Impressive Accomplishment!

Harry Dolphin

Last Friday, we had 5-7" of snow. That didn't stop someone from logging 35 caches for the day! I'm very impressed. Not all cache and dashes neither! (Though many of them were.) Some of them took us a half hour to an hour to do, in good weather. Wow. Gotta be dedicated to do them all in a nasty snowstorm.

They sure didn't get very far west! Another IMSpider is born. Always helps when the father in law is with you!

Interesting you brought this up. I received the following log on my "A Walk In The Park" over the weekend:

out caching with father-in-law, easy find TFTC TNLNSL

An easy find I'm sure, but right now it is probably close to 4 star terrain and would be quite an adventure, so that cookie cutter type log set off my "phony meter" causing me to look at the account.

I saw a bunch of fishy finds, but the logs and timing seemed plausible. The caches in the Caldwell area were found "out caching with my father-in-law" and the others were along the Route 80 Corridor and were found while "Heading west, caching along the way". It all sounded feasible.

Looking at his new finds they are again all in the same area and though the accomplishment is unlikely, it's not impossible. Most phonies tend to string together logs on combinations of caches that don't make sense.

So far, this person's finds can.

So I figure:

1. We have another IM Spider on our hands.

2. The guy is fake, phony and a fraud who is actually putting some thought into his charade for some reason.

3. One of our friends is playing an early April Fools joke on us.

I'm not willing to rule out #1 until I check my logbook on A Walk In The Park. That will be an adventure in itself (ouch, do I really have to go back there? :) )

Edited by briansnat

After some thought I came to the conclusion that if it's "2. The guy is fake, phony and a fraud who is actually putting some thought into his charade for some reason.", he is going through great lengths (monitoring the website, learning the lingo, plotting caches) to establish a credible presence on this website. I would be concerned about his motives.

Perhaps Sharp James is about to get out of prison and is looking for a new hobby?

Heading WEST and found caches such as "Eastbound and Down" - pretty impressive!

This is my cache, and if you're going WEST on I-80, you've got to go to Exit 4 and turn around,

then go EAST for 2 miles to the cache location, find the cache, then continue going

EAST another 6 miles to the next exit to turn around and go back WEST. All in all,

this would add 16 miles onto your trip. That is unless he parked illegally on the

westbound side of I-80 and ran across the highway and up into the rest area and

continued another 1/4 mile up the hill.

I plan on driving to the cache sometime in the next week or so (depending upon weather)

and checking out the logbook. This is definitely suspicious.

So much more fun to ferret out a phoney than to laud a great caching effort! Armchair detective work is exhilarating!

I remember how excited I was the first time I got 17 finds in 1 day, and that was a long time after I had started caching. I would have been happy if someone had tried to call me on that endeavor - read the logs and weep!

I will be happy to supply a major load of Kudos if these turn out to be valid finds!

For the "walk in the park", I wonder if somebody mixed up the name of the cache with another, I think it is a fairly "generic" name that could get confused... I can't imagine anybody finding Briansnat's "A Walk in the Park" and not writing a bit more, unless it was "Out HUNTING with my father-in-law, easy find" (I could buy that easily).

Of course, I put a log for one of Briansnat's caches awhile back that mirrored a recent (at the time) fake posting, something like "quick find not far from my hotel" on a long hike find. Did not even get a smile from him...

After some thought I came to the conclusion that if it's "2. The guy is fake, phony and a fraud who is actually putting some thought into his charade for some reason.", he is going through great lengths (monitoring the website, learning the lingo, plotting caches) to establish a credible presence on this website. I would be concerned about his motives.

Perhaps Sharp James is about to get out of prison and is looking for a new hobby?

I have a feeling The Dolphin had already come to this conclusion when he posted the OP. <_<

Interesting you brought this up. I received the following log on my "A Walk In The Park" over the weekend:

out caching with father-in-law, easy find TFTC TNLNSL

An easy find I'm sure, but right now it is probably close to 4 star terrain and would be quite an adventure, so that cookie cutter type log set off my "phony meter" causing me to look at the account.

I saw a bunch of fishy finds, but the logs and timing seemed plausible. The caches in the Caldwell area were found "out caching with my father-in-law" and the others were along the Route 80 Corridor and were found while "Heading west, caching along the way". It all sounded feasible.

Looking at his new finds they are again all in the same area and though the accomplishment is unlikely, it's not impossible. Most phonies tend to string together logs on combinations of caches that don't make sense.

So far, this person's finds can.

So I figure:

1. We have another IM Spider on our hands.

2. The guy is fake, phony and a fraud who is actually putting some thought into his charade for some reason.

3. One of our friends is playing an early April Fools joke on us.

I'm not willing to rule out #1 until I check my logbook on A Walk In The Park. That will be an adventure in itself (ouch, do I really have to go back there? <_< )

I vote #1 but I am a naive trusting idiot sometimes. Like that land I bought in some swamp in Florida.....or the $20 I gave a guy at the Newark parking deck for train fair to New Brunswick...

