Has the economy created more supply of the ultra-rares?

Lemon Fresh Dog

I'm not an active trader of coins and/or even a buyer - more of a "catch as catch can" person.

However, I *do* want some of the ultra-rare coins. The first 10 - the really, really tough stuff.

For those watching the trading a little more actively - have you seen more of these coming into the trading realm?

As most of the ones I am interested in are non-trackable (it was really before tracking) - I am not sure if I can even "name names" here, but you know the ones I mean :(

When I say trading, I also mean straight selling.

I think I have noticed more coins from personal collections being sold. But I think the hard to find ones are being held back. People are scrambling to make a few extra bucks, but still want to hold on to the precious ones. Those HTF coins seem to be the ones people are holding on to and have to be pried from their hands.

Actually Frank, I'd say the answer is yes. It seems now that I find one of the first ten or so every week come available. Although, I can't make the broad wager that it's the economy. I think it's the economy, with the combination of people just not collecting anymore, since geocoins just lost their way.

Most of the people I deal with just can't stand coming onto the boards anymore. They can't find an actual geocoin anywhere, and heck, they need money.

TMA

I think maybe the economy has brought our (my!) attention to where our $$$ goes, and what's really important. It's been interesting too, to watch the growth of geocaching and geocoins, and the popularity of both. Geocoins were such an amazing phenomenon, an off-shot of caching that just exploded in popularity. Not sure where they will go, but we do enjoy watching our talented cachers work. :(

ps-likewise Moop Alongs comment about the boards, sad part of forums, the anger.

Edited by julia51:)

There does seem to be more of a coins for coins sake happening. It's similar in some ways to other challenges with the hobby (micro-spew, cache to trash trading, and numbers). In fact, when it comes to actual caching (remember that!) I only log caches I like and always trade up.

However, they still appeal to me and I just "filter" out the noise of those that I don't agree with. Life's too short and there are really a lot of great folks here that I do enjoy *knowing*.

When it comes to coins, I only like personals, those that speak to my interests, and ... the earliest ones.

So if anyone knows folks getting rid of the very early ones - you tell them about LFD! He wants the super-early ones (the ones pre-Moun10Bike v2).

There does seem to be more of a coins for coins sake happening. It's similar in some ways to other challenges with the hobby (micro-spew, cache to trash trading, and numbers). In fact, when it comes to actual caching (remember that!) I only log caches I like and always trade up.

However, they still appeal to me and I just "filter" out the noise of those that I don't agree with. Life's too short and there are really a lot of great folks here that I do enjoy *knowing*.

When it comes to coins, I only like personals, those that speak to my interests, and ... the earliest ones.

So if anyone knows folks getting rid of the very early ones - you tell them about LFD! He wants the super-early ones (the ones pre-Moun10Bike v2).

No, not him!! me, me, me!!! :(

There does seem to be more of a coins for coins sake happening. ...

i think this business of coins for coins sake happened when it became big biz selling tracking numbers, icons, making coins just for selling to others, etc. when collecting for the love of a coin/trade became coins for the money - whether trading one supposed rare coin for several others one could sell or making coins as a business.

coins really aren't about caching any longer. i bought my first ones, the canadian coins, back in the day, because i knew i was never going to be able to afford to make one like moun10man and the rest. they were great swag!

those canada coins were cool coins. only trackable on the web site where you bought them and so, separate from GS. except if you could figure out how, you could have the icon on the coin on your profile page - if i remember correctly. i wish i had kept one of the first ones i bought.

what is interesting to try and figure out, would people still be into collecting and trading, if the coins were out there on their own and not "geocoins."

i think so. rather like beanie babies and hot wheels or dolls or whatever folks like to collect. this forum (and others) keeps us all together in a general location to talk about coins and missions and gifts. it is the psychology of collecting glittery, shiny things that appeals to us.

it would be difficult to divorce these coins from geo at this point. too well established, but i am looking at a couple of coins that came for christmas that don't say geocaching, geocoin or geo anything on them. still beautiful. and nary a cache to be seen.

and like any collectible, when the economy turns sour, selling off non-necessary items becomes an option to raising money for "life."

i would love to add to my top ten coins if anyone wants to send one my way. i have some great photo prints to trade!

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

:D What's interesting is that the "geo" coins actually came from another type of personal coin. The military coin. These have been around longer than geocoins, and unless I am mistaken, the first personals were done by the companies that did the military coins (Coins and Pins has and continues to really do fantastic work - they do a very, very high-quality product and military coins were mostly what I saw aas samples of their work when I first did a coin with them).

When I say I am seeking the ultra-rares (and hoping that the "movement" will allow some of these to surface for me) - it is more because I was never able to get the "first 10" or what have you. I'm looking for the really early coins that are just plain hard to find. Like, Moun10Bike v1 hard! Groundspeak squares, etc.

I still collect coins, but tend to be really, really selective. I'm a huge fan of personals from people I meet as well as from my "forum" friends. Which is an odd thing, but we all have the "folks we know" whom we've never met. Oh - and I suppose I'm a sucker for anything navigation and exploration themed. Oh - and archeology and historical .... okay... maybe my "net" is wider than I even want to admit :(

Those rare coins are still very elusive.... alas....

Oh yes! I also have a selection of historical prints of dead politicians to trade! :P

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

<_< What's interesting is that the "geo" coins actually came from another type of personal coin. The military coin....

come to think of it, my first coin wasn't a canada coin, but a challenge coin from one of the higher ups from fort irwin, near me, that i met while covering a story the army was involved in. i still have that one!

rsg