Residents evacuated over bomb scare in borough.

Once again it looks like a cache that has not been labeled as a cache. Don't blame the police but, they should really learn what this game is all about and where the caches are.

There are 699,758 active caches worldwide.

It is not reasonable to expect police officers to acquaint themselves with each of our little packages. I think rather it is our little community that needs to be more careful in how and where we hide our caches.

Once again it looks like a cache that has not been labeled as a cache. Don't blame the police but, they should really learn what this game is all about and where the caches are.

It is not reasonable to expect police officers to acquaint themselves with each of our little packages. I think rather it is our little community that needs to be more careful in how and where we hide our caches.

Agreed!

Given that I once saw a story of them blowing up someones paper lunch sack, I think it would not make much difference.

Agreed!

Ditto...

Ditto on GOF's opinion.....

I've seen a few PVC pipe caches, probably the worst one was originally hidded UNDER a thruway overpass. The only reason it was moved was that a nearby homeowner didn't like people going down the access road.....

The cache was a PVC pipe with electrical tape around it, bungeed to a tree when I found it. From what I have since discovered, this was the way it was hidden under the bridge.

If I had found it in it's original spot, even with my GPS pointing me right at it, I'd have given serious thought to calling in the cops. PVC pipes just aren't worth the hassle.

On the other hand, I've found that cops usually won't even look twice at a micro at a truck stop, I had a cop roll up on me when I was filling out the logbook on one at a rest area, and decided to let the cop know what I was doing so there wouldn't be any trouble, the cop told me he thought I was a trucker, they leave messages for each other that way at times.... go figure.

Good evening Mick.

People often say things like "Id never use pvc pipe. It looks like a pipe bomb. Truth is any pipe is a bad idea. Not because it looks like a bomb but rather because it looks like what people think a bomb should look like. Truth is that any container, or anything that could be used as a container, can be made into a bomb. Yes, even those film cans that so many of us love to hate. One of the few redeeming qualities that a film can has is that it looks like trash, people just tend to dismiss it without a second thought.

Edit to add that the fact that a film can looks like trash is also one of its detriments. Go figure.

Edited by gof1
Good evening Mick.

People often say things like "Id never use pvc pipe. It looks like a pipe bomb. Truth is any pipe is a bad idea. Not because it looks like a bomb but rather because it looks like what people think a bomb should look like. Truth is that any container, or anything that could be used as a container, can be made into a bomb. Yes, even those film cans that so many of us love to hate. One of the few redeeming qualities that a film can has is that it looks like trash, people just tend to dismiss it without a second thought.

Edit to add that the fact that a film can looks like trash is also one of its detriments. Go figure.

I agree. Cache hiders need to think about what people that know nothing about geocaches could think. Most people have a fear of pipe bombs. Therefore, an unmarked PVC pipe container is not a good idea in an urban area. Edited by TrailGators

While I don't think it's a good idea to plant a "bomb looking" cache I think it is sad that things have gotten so bad in our society that people see a potential bomb in a harmless cache or any other piece of pipe....Did that make sense? :(

I just hate it that we've all gotten so jumpy!

Good evening Mick.

Well then how about the fact that an ammo can looks like, well, an can of ammunition.

While I don't think it's a good idea to plant a "bomb looking" cache I think it is sad that things have gotten so bad in our society that people see a potential bomb in a harmless cache or any other piece of pipe....Did that make sense? :(

What does a bomb look like?

I'm sure the world's bomb tech's would love to know!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'm sure the world's bomb tech's would love to know!

Hmmm.....maybe pipes could be one form. I realize that anything can be used as a bomb but some items scream bomb! If I see a film canister my first thought is film. If I see a piece of pvc out of place I don't think about plumbing. Hell a car can be turned into a bomb but you don't see the bomb squad called everytime someone sees a car! I'm pretty sure you know what I meant by my post. :D

For one thing, it has to be large enough to cause significant damage. A translucent lock and lock where you can clearly see items inside is also unlikely to be mistaken for a bomb as long as there are no suspicious objects inside. I doubt anyone called for the bomb squad when they spotted a blinker (the CIA, maybe, depending on where blinker is found, but not the bomb squad).

I've thought about labeling a cache clearly and leaving contact information. Then thinking more into it, I wouldn't call that number if I'm in the bomb squad. There has been news reports of bombs detonated by cell phones.

Too bad more police departments are not like this one.