I'd love to see the logs

I have a feeling The Dolphin had already come to this conclusion when he posted the OP. <_<

Ah, now. Would the dolphin do that??? :) Though I am curious to check some of the local caches to see if they've been signed.

But I know I wouldn't drive down Waterloo Valley Road in a snow storm. I don't think that road is plowed.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

"Curiouser and curiouser". They claim to have found:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9f-c7e62503e0aa

which is published as 1/1 and,

where several cachers with combined finds of 4469 logged a DNF... hmmmmm

Hey, I'm glad to see that LPC isn't missing!! And that my dream of micro spew in NNJ is alive. Oops, wrong thread there. <_<

OK, fine,

No photos posted! no TBs! and an Opus and Anthony fan! where's my tar and feathers! and the delete button....

anyone check any of the logs yet?

still doesn't explain the vast numbers, but I feel like I should share something that might shed light on the crummy logs.

We have a cacher i this area that ALWAYS logs his finds simply as "found it". I thought that was a pretty poor way to say thanks for going through the effort of hiding a really good cache. I was talking to one of my caching friends and we were making pretty rude comments about what a lousy human being this must be.

I am an educator by trade and was teaching a geocaching demonstration one day for a group of 15 special needs students. One of the kids managed to tell me that he had been caching with his dad quite a few times. Imagine my sense of shame when he revealed his caching name, and it was the same name that I'd been berating with one of my friends? Oddly enough, the same friend that I had been talking to about what a lousy cacher this must be, was also my co-leader for that session.... so we both felt like smucks. Fortunately, we had never said anything publicly, nor posted anything inappropriate about our discussion.

Long story not so short, there are all types of people who play this game. I'd rather read a great, detailed, creative log, but for some people, that just isn't going to happen.

I've deleted his logs on my caches. If by chance they turn out to be legit, I will restore the logs and have a big helping of roast crow. I doubt I'll need to.

I did a search based on text "Big Opie and Anthony fan. XM 202. Jimmy Norton Rules. Ron and Fez noon to three." on their profile page. This is what Google gave me:

Busted!

m_41827d9eedf6419f8abf1b1d78d2fc77.jpg

Edited by weathernowcast

I've deleted his logs on my caches. If by chance they turn out to be legit, I will restore the logs and have a big helping of roast crow. I doubt I'll need to.

I did a search based on text "Big Opie and Anthony fan. XM 202. Jimmy Norton Rules. Ron and Fez noon to three." on their profile page. This is what Google gave me:

Busted!

Hey, I like all those people (and I'd even go so far to say Jimmy Norton rules), but I don't look anything like that! :D

It does look like a well-known Pa. cacher busted this guy though. What's up with these phony loggers?

This may be a silly question, but why would anyone want to actually spend the time to make up fake logs? Okay so I am skeptical too - it only took me 2 years to get 250 finds. 96 finds in a half month is a pretty good average. I just don't understand why someone would want to waste time making up fake logs - I wish I had that kind of time - maybe I'd actually have found more than 250 caches in 2 years.

Edited by DammitNanet

This may be a silly question, but why would anyone want to actually spend the time to make up fake logs? Okay so I am skeptical too - it only took me 2 years to get 250 finds. 96 finds in a half month is a pretty good average. I just don't understand why someone would want to waste time making up fake logs - I wish I had that kind of time - maybe I'd actually have found more than 250 caches in 2 years.

I think it is just a prank...

I think they would get a kick out of us talking about it so much....if they saw these posts.

Edited by weathernowcast

I think it is just a prank...

I think they would get a kick out of us talking about it so much....if they saw these posts.

Good possibility. Especially after that whole OP thing over the summer.

Okay, this just came up in my notifications as it is on my watchlist. Maybe my favorite one so far from this cacher:

Seven Tee 5 by programmer64

I have done this cache and it's far from a cache and dash. You can only do it at low tide unless you have a boat or want to swim, which I wouldn't recommend this time of year. On the day the cacher in question claims to have found it, low tide was at either around 5 am or 6 pm, so I guess he did it in the dark - that' s dedication for you :rolleyes: It's also a three mile round trip, and he logged 14 other caches that day. That's pretty impressive given these short winter days. Although I guess if he found it at 5 am, he would have had plenty of time to grab those other caches :)

Edited by trowel32

Ok Terrific. He had me fooled. This guy found my Sam I am cache, which is a quick and easy on and off 80. He didn't comply with the logging requirements, so I gently requested him to update his log (which he did). He also found most of the easy caches in the area that day and DNF'd this one, STUMPED, like everyone except Keithj999. Seemed entirely reasonable.

Then I got the note from the "prominent group of PA cachers" about no signed logs.

Either this guy is prolific and doesn't carry a pen, or I'm calling SHANANGINS!