My Geocaching Bag

wavector

100_1175.jpg

Here is my geobag. Bumping this thread to find wavector where oh where have you gone????????

2 Rino 530HCx

1 Nuvi 500

1 PDA

3 Flash lights (extra batteries)

1 Kabar Knife

2 lighters

pens

Magnetic pickup tool

Small screwdriver

Geocoin Pouch

Swag

Compass

(edited to ad list)

Edited by snowball 58

It looks like the thread has died. I had to look up what a magnetic pickup tool was. Looks cool! Good thing I can't think of any situation that I would need it in. (Which is a very good thing, because I should be saving money.)

It's not worth posting a photo, but I've added some Moo minicards, a headlamp, and a geocoin for dipping to my bag. In a day or two I'll be getting a multitool as a replacement for my knife I lost several months ago.

(I used to be a wetland delineation tech. My coworker and I were on a viewing platform when we saw fishing line stuck in some bushes. We leaned over to untangle it and all I heard was a "plop!" Yep, fell out of my pocket. :) Well I climbed over the railing and jumped 4 feet down into the pond. I had to stand on my toes so the water wouldn't go over my boots. No luck after spending several minutes digging through six inches of muck. It was fun, but I just wish I had found my knife. :) Which is worse for the environment: discarded fishing line or a knife?)

It looks like the thread has died.

It hasn't died so much as been interrupted so that I could go out of town for awhile. I am still accepting entries and in fact if you want to win the 2007 Silver Earth Turtle then you need to have a picture posted here!

I ran in to a cache that required a pick up tool just the other day. I didn't have mine and hence I got a DNF.

Post a picture of your geocaching bag and list the contents and you can win a nice prize!

It hasn't died so much as been interrupted so that I could go out of town for awhile. I am still accepting entries and in fact if you want to win the 2007 Silver Earth Turtle then you need to have a picture posted here!

I ran in to a cache that required a pick up tool just the other day. I didn't have mine and hence I got a DNF.

Post a picture of your geocaching bag and list the contents and you can win a nice prize!

Yeah, I've already got a pic posted a page back. Thanks though. But what I meant was that no one was posting anymore pics. :lol: Maybe with your post people will start again! I think it's fun seeing what other people carry around with them.

My multi just came in the mail yesterday. It's got a saw (too bad I don't really need a saw anymore :lol: ). I am so tempted to take it out into the garden and see how well it can cut down azaleas and lilacs. Except I know someone will make me live to regret that. :bad:

I think everyone that wanted to post did and now......

On to the prizes.

Opalsns

I have already given away a few prizes in this thread but I am willing to bet that I can scare up a few more pictures! As you know you must have a picture posted in this thread to be eligible to win the 2007 Earth Turtle, it may not be how you win the coin but it is a necessary prerequisite to winning.

If you post a picture here you could win an Albertosaurus geocoin but other geocoin prizes may appear on this thread as well.

I am going to pull one of the existing pictures over here, any name already posted here will eligible to win this geocoin prize. If your name is not posted here then you cannot win this geocoin prize but you would still be eligible to win the Albertosaurus geocoin or any other geocoin posted here after you post a picture of your geocaching bag and list the contents.

This 2006 Utah geocoin is going to be given away to someone on this thread. I have to make a few more name slips and do the draw but I will do that soon.

Thanks for the reminder opalsns!!

GeocoinPrize.jpg

eh im bored so lets do this. im new to geocaching and only have 12 finds but i like to keep stuff "together" so i just keep this hanging in the safe so i can grab it and go whenever im in the mood (did two this morning!). all the stuff up front is for trading.

the other stuff is the 2m/440 ham radio, spare batteries, pen, compass, notepad, bug repellant, and of course the GPS unit. i already have a flashlight in my EDC and a spare in my truck so a third in the bag isnt really necessary.

to be honest, the bag usually stays in the car and i just grab the pen, the GPS, and one of the trade items at random and throw them in my pocket as i head out from the car. i write down whatever ones i ahve done in the notebook so i remember to log them when i get home.

geocachebag.jpg

My Geocaching Bag 'Won' best to steal last night.