Edited by Chrysalides

I shake my head in wonder every time I hear about PVC pipe caches. It's like taking a whole bunch of bad ideas and combining them. The perfect storm of stupidity, perhaps? The most common excuse I hear from the proponents of PVC pipe caches is the age old axiom, "Well, it keeps water in... it must be able to keep water out". What a load of horse squeeze. To date I've found over a dozen caches made from PVC pipe. Of those, I found one that showed no history of moisture issues. I'm no math whiz, but I'd say the odds were against them being waterproof.

Add to that the perception of our uber-paranoid society and a PVC pipe cache goes from a bad idea to an asinine one.

For one thing, it has to be large enough to cause significant damage. A translucent lock and lock where you can clearly see items inside is also unlikely to be mistaken for a bomb as long as there are no suspicious objects inside. I doubt anyone called for the bomb squad when they spotted a blinker (the CIA, maybe, depending on where blinker is found, but not the bomb squad).

I've thought about labeling a cache clearly and leaving contact information. Then thinking more into it, I wouldn't call that number if I'm in the bomb squad. There has been news reports of bombs detonated by cell phones.

Too bad more police departments are not like this one.

Many clear containers used as geocaches, have been destroyed by bomb squads in the past. This has been dsicussed many times over. Don't assume that clear caches are always better.

Does all this talk of labelling mean I can place a bomb, slap a geocaching sticker on it and expect it to be left alone? No gc.com sticker is going to stop the bomb squad detonating something that a member of the public has called in as a suspect package. As far as I can see from this thread, the old maxim still holds: Once the bomb squad have been called, something is going to be blown up, even if they know exactly what it is... :(

Good evening Mick.

Hey GOF! Yes, you are right that any pipe "looks" like what the general public expects a bomb to look like.

I had a chance to talk to a Sheriff's Deputy last night at work and he said they do know about the sport, but really wish we would use just clear plastic containers, even one's that look "pipe like" as then they can see what's inside instead of having to call out the bomb squad.

He makes a valid point, ANY cache can be considered a "suspicious container", but if the responding officer can see that it's just got a notebook and some crappy McToys in it, he's liable to, at worst, toss the thing in the trash. Maybe we should think a bit more about what container would be best for the type of area we are placing the cache in. As GOF said a film can is likely to be considered trash. A hide a key would probably get the same response, a cammo/electrical/duct tape covered pipe/peanut butter jar etc is much more likely to make muggles think of a bomb in an urban setting, much less an ammo can.

Good evening Mick.

Well then how about the fact that an ammo can looks like, well, an can of ammunition.

Yes, an ammo can can be the wrong container for a particular hide.

Good evening Mick.

Hey GOF! Yes, you are right that any pipe "looks" like what the general public expects a bomb to look like.

I had a chance to talk to a Sheriff's Deputy last night at work and he said they do know about the sport, but really wish we would use just clear plastic containers, even one's that look "pipe like" as then they can see what's inside instead of having to call out the bomb squad.

He makes a valid point, ANY cache can be considered a "suspicious container", but if the responding officer can see that it's just got a notebook and some crappy McToys in it, he's liable to, at worst, toss the thing in the trash. Maybe we should think a bit more about what container would be best for the type of area we are placing the cache in. As GOF said a film can is likely to be considered trash. A hide a key would probably get the same response, a cammo/electrical/duct tape covered pipe/peanut butter jar etc is much more likely to make muggles think of a bomb in an urban setting, much less an ammo can.

Hello Mick. You're exactly right about the urban setting. According to the newspaper article, the cache was in the bushes at the "former office space at Landis Tool Co". A quick Google search shows that it was a large machine shop that was in business for many years, but was bought out, the Waynesboro location closed, and moved to Maryland. Why cache placers and seekers think we can play this game in the bushes of vacant industrial businesses is beyond me in the first place. I don't see where anyone else mentioned it, but the rest of the caches in the series (3, I believe) have all been disabled on the advice of local law enforcement. I'd assume the exact same containers are in place.

Why is everyone talking about PVC caches? Yes, this one had PVC BUT it was inside a coke bottle - so what could be seen was a coke bottle, not a bomb looking piece of PVC pipe.

As an interesting side note, the only time I was ever in a group that found ammunition (large flare or flash/bang rounds) they were in a cardboard box labeled as such. This was before the hysterical generation, so we just called the state police and they picked the box up and turned it over to the military.

Any pvc tube that would fit inside a coke bottle would be far too small to be an explosive device of any consequence. Don't these cops have any common sense?

I think they have these cops flush with so many cool new toys paid for with homeland security cash, that they can't wait to take em out and play with em.

