Geo caching near Cancun and Playa del carmen

Hi

I did some Geocaching in that area a few months ago. Thera are several caches over there (well, not as much as in the US) but I can suggest to cache in Cozumel. Is a very nice place to chill and to do some diving and several aquatic activities. You can find caches all over the coast from Tullum to Cancun including the islands Cozumel and Isla Mujeres.

You can try GCTX8T and look for the nearby cahes for Cozumel and Playa del Carmen area and do the same with GCGJM5 for the Cancun area.

Also there is a very friendly geocacher in the area named Dive-n-diva, maybe you can cantact her for more assintance.

Hope you find this info usefull.

Wish you a very nice trip to Mexico and a happy hunting!

Lalonava

We will be in the Cancun Playa del Carmen area in Feb and we would like to do some geo caching. I speak very little spanish and I am having a hard time finding caches in the area. Can anyone assist us?

Muttz&Meg

Glad to see you will be in our country soon. You will love it. My wife and I vacation in the Mayan Riviera almost every year.

There is a virtual cache I would recommend if what you are looking for is a true outback Mayan setting. Probably as close to Indy Jones as you can get. Try visiting Coba (cache GC3FD8). It's a bit of a drive but worth it. A good side trip if you are visting Tulum. There is also the splendor of Chichen Itza (virtual cache GCG9MY). Chichen Itza is a bit more crowded, but very impresive. A nice side trip if you are visiting Chichen Itza is Ek Balam. This is another less visited, but very nice Mayan ruin. You can locate it at 20.891126°, -88.136483°. Also, on your way back have lunch / dinner at Valladolid (Colonial era town). There is a nice restaurant in the main plaza in one of the hotels at I believe 20.690636°, -88.202163°.

If you do plan to go to Tulum (highly recommend it), I would suggest you drop by a nice little restaurant nearby called Oscar & Lalo's. It is located roughly at 20.287865°, -87.374048°. It is in a virgin beach. All you will see is the restaurant and the beach / bay. Will run you at about $30-$45 / ea. Bring cash as they don't take credit cards and only have service in the day.

In the Cancun strip, do the King's lookout (GC4985). Easy one along the only Mayan ruins in the strip.

Last tip... if you do decide to go to Tulum or Chichen Itza, rent a car! That way you ae not restricted to a travel bus schedule.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to contact me should you need any other info. I live way up north in Mexico, but truely love this area of our country!

Saludos y buen viaje!