Short version

Someone decided to enter my garage last night and go through both of our cars. The only thing they took, passing up a purse, TOMTOM and other valuable items, was our Geobag. On the up side I had our 2 GPSr in the house and not in the bag like they usually are. It wasn't kids as we live in the country and you can see the foot prints in the snow led to where they pulled over and got out - Grrrrrrrr

At least the memory of our bag lives on in pictures on this thread and maybe we just got a thief muggle into the game :)

Edited by WatchDog2020

I'm sorry to hear about your bag WatchDog. On the positive side, it sounds like nothing too valuable was taken and you can now post a picture of your new bag! :laughing:

The bag and extra cell phone holder ran me $125 and another $50-$75 worth of Compass, knife etc. inside. Could have been worse YES! As the $700 worth of Gpsr(s) were not in it. BUT - Think they got a travel bug ;)

I use my bag for mountain biking, day hikes, and caching, so I carry a few items that the others may not carry.

Heres the list from memory (I may miss a couple items):

water

whistle

carabiner

watertight match container w/ strike anywhere matches

duct tape wrapped around match container

Bic lighter

flint and steel

dryer lint for catching sparks

first aid kit

small map compass

small backcountry first aid pamphlet

gu packets

chemical hand warmers

watertight container for cell phone

spoke wrench

gerber multi-tool

small pocket knife

razor blade box cutter

crank bros 17 multi tool

zip ties

tire levers

small folding saw

patch kit

emergency blanket

small orange vest (for geocaching during hunting season)

25' of 550 cord

1 29er Tube

bag004.jpg

OK, as promised..

477549420_wFcFE-L.jpg

Nothing too exciting.

Garmin Nuvi (beanbag mount) and Venture HC

Tools include : magnetic pickup and mirror, folded mirror in box with light, long piece of wire, multi-tool that includes needlenose plier, flashlights.

Cache repair kit : log strips in several different sizes (in film canister), plastic baggies of different sizes, larger ziplocs. Two of the film cans contain trash bags either for my use or as trade items.

Trade items, geocoins and travel bugs.

Spare batteries, pens, compass, hand sanitizer, fingernail brush and sunglasses.

Not shown : Palm Vx in metal shell, small first aid kit, box of 13 gallon plastic bags (the office type with drawstring) for CITO.

Edited by Chrysalides

Here's my cache bag ... sadly it's still missing the GPS but the Pony and I are on the hunt.

lisasbd026.jpg

Sofar I've included

a log book

a pencil

my puddle dropping camera

a safety kit ...aka...my little green bag...in case I have to hold a safety meeting

chocolates ...a treat

a Klean Kanteen...no plastic water bottles please

nitro...just in case things get exciting

my favourite crystal...it likes to travel

the car keys ...I can't leave those in the car

I have that same journal, I write down TBs, Geocoins, and Puzzle in it!

MyGeoBag.jpg

Sorry for the crummy image quality, I don't have any batteries to put in my good camera right now.

This is my bag and all the stuff I currently use for caching. It's not much yet, but growing every day.

It's an over-the-shoulder messenger bag containing...

1 Butane lighter |

1 Regular lighter - Since you never know what you might need out there...

1 Mini Mag-lite - To light the way (Going to get a small LED flashlight when I can afford it)

1 Compass/whistle - The whistle is loud and shrill enough to call for help, if I should somehow get lost.

1 Garmin GPS - etrex Vista HCx, purchased from ebay for $199 factory refurbished.

2 or 3 Pens - For writing in my notebook, and cache logs

1 Leatherman Tool - The "Blast" model, including pliers, scissors, knife, screwdrivers, saw, file, etc.

1 Keychain Knife - Just a little keychain-sized pocket knife from a quickshop. Surprisingly sharp and useful.

1 Mini Notebook - A miniature composition notebook for various uses.

I still plan on adding a small first-aid kit, and maybe an emergency blanket and/or poncho, but I probably won't need most of that for the short little adventures I've gone on so far in the outdoors. I don't use half the stuff in here on a regular basis anyway, but it's always nice to be the prepared one in the group!

Excellent Idea re: the emergency blanket. My hubby carries one in the truck. The foil like material reflects body heat back to the person, not just for the cold, but you know how you shiver when your in pain, i'm sure it would help there. What an AWESOME addition to a geocaching bag!!!!!!!!

Opalsns

Excellent Idea re: the emergency blanket. My hubby carries one in the truck. The foil like material reflects body heat back to the person, not just for the cold, but you know how you shiver when your in pain, i'm sure it would help there. What an AWESOME addition to a geocaching bag!!!!!!!!

Opalsns

Well thank you. I figure it's especially good for long walks in the cold months. You never know what will happen, and it's one of the things I was told to always have with you in the bush, just in case you need to spend the night.

They also make emergency ponchos in about the same size box (about 3"x5"x1") so these two items will fit in any bag that you'd take on a long walk. Summer is coming, and if you live in a region where the rains can be wild, unpredictable, and sometimes sudden, you'll be glad you brought a poncho for the walk home or back to the car.

It's usually the small stuff that takes up the tiniest amount of room in your bag that will make your day so much better in the event of an emergency. If you're going on a long treck, some of the other things I recommend are A lighter, Waterproof container of strike-anywhere matches, magnesium block with flint on the back (and something metal like a knife to scrape the magnesium and strike the flint), a bowie knife, or at least a really nice pocket knife and/or multi-tool, and a first-aid kit. You can get a small, basic one that'll fit in your bag for about 4.99.

Once again, most of this stuff is for a long walk, not for strolling out for a quick park and grab. I usually just bring my GPS and a Pen if I'm not going out into the wild.... but in the wild, it's always the most basic, easy to learn survival techniques that you will use most often to save your skin if something terrible happens. And if you're walking with a group, you're everyone's hero if you pack to be prepared for anything.

2584248230103331371S600x600Q85.jpg

My husband and I both carry smallish bags and each kid of the 4 kids, if they join us, likes to bring their own bag or at least a pocket full of swag.

In my bag I have:

One small backpack

One GeoBeagle :rolleyes:

Compass (straight from Groundspeak!)

One large and one small flashlight

Ziplock baggies

Swag including rubber duckies, slinky, bead kits, rings, yo yo, keychain, bugs in slime (I don't usually pick up swag, but I like to leave it for the kids - and the big kids like my husband!)

Wetwipes - did I mention the kids?

Small notebook

Pain reliever - did I mention my big kid husband?! B)

Two kinds of sunblock - hey, this IS Florida after all!

Bottle of water

Cell phone

GPSr - brand new, haven't even used this one yet!!!

Spare batteries

I could probably also use some bandaids, Kleenex, and snacks!! :unsure:

Edited by sweetpea3

One more addition to my caching bag : Fenix LD20 Cree X5 LED flashlight.

In its brightest setting, this sucker is bright! I got it because my cheap LED light is not bright enough to light up dark holes in the day (not at night, where it is more than sufficient).

For such an expensive light, I must say the packaging looks a little disappointing, but the construction is impressive.

I wish I had a geodog to stuff in my bag. Do you think a geo-lovebird would cut it? :)

Can anyone tell me what the emergency blanket is made of? I've heard of it described as tinfoil and it sounds like it's a one-use thing. Also is it the same as a "space blanket"?

OK I'll play.

Most of the time I have just my GPS and a pen.

But when I make a day of it (which doesn't happen very often anymore) I will grab my bag. It's a knock-off of the Maxpedition Fatboy. (like $16 on ebay)

3343846883_b955f84bbc.jpg

The goodies inside:

3343847321_5b83dc7424.jpg

Water bottle clipped the the bag

Couple of pens

Compass

Folding knife

Extra batteries (non rechargeable so I don't have to remember to charge them)

Small calculator

Couple of extra nano caches and a bison-tube style cache all with new logs

Chapstick

Lighter

Extra log books of various sizes

Bug Spray

A few bandaids, sunscreen, antiseptic wipes

And when I head out of town onto the country roads on my motorcycle, my Glock 20

95% of the time it's just the GPS and a pen though.

And when I head out of town onto the country roads on my motorcycle, my Glock 20

95% of the time it's just the GPS and a pen though.

Whee, a gun, I think that's a new one on this thread. Do you mind my asking why you carry it? Basically, is it meant for protection from people or animals? Because if it's the former...well I was always under the impression that the country was much safer than cities. (Please let it be bears, please let it be bears!)

Thanks for the pictures!

Both actually. Out in the midwest you never know when you may come across a meth lab or whatever. Better to have it and not need it.... Typically I don't put it in the bag - too hard to get to. Most of the time its in a holster under my jacket.

There was a thread similar to this a long time ago that many people actually carry while hiking/caching.

No bears in eastern SD ;-)

Edit to add: here's the old thread

Edited by MorganCoke

OK...HERE IT IS. I always have my camera and cell. The camera is like STATIC TANKS...but in orange. It is an Olympus Stylus 790 SW.

geobag024.jpg

That is my Vizsla, LucyBell. She loves the woods...and birds...or any other critter. :rolleyes:

geobag035.jpg

geobag036.jpg

geobag029.jpg

geobag034.jpg

geobag033.jpg

geobag032.jpg

So, the contents, in no particular order... :blink:

Garmin Oregon 400t with case

12Alkaline batteries...always have juice!

Nice nice...

Leatherman Multitool..

Nice cheap head light

durable small light...metal

First Aid guide

First Aid Kit

2 emergencey blankets

2 ponchos

bag-o-swag to trade

any random TB's

Bug Juice...no deet B)

Bengals Lighter

gloves for winter/spring/fall..

Bengals Headband for winter/spring/fall..

extra Dublin General Store T-shirt..ya never know

Bengals baseball cap...always have a hat on hand..in the car..

Metal Water bottle...no plastic to lose and litter!

And not shown...a camelback water pack that slides in the pack..

and finally, my Osprey Stratos backpack. LOVE IT!

Oh, and not shown...clipped inside the pack is a key to my truck...in case I lose or lock the keys in the truck. :D Yes, I have done it...it was a long walk.

And a business card..in case I lose my bag. It is inside a pocket.

Thanks for looking...kinda fun to share!

WHO-DEY!

Edited by WHO-DEY

I think I need to upgrade my GeoPack! lol

So far, we have the following in ours:

Garmin GPS

Log Books

Scissors

A couple magnetic keyholders (just in case)

Tweezers

Pen

Pencil

First Aid Kit including medical gloves (never know what you're going to get into)

Extra Batteries

Swag Bag

Extra baggies of difference sizes

Trash Bags

Some kind of hard candy.

Genius TB (in the swag bag). It's been activated, just need to drop it.

The clipboard and folder don't fit in the backpack, but I always take them with me. I have in it, extra logs, paper, and of course, my printouts of caches.

And the backpack, which is my personal tb.

Not shown because I had to use it to take the photo is my Nikon camera and cell phone. I also always carry my keys (which has a flashlight on it) and my ID with me at all time.

Any ideas on what else I should add to it?

Cachepack.jpg

Edited by Team Cache Scene Investigators

***Snip***

But when I make a day of it (which doesn't happen very often anymore) I will grab my bag. It's a knock-off of the Maxpedition Fatboy. (like $16 on ebay)

***Snip***

Can you please tell me the name of the "knock-off" bag?

Thanks,

Muggs

I'm missing some things, and can't afford some other things at the moment. I just got back into caching after misplacing my GPSr for 2ish years.

Wow lost it for 2 years? You must of had a big smile when you finally found it again!

<_< at the "not included." But why not? The dog may be small enough to fit in the bag, no?

I'm missing some things, and can't afford some other things at the moment. I just got back into caching after misplacing my GPSr for 2ish years.

Wow lost it for 2 years? You must of had a big smile when you finally found it again!

<_< at the "not included." But why not? The dog may be small enough to fit in the bag, no?

I "Found" it on Ebay...had to repurchase it. I left it on top of the car to get reception while moving halfway across country, then drove off, only to notice 2 hours later it was no longer on top of the car or on the dashboard where I had kept it.

As to the dog, She's very not outdoorsy. She can't even jump up on the COUCH. Not to mention our other dog, the chihuahua, would *not* fit, and they're inseparable :laughing:

94120ebf-f58a-4d8e-a757-b75babafa716.jpg

I got this new cache bag for xmas - happy me! Most of this stuff was kicking around in various places in the car and I had to pick and choose what might be on my person when hitting the trail. Now it's all together. :D

Contents in third pic starting from bottom left and working up to top right -

Telescoping mirror with mag attached

Swedish fire steel w/ maya dust ignitor

Geocaching stickers

Spare bags (2 sizes) and post its

Maggie Magellan

Tin with various hard drive magnets

Cache container

Various rulers and measuring tape

Extraction tool

Super glues, gel tube and dropper

Hammer and Multitool

Hand sanitizer

Spare logs

Cache diaries

Streamlight Scorpion

Digital Camera

iPhone wet suit

Space Pen refill

Cache tin

Binoculars

Work gloves

not shown - Space Pen, sharpies, pocket knife, iPhone, first aid kit. Keyboard not included. :laughing:

I'm still working on mine, but until my snazzy new map bag arrives from the online store where I purchased it, I have this. Also, I have a list of items which I'm still shopping/scrounging for, and they'll be added in the near future.

But until then:

3370129157_0c84f6d027.jpg

My insuperior shoulder bag currently used for caching. It is not big enough to hold my snazzy binder (which I'm very proud of), which is one of it's big downfalls, and also, it's bright red. Nothing conspicuous about that... *sigh*

3370129215_5fd80b3823.jpg

Here is the inside of my binder, which I put together this week. In the pockets there are several kinds of extra logs for caches that have log issues, and the micro version of the what is geocaching thing to go in caches. Also, I have an extra blank logbook (bottom left), a paper version of a 1 ft ruler, cause why not, and my collection of small writing utensils. 2 tiny pencils and my less-than-4-inch-long space pen. The tabs are labeled: Not Found (yet), My Caches, Notes, Extras, and Found Caches. The My Caches section is currently empty. Notes contains blank paper for notes on caches so i can update my online journal when i get home, make note of anything to put in the online log, or if something needs repair or whatever so I can tell the CO. Extras is currently filled with pages I printed off the FAQs in Geocaching.com. Some of these pages explain the sport in detail, and some are the guidelines for finding and placing caches. The latter I figure it's good to have along if I plan to place caches. The former is for the muggle who ends up with my notebook if i happen to lose it. Which I'm not planning on, specifically, but if they're interested - hey! premade notebook to start with. :D

3370951754_1204b4b2f9.jpg

This is the back pocket of my awesome binder. The back pockets contain 2 copies of the Geocaching brochure found on Geocaching.com for interested muggles we may encounter. There are also full size copies of the explaination of geocaching sheet people put in caches in case muggles find them. Finally, I have some polaroids I've taken at or near cache sites, because I love polaroid and I think instant pictures are a great way to capture our game.

3370129417_80d23ba608.jpg

finally the contents of the ugly red bag:

* Polaroid camera

* Ready-to-go cache container, with swag, log, and please read notice. Needs pencil and plastic baggy for log.

* Basic 1st aid kit - we live and mainly cache in a large urban area.

* Card game for swag.

* Superglue for quick repairs.

* bookplates for swag

* pens and pencils for signing logs

* carved wooden pencil with explanation for swag

* 10 extra log books

* asst sharpies on a carabiner, with basic compass on strap.

* Bag of seashells - swag

* Bag with necklace - swag

* bag with shell pendant - swag

* bag with dice - swag

* bag with skull ring - swag

* bag with small knitted raven toy - swag

* Slab of pretty rock for swag