Downloading problem

ktagg

Hi I hunted and looked around but didnt find an answer. I downloaded a bunch of caches around my home. When I looked on the unit the caches were there but listed by number,, gx22117 not, bobs cache for example. Somewhere Ive missed how to do that. Probably nothing more that checking a box.. Anybody out there help me...thanks in advance

I have a garmin gpsmap60csx. and the program i used is easy gps

Edited by ktagg

You can go through the list and change them by hand before you load them into the gps. That's what we used to do when we used easyGPS. We thought it would be easier to remember what we had read on the cache page if we had the name instead of the number.

Turns out it was easier to make a small list of the numbers and write the names next to them.

Now days I just leave them as the GC ID numbers. It's easier because I use GSAK and a PDA to keep track of everything.

Most of the other programs & tools we use to cache (like the PDA) work best with the GC ID, and it's much easier to look up the caches later to log them that way. The names don't show up as well as the GC ID well on the gps screen or on the Mapsource maps on the computer, and most names are so long they get shortened odd ways anyway if you try using something like GSAK which will automatically change the names. Plus, the first time you run across a series, the name isn't very helpful anyway--Path1, Path2, Path3, Path 4--nothing there to help you remember what the cache was all about.

With EasyGPS to edit the cache before you transfer it into your gps:

With the file of caches open in EasyGPS, simply right click on the cache, select edit, then edit the field called "Waypoint" to whatever you want it to read instead of the GC#.

You will be limited to the number of spaces your gps allows for waypoint names (about 11 usually).

You can edit the description or comment fields to include the GC ID if you like.

The default is that waypoint name is the GC # and you'll see the cache's name in the note field. You can use something like GSAK to flip them, but you only have 14 positions for the waypoint name, so many cache names will be truncated.

I find keeping the GC number as the waypoint name is the better choice for a few reasons. First, each GC number is unique. There can only be one GC1235, but there can be dozens of "Bob's Caches".

It can be especially confusing if there is a series of caches that start with the same name like "Bob's Amazing Cache #1, Bob's Amazing Cache #2, Bob's Amazing Cache #3, etc. If you use the cache name as the waypoint name you'd truncate the end of the name and wind up a bunch of caches named "Bob's Amazing..." on your GPS and won't be able to tell which cache is which.

Also, if you are using the geocaching feature, when you select "found" there is a calendar entry made for that cache using the waypoint name. At the end of the day you can call up the calendar list and key in the GC numbers of each cache you found to bring up the correct cache page.

Edited by briansnat

One other thing to point out is if you use GSAK or another program to put the geocaches onto your GPS by name and then use cachmate to put them on your PDA by name you have to make sure what the true name of the cache is. If the cache starts with quoutes and you are looking up the name inyour PDA and forget about the quoutes, you will think you forgot to load into the PDA. Titles with quotes are at the beginning of your alphabetical search.

So if you are looking for a cached named "will you find it" under the W's, you will not find it. You will have to look for it by the quotation marks first then the letter.

Hi I hunted and looked around but didnt find an answer. I downloaded a bunch of caches around my home. When I looked on the unit the caches were there but listed by number,, gx22117 not, bobs cache for example. Somewhere Ive missed how to do that. Probably nothing more that checking a box.. Anybody out there help me...thanks in advance

I have a garmin gpsmap60csx. and the program i used is easy gps

The older versions of EasyGPS, under preferences would let you choose name or geocache ID. I'm not 100% sure but I think that was done away with in the newer versions.

One other thing to point out is if you use GSAK or another program to put the geocaches onto your GPS by name and then use cachmate to put them on your PDA by name you have to make sure what the true name of the cache is. If the cache starts with quoutes and you are looking up the name inyour PDA and forget about the quoutes, you will think you forgot to load into the PDA. Titles with quotes are at the beginning of your alphabetical search.

So if you are looking for a cached named "will you find it" under the W's, you will not find it. You will have to look for it by the quotation marks first then the letter.

Oooh yeah, I remember that headache, too. If the cache was named "The Last Coach" it would be listed under the L's when the word "the" was dropped--and I always forgot that!

It was much easier to list them both places (PDA & GPS) under the GC ID. The name of the cache shows up when you read the full PDA file anyway, if that helps you remember that was "one of the caches you really wanted to do".

I am having the opposite problem with loading caches from GCSAK. They load into my Garmin as cache names not CG numbers.

I would rather have them listed by number.

I got a new Garmin 60CSx for an early Christmas gift, and this is the first time I've downloaded caches. Is there something I need to set or reset to get GCSAK to load the GCxxxx numbers?

I am having the opposite problem with loading caches from GCSAK. They load into my Garmin as cache names not CG numbers.

I got a new Garmin 60CSx for an early Christmas gift, and this is the first time I've downloaded caches. Is there something I need to set or reset to get GCSAK to load the GCxxxx numbers?

On the send to waypoints to gps dialog, on the left side is a Waypoint Name box. Change the %smart to %code. You can read the help file on Special Tags for other options.

Jim

On the send to waypoints to gps dialog, on the left side is a Waypoint Name box. Change the %smart to %code. You can read the help file on Special Tags for other options.

Jim

jholly is right....or you can even put it as

%drop2 and it will take off the "GC" part since you don't really need that part.

You can set it all kinds of ways, it's called "Setting your GSAK string" if you want to search for info about the options. There was a long thread about it on the Tech forums a few weeks ago.

I do: %drop2 %typ1%con1%dif%ter

-which gives me the short GC ID, the type of cache and container type and the difficulty and terrain.

That worked great thanks.

For the last two years I've been using a Magellan Explorist 210, and manually entering the info. I tried to download from the web a couple times, but it never worked.

It really never bothered me before, but now that I've downloaded from the web, I bet it will bother me if I have to manually load them again. <_<:)

It really never bothered me before, but now that I've downloaded from the web, I bet it will bother me if I have to manually load them again. :shocked::shocked:

I know just what you mean. I was so relieved when I could stop manually entering coords. I have mild dyslexia. It seemed like no matter how many times I checked the coords I put in, I always had at least one cache entered wrong. And I checked a lot of times!

I personally prefer the GC ID for names which are easier to lookup. I use a 60CSx GSAK macro to generate names for my eTrex, and not sure if it is the default or something I chose, but it creates Custom POI's and mine have names like GC15N1N T/S 2.5/2" which means it is a Traditional Small cache, difficulty 2.5, terrain 2. For comment I checked minimal items which shows last 4 log results (FFFF means last 4 logs were found) and long cache name. When pursuing a cache, I make it a Favorite so I can mark it found.

I have more complete details in CacheMate where I can log results, and also on my nuvi using a GSAK macro that creates a multipage Tour Guide to chime within proximity of caches when driving around.

For some reason when I tried to create POI's using the PQ gpx files directly, they all ended up named "POI" (except parking waypoints) with nothing in the name to identify which was which. And MapSource loaded those gpx files with caches consecutively numbered for names, totally unrelated to anything (I got around that using a native GSAK export for MapSource).

Edited by efflandt