Any pvc tube that would fit inside a coke bottle would be far too small to be an explosive device of any consequence. Don't these cops have any common sense?

I think they have these cops flush with so many cool new toys paid for with homeland security cash, that they can't wait to take em out and play with em.

I don't expect any caches to be hidden in Woodburn Oregon for a very long time. On December 13, 2008 a suspicious package was noticed in bushes outside The West Coast Bank. The local police called in an OSP Bomb Squad tech who must not have felt it was too much of a hazard and took it inside the bank.

Not long afterward he and a local cop were killed instantly. The Chief of Police underwent many hours of surgery and I hope will survive.

A father & son team has now been charged with murder and a laundry list of other charges.

I'd rather see the cops use the toys than get blown up.

I've opened several "pipe type" caches, but never within 528 feet of a building/bridge/railroad.

Just because you "THINK" you know what a bomb looks like, think again.

Stay safe and have a Merry Christmas/Hanucah/kwanza/Ramadan or whatever.

I've been waiting for the real story to emerge. It was a small tube with a cap, inserted into a round Christmas Coke bottle. It had a wire to hang it from the bush.

In other words, the cops spent four hours blowing up a Christmas ornament.

<_<

I've been waiting for the real story to emerge. It was a small tube with a cap, inserted into a round Christmas Coke bottle. It had a wire to hang it from the bush.

In other words, the cops spent four hours blowing up a Christmas ornament.

:ph34r:

Yes, but one wouldn't normally expect a Christmas ornament to be in the bushes of a closed industrial business, with a parade of strangers coming into the neighborhood to root around. <_<

I don't expect any caches to be hidden in Woodburn Oregon for a very long time. On December 13, 2008 a suspicious package was noticed in bushes outside The West Coast Bank. The local police called in an OSP Bomb Squad tech who must not have felt it was too much of a hazard and took it inside the bank.

Not long afterward he and a local cop were killed instantly. The Chief of Police underwent many hours of surgery and I hope will survive.

If this is how it happened then presumably the two who were not from the bomb squad were not following any kind of protocol. Taking it indoors was bad enough, but then the cop and the chief should have been outside the building along with everybody else. From your description it sounds like they were standing next to the tech asking if he was going to cut the red or the blue wire next. <_<

I read somewhere how many real bombs US police departments have to deal with each year (pretty well all of them of domestic origin). It was a surprisingly high number and changed my understanding of why so many caches get blown up. The brave people in local PD bomb squads across the US have apparently been dealing with what in any other country would be called a terrorist problem for many years (but it seems it only counts as terrorism if it's politically motivated).

Ever hear of a binary explosive or nerve agent??

Agreed!

While we must be as responsible as possible with our placements - I don't think it is unreasonable to ask the cops to visit our hide-n-seek a cache page type in the address and take a look and just for a moment consider the possibility that it might be one of our game pieces. They don't need to get familar with all of our gamepieces - just the ones close enough to the "scene" to be the potential problem.

And the cacher could, and might very well be, made to pay for the expenses! I know of one that had to pay recently!

Technically, there was no crime committed.
In light of this quote from the police, why do you think that there is any reason for any geocacher to pay for the expenses? If the police were to go out and blow up your mailbox would you expect to be charged for their trouble?

It should be noted that I think everybody did the right thing in this instance. The cache did not appear to be one that should get esploded. The muggle who called in teh cache to the police acted responsibly. The police appear to have used proper procedure. The reporter wrote a pretty balanced piece.

Also, I think that it's important for the police to handle every one of these calls as if they are going out after a bomb that may explode at any moment. I don't think it's prudent to expect tham to check the website to see if their's a cache nearby. In fact, even if they found that their was a cache nearby, I'd want them to treat the object like a bomb unless one of them had actually found it as a geocache previously. Basically, we need to recruit more bomb squad members into the game. Reporters too.

And the cacher could, and might very well be, made to pay for the expenses! I know of one that had to pay recently!

In light of this quote from the police, why do you think that there is any reason for any geocacher to pay for the expenses? If the police were to go out and blow up your mailbox would you expect to be charged for their trouble?

It should be noted that I think everybody did the right thing in this instance. The cache did not appear to be one that should get esploded. The muggle who called in teh cache to the police acted responsibly. The police appear to have used proper procedure. The reporter wrote a pretty balanced piece.

Also, I think that it's important for the police to handle every one of these calls as if they are going out after a bomb that may explode at any moment. I don't think it's prudent to expect tham to check the website to see if their's a cache nearby. In fact, even if they found that their was a cache nearby, I'd want them to treat the object like a bomb unless one of them had actually found it as a geocache previously. Basically, we need to recruit more bomb squad members into the game. Reporters too.

I'll only say that no charges were filed against the cacher who was then made to pay for the expenses...I'll ask if the cacher would like to post a comment, he's more of a coins forums person though!

btw...knowing mailboxes are fed property, YES, I would expect trouble should I decide to make my box suspicious looking!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I'll only say that no charges were filed against the cacher who was then made to pay for the expenses...I'll ask if the cacher would like to post a comment, he's more of a coins forums person though!

btw...knowing mailboxes are fed property, YES, I would expect trouble should I decide to make my box suspicious looking!

That's hooey. The mailbox that I purchased at home depot and then paid to have encased in brick next to my driveway belongs to me.

Also, you changed the scenario. If you wrapped your mailbox to look like a Christmas present and the local police came and blew it up, would you expect to pay them for the trouble.

Finally, regarding the mystery cacher who you say had to pay for such a service, I would argue that if his geocache was legally placed, he should not have paid. Hiring an attorney to tell them to pound sand would have been a more efficient use of his money. In fact, I suspect that their lots of fellow geocachers who would have happily contributed to a fund to pay for that use.

Edited by sbell111

That's hooey. The mailbox that I purchased at home depot and then paid to have encased in brick next to my driveway belongs to me.

Also, you changed the scenario. If you wrapped your mailbox to look like a Christmas present and the local police came and blew it up, would you expect to pay them for the trouble.

Finally, regarding the mystery cacher who you say had to pay for such a service, I would argue that if his geocache was legally placed, he should not have paid. Hiring an attorney to tell them to pound sand would have been a more efficient use of his money. In fact, I suspect that their lots of fellow geocachers who would have happily contributed to a fund to pay for that use.

I believe that EVERY mailbox purchased has a little note on the side or front stating it IS the property of the feds, you might want to check yours! You are allowed some leeway when putting it up, but try to place it where the PO doesn't want it! Try to put some wires coming out of it like the cache in question had (as I read it). My SIL is the Post Master in our area, she's informed me about this quite thoroughly (I know, now my SIL will be a "mystery" person...right???)

I'm guessing the person I speak of did their best to not have to pay, and I would say the cache was legal (although I don't know the specifics of the cache in this instance). But you'd likely then say they didn't try hard enough??

I read somewhere how many real bombs US police departments have to deal with each year (pretty well all of them of domestic origin). It was a surprisingly high number and changed my understanding of why so many caches get blown up. The brave people in local PD bomb squads across the US have apparently been dealing with what in any other country would be called a terrorist problem for many years (but it seems it only counts as terrorism if it's politically motivated).

That's an interesting point. Quite often I wonder about these apparent over-reactions; after all, in the UK we had real pipe-bombs and such like regularly left (and exploding) in popular urban locations all over the country until fairly recently (before geocaching though!). And yet caches here rarely cause a comparable incident, even though there are plenty of them around.

We don't hear about the genuine bombs found in the USA, so tend to imagine that they are as rare as they are here; but perhaps they're quite common. So under the circumstances it's not such a surprise that the police are rather jumpy. I would have thought that they'd check geocaching.com as a matter of procedure though; it might not absolutely guarantee that the suspect "device" is safe but it puts a different perspective on the report.

That's an interesting point. Quite often I wonder about these apparent over-reactions; after all, in the UK we had real pipe-bombs and such like regularly left (and exploding) in popular urban locations all over the country until fairly recently (before geocaching though!). And yet caches here rarely cause a comparable incident, even though there are plenty of them around.

We don't hear about the genuine bombs found in the USA, so tend to imagine that they are as rare as they are here; but perhaps they're quite common. So under the circumstances it's not such a surprise that the police are rather jumpy. I would have thought that they'd check geocaching.com as a matter of procedure though; it might not absolutely guarantee that the suspect "device" is safe but it puts a different perspective on the report.

I wonder if they don't tell us about the majority of these scares merely to keep us feeling safe...or to prevent more "copy-cat" incidents? While in the desert one year, I found and picked up a bomb (a chain bomb as Tod called it). It was two glass containers wrapped with a motorcycle chain, there was a wire connecting the containers, the containers had some liquids of some kind in them. I had no idea hat it was and asked Tod, he calmly told me and I hurriedly put it down! We went to the visitor's center and spent a few hours with them before it was found, they wouldn't allow us to merely take them to the location, we had to just wait and describe it !