Garmin Colorado and .TYP files

Crid

In the Colorado 2.9 firmware thread there was a mention of TYP files and how they can modify how various attributes appear on the GPS (I compared it to CSS, perhaps incorrectly).

I don't seem to be having much luck finding a decent walk-through showing me exactly what I need to do in order to use a TYP file on the Colorado. It appears I have to use genTYP and/or MapSetTookKit, but that's about as far as I've managed to get. I'm not sure if I have to extract the TYP file from the map file and compile it somehow.

In particular I'm interested in changing some attributes on OpenStreetMap maps I've generated using mkgmap (so I can distinguish between non-road lines like footpaths, bridleways, byways, etc). At present I'm cheating by using things like contour lines and depth lines, but it's far from ideal.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a decent walk-through showing me the steps I need to follow in order to end up with customised map features?

Thanks in advance.

Theirs nothing magic with regard to the Colorado and typ files, they apply to all Garmin maps on all units. You can redefine Garmin points, lines and polygons and/or create new ones of your own. In my experience all mapping GPS units will display these, but Mapsource will only display redefined, not new points, lines and polygons.

This manual has a chapter devoted to typ files. A typ file is nothing more than a simple text file compiled to Garmin binary using cgpsmapper.

The easiest way to compile the text file is to use MapsetToolkit, search here or Google, and have it call cgpsmapper. It will do error checking and install correctly into Mapsource.

Easy yes!?!?! <_<

Theirs nothing magic with regard to the Colorado and typ files, they apply to all Garmin maps on all units. You can redefine Garmin points, lines and polygons and/or create new ones of your own. In my experience all mapping GPS units will display these, but Mapsource will only display redefined, not new points, lines and polygons.

This manual has a chapter devoted to typ files. A typ file is nothing more than a simple text file compiled to Garmin binary using cgpsmapper.

The easiest way to compile the text file is to use MapsetToolkit, search here or Google, and have it call cgpsmapper. It will do error checking and install correctly into Mapsource.

Easy yes!?!?! <_<

I had problems using the cGPSMapper TYP compiler--if I recall correctly, it incorrectly swapped my "on" and "off" bits for a transparent bitmap. I had much better luck using this site. The one thing that bugged me is that I couldn't find a way to start with the default typ file and edit it. The good news is that you don't have to create a pattern for every type, only for the ones you want to modify. So you could create patterns/linetypes associated with your footpaths, bridleways, etc.

A quick tutorial: First, find out what feature code is being used on your map for the line types that you want to change. Since you're able to change that to a contour, etc., I'm assuming you already know how to change the type. I noticed that mkgmap recently changed the way styles work, and I don't know what version you're using. Anyway, after you have the feature codes, use your favorite (sorry, favourite) editor to create line colors and patterns (dashed, thick, thin, whatever) for those codes. Note that you have a wide choice of colors when you're creating the file, but they won't necessarily show up with the same color on your GPS due to color limitations. I had to go through a few iterations using colors sampled from screenshots from the GPS before I got the color the way I wanted it. Note that you'll probably want to create both day and night colors. Once you have your TYP file, it has to be combined with the map when it's sent to the GPS. I ended up putting it into MapSource because that was the easiest way for me to manage my maps. However, it looks like sendMap can support it, too. For sendmap, I think you just add the TYP file in with your map segments and it will figure it out when you create your gmapsupp.img file. Then when it's done you just copy the gmapsupp.img file to your GPS and test it out.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a decent walk-through showing me the steps I need to follow in order to end up with customised map features?

Thanks in advance.

Starting with TYP's may be, until you have a working procedure, frustrating.

The procedure I used:

1) Grab an existing TYP File and decompile it

(for Example with MapTk, Tools -> TYP Analysis

will create a prj File in the Directory of the TYP File)

(if you have maps without TYP files - get one like the following (German / Italien Site):

http://www.garda-gps.de/download/GardaGPS.typ)

2) Have a look into the created Textfile (GardaGPS.typ.prj) - its quite readable, just a sample with lines and bitmaps out of it:

[Polyline]

Type=0x0a

String=2,Fahrweg

String=5,Strada Regionale

Linewidth=2

Color=0,0x009500

[END]

[Polyline]

Type=0x16

String=2,Trail

String=5,Trail

Color=0,0x009500

Line=00000011000000110000001100000011

Line=00000011000000110000001100000011

[END]

3) Modify one Type

(MapTk: File -> Edit Project File -> Selecte the prj File generated before)

Modify Types

If you start with Type 0x03 or 0x04 or 0x05

most probably these Types are used on your map.

Check the modified prj File.

4) Compile it -

set the correct Famliy ID in the prj File - TYP Files need the Family ID for the Map used.

(MapTk: press the TYP Button)

5) Register it.

(MapTk creates a reg file)

I copied the Type File to the original place - the map I played around with had a registred TYP File.

6) Test it in Mapsource

Mapsource (6.14.1) keeps a TileCache so:

Stop Mapsource,

Delete the Cache

(c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<u s e r>\Anwendungsdaten\GARMIN\MapSource\TileCache\)

(~c:\Documents and Settings\<u s e r>\Appliationdata\GARMIN\MapSource\TileCache\)

Restart Mapsource.

7) Test on the GPS

Recreate and send the Map to the GPS.

8) find out about the Types you realy want to modify

Restart the process

Maps using proprietary Types should have a TYP file (decompile it).

The common Types (like higway, trail, forrest, ...) are known within the tools editor

(example: GenTYP or online editor at http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi ).