Internet Explorer crash

maxkim

Hi there, have swoped to Firefox to qsk the question... IE lasts about 15 mins then crashes... no response at all, tried quitting and rebooting... no success. Any helpwelcome. MaxKim

Have you been doing updates? Are you the latest IE7?

Sounds like you have a bug or virus. I've encountered several in the past that targeted IE and made it shut down.

Stick with Firefox and then go searching the web for info on IE problems, don't be surprised if you get several thousand responses.

Then of course don't be surprised it this thread gets closed or moved as it is not Geocaching related in any shape or form... :)

Of course you could just stop wasting your time with IE...

Edited by careygang

If you have Automatic Updates turned on, then you should have had the security update installed a few days ago. So the vulnerability isn't there now and it might be something else causing the crash.

Check by going to the Microsoft Windows Update site ( in Review Your Update History here). Note that Firefox is also vulnerable in similar fashion, so you might want to update that as well (I seem to think that mine was updated recently but I'm not sure how you check).

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Note that Firefox is also vulnerable in similar fashion, so you might want to update that as well (I seem to think that mine was updated recently but I'm not sure how you check).

Help > About Mozilla Firefox

If you're using version 2 you should be on 2.0.0.20, which is the final update for v2.

I think the latest version of 3 is 3.0.5.

I'm on 3.0.5, and you've reassured me that it's the latest version, but I wonder whether that has the security patch to cover the potential attack identified by Microsoft.

I think it does: Update info.

3.0.4 was a scheduled update on Thursday; 3.0.5 is security patches.

Thanks! Interestingly, if you look at the comments at the foot of the page you linked to, there's just about the full range of experiences with both IE and FF - from crashing frequently to fully stable. I suspect it depends what else you have installed.

I'm on 3.0.5, and you've reassured me that it's the latest version, but I wonder whether that has the security patch to cover the potential attack identified by Microsoft.

Microsoft has not identified any security problem with Firefox. All browsers undergo regular security updates and almost none of the vulnerabilities are ever exploited (perhaps 5% of the IE ones, and I can't think of a single case for any other browser). The latest hoo-ha over IE was due to a combination of it being a very old bug (at least 9 years old, according to Microsoft) and also, frankly, a slow news week in the tech sector. Firefox's 3.0.5 update addresses some security issues - as does every FF update - but none of them are the "world to end" bug which MS patched last week (and which of course was not "world to end" anyway, given that allegedly one PC in 4 is part of a botnet already - it's like finding out that an MP is corrupt or a journalist made up a story, no big deal, par for the course).

As ever, your single biggest potential computer problem is spontaneous hard disk failure (about 3-4% of all disks die per year, usually without anything which amounts to a practical warning). Protect against that, by having a recovery plan which you've tested - do you know where your reinstallation CD is? - and you also protect against every possible dreadful virus (almost all of which are fictitious anyway) because you can always recover by trashing your disk and starting again. :)

Hard disk failure is to virus panics what heart disease is to terrorism: almost infinitely more likely to harm you but far less likely to get you worried (and thus prepared to buy in to non-remedies peddled by people with an agenda).

Edited by sTeamTraen

All sound advice from SteamTraen ....

FF3 has actually been quite 'buggy' - lots of blogs etc about it and Mozilla have been happy to put their hands up to it. For instance the GE addin I was using regularly floored it. Quite a lot of audio/video plugins conflict so see their web pages for advice about which ones to switch off.

I happily use FF, currently 3.0.5 - the earlier releases did completely crash the PC from time to time.

IE7, fully patched (well that may be a misnomer), is fine. IE7 is quite bloated and has 'slow code', but (recent events apart) I've found it rock solid these days.

Avoid HD failure by never turning off the PC - yep I'm running two PCs which are at least 9 years old! I havent got the heart to diss em and kill em.

KF

Hi there, have swoped to Firefox to qsk the question... IE lasts about 15 mins then crashes... no response at all, tried quitting and rebooting... no success. Any helpwelcome. MaxKim

Keep using Firefox :)

Is that the sluggish browser with the naff orange logo <_<

DO NOT upgrade to IE 8. It caused so many problems.

I use Google Chrome browser and LOVE IT!

Thanks for the info and for allowing this to continue... I normally use IE7 ... fully updated but with the problems... I will try a reformat and reinstall over the holiday and see if that clears things... and may well switch to Firefox. Its the old story of learning something new and migrating all the fav's etc across.... It crashed when I tried to do it.... 6 times... LOL. Cheers M

firefox will migrate your favorates accross during the install, theres nothing new really to learn, apart from firefox being a better browser

Whu would a significantly slower browser be better?

Er secuirity, according to Secunia IE7 has 9 out of 33 vulnerabilities unpatched, the of which the most serious is moderatly critical. Firefox 3 has 1 out of 8 vulnerabilities upatched and it is non critical. And then there's all the addons such as adblock, flashblock, noscript etc, some of which enhance security no end.

BTW it's not slower for me.