How do you like your bugs to move?

markandsandy

OK, let's try this again.

When moving TBs, I will look at their page and note not only if they have a mission, but who has moved them, and which caches they have visited. I will also follow up on them after placing them, to see that they eventually have moved on from the cache that I have placed them in.

In doing this, and in reading this forum, I've made some observations:

Occasionally, a cacher will post a thread such as "I've got a TB that needs to travel to <insert destination>. Is anyone heading that direction?" It's as if they have appointed themselves as TRAVEL AGENTS for someone elses Bug.

When TBs travel through some (non-prison) TB Hotels, a few cachers frequently visit the cache and pick up a large number of TBs, which are later dropped off at another TB Hotel. The TBs then get dispersed from that cache into a new geographical area. These cachers are kind of like BUS DRIVERS traveling regular routes.

On the other hand, TBs that travel in a more random cacher/random cache mode tend to stay longer in one geographic area, and often seem to have trouble breaking out of that area. These TBs are HITCHHIKERS. They may have a specific destination, but never know who is going to pick them up, or where they will actually end up.

I'm just curious how do you, as a travel bug owner, prefer to see your bug move? Please keep the discussion light (I deliberately left out PRISON GUARDS and BUGNAPPERS).

It would be nice if they'd move far and wide. But if they're going to spend the rest of their life wandering about the Netherlands, that's good too. :shocked: As long as they keep moving, all is good.

Where are they? Agent Dolphin is wandering about Ohio. Furby for a Change is in a tough cache in Germany. Celtic Arrow is in New Mexico, but someone has been holding it since July. China geocin is in New York (also being held since July). FTF geocoin seems to have disappeared. :shocked: Generic geocoin has made it to Ontario. Sunshine coin is in NY. Paperless geocoin is still in NJ. AT coin is in Ontario. CITO coin has been happy wandering about Germany. ARKMO coin is in California. California micro is happy wandering about the Netherlands. Oops. My ECS coin is in the cache I left it in last March Evil micro is in California. Muddy8 disappeared in North Carolina. Wannabe is in Pa.

World Traveler, Maryland, Oklahoma, New York, Uncle Jon, and my TBs Florida and Bette Davis Eyes are missing.

All in all, not bad! And, I think my sister sent me three new geocoins for Christmas!

I would say all of ours is hitchhikers. I like never knowing who will pick them up and where they will end up. We send them all out to have adventure.

I had a school bus TB that a school bus driver picked up and it traveled the school year on her school bus and the kids enjoyed it. The driver asked if we would mind and then sent me pictures and I had no problem with it. We had a gingerbread man that was out of a school teachers area but she went and picked it up so it could attend school because they were having a gingerbread party. We like to see people enjoy the TB's we send out and sometimes they have an adventure we never dreamed of.

The only one I don't like is the hotels where the owners stipulates take one and leave one so it sits there.

I have bugs that aren't moving. I'd love to see someone pick them up and dip them in several caches before moving them on so they could get some miles. I've seen people doing that and I think I might start dipping bugs until I find a place for them. I have a personal coin that I dip in all caches I visit. It shows me the miles that I've traveled caching.

I'd lilke my "racers" to actually "race"! I released a Mickey Mouse and a Donald Duck on my birthday in July of 2008 with the mission to race each other to Disneyland in California. Mickey now has 8 miles and Donald has 107. Both have traveled EAST from the original cache, when Disneyland is WEST! I've send emails to both cachers who have these TB's. One is someone I've met at caching events. He emailed back apologizing that the TB hasn't moved, but still hasn't moved it. He's had it since September. The other one is in the hands of someone since October and I get no response when emailing them.

I've got another TB that's been in a TB Hotel since the beginning of September. I even posted a note on the hotel to please free my bug. Last time it was discovered was Sept 21 so who knows if it's still there.

I'd like my TB's to move. I don't care how.

[H]ow do you, as a travel bug owner, prefer to see your bug move?

Fast, often and far.

I like to see them move. If they have a goal, toward their goal is nice. Otherwise, It doesn't matter much to me how they move - though I do love to see them rack up mileage and pictures.

When I move a TB, I try to move it a significant distance (50+ miles) unless doing so is not in line with its goal. I gues that doing so is a reflection of how I like to see my TBs move.