 3/28/2009 by MOGA

http://coord.info/GC1DRV3

2. ASP GeoBash IV (Mega-Event Cache) (GC1DG47)

Date: 5/15/2009 by ASPGeoBashCommittee

http://coord.info/GC1DG47

3. GeoWoodstock VII (Mega-Event Cache) (GC1CG5G)

Date: 5/23/2009 by GeoWoodstock 7 Committee

http://coord.info/GC1CG5G

4. Midwest Geobash 2009 (Mega-Event Cache) (GC1HKTM)

Date: 7/23/2009 by Midwest Geobash

http://coord.info/GC1HKTM

Keystone, could you explain something I'm confused about.

The coinfest shows 293 attended and was listed as a mega.

The Friday Night Meet & Greet before GW6 had 747 but was not listed as a Mega.

I thought an event was considered a mega when 500 people attended.

Edit for typo and to add that I just read the logs and saw that GS decided not to for the Meet & Greet. I imagine so it wouldn't take away from the main event. It doesn't matter to me either way. I was just curious why the difference.

Also edited to change "fright night" to friday night. Whoops. Bad typo. :)

Edited by Skippermark

Also I guess an additional question. As someone new to caching and wanting to meet new people at a larger event what are some of the popular events across the US that are attended by 100+ that may not be classified as a Mega?

In NC, the NCGO held it's annual Fall Fling a couple of months ago and we had over 200 people attend. It was a fun weekend filled with camping, food, Cache N Dash race, costume party, CITO, kayak cache run and several other activities. Be on the look out for next year's event sometime in October 2009 <_<

Be sure to check out our state's website, www.ncgeocachers.org if you haven't already.

Also I guess an additional question. As someone new to caching and wanting to meet new people at a larger event what are some of the popular events across the US that are attended by 100+ that may not be classified as a Mega?

Are you interested in going to them or just curious? I love events and would love to travel to some of the larger, non-mega ones, but my schedule and wallet doesn't allow for that.

The Big Bear Cache Bash in CA is pretty big and fun sounding. I almost went out this year but decided last minute to stay home.

The coinfest shows 293 attended and was listed as a mega.

The Friday Night Meet & Greet before GW6 had 747 but was not listed as a Mega.

I thought an event was considered a mega when 500 people attended.

The Mega icon is awarded to events where it's expected that 500 people will turn up and sign the log book. That would typically correspond to about 250-270 "attended" logs, what with spouses, partners, children, etc. I suppose that Groundspeak reserves the right to waive that if the numbers ended up being a few short.

However, a Mega event is also supposed to have a substantial level of activities; it can't just be a bigger "vanilla" event (like a giant restaurant evening or barbecue). So the peripheral events around a Mega can't be Mega events in their own right.

If it helps, think of it as a "Megavent" or some other word which isn't just the word "Event" with an adjective in front of it. <_<

The Mega icon is awarded to events where it's expected that 500 people will turn up and sign the log book. That would typically correspond to about 250-270 "attended" logs, what with spouses, partners, children, etc. I suppose that Groundspeak reserves the right to waive that if the numbers ended up being a few short.

Thanks for the explanation. I always wondered if it was "attends" or actual people. That must be why some people at events want every person to sign in, even if they don't have a caching name.

thank you so much I'm actually compiling a list now of large and mega events that I have been able to find. Here's what I have so far:

MOGA 2009 March 27-29 Stoutsville, MO

ASP Geobash IV May 15-17 Alleghany, NY

GeoWoodstock VII May 23 Bell Buckle, TN

GCinOhio GeoFest May 29-31 Troy OH

Mega Adventure Super Fortress June 19-21

Geo Jamboree 7 June Newton, CT

The World Geo-Gathering July 16-19 Wyandotte OK

Midwest Geobash 2009 July 23-26 Wauseon, OH

UK's Second Mega-Event August 9 Weston-super-mere, UK

Big Bear Cache Bash August Big Bear Lake, CA

Pirates of Harriman VI September New York

GeoRendezvous September Ogden, Utah

GeoCoinfest October Utah

Florida Finders Fest October Florida

Fall Fling October NC

Cacheapalooza 4 December John Dickinson, FL

Caching Through the Snow December NJ

G.O.N.E. NJ

Spring Fling Washington

GeoLuau Washington

GeoBoo Washington

I'm not trying to advertise I just wanted to bring together a list since I know that it would be extremely helpful when travelling if I'm going to be near a large event. If there's any other events (regional or large local) I would love to hear about them.

Edited by pauljsurfer1

CacheaPalooza 3 (GC1D040) was attended by 300+ folks last December (2008). Not bad for a location that can only draw people from a "HALF CIRCLE". We have only the Atlantic Ocean to our East! The event has grown steadily in numbers each year. Who knows? Maybe CP4 will be our MEGA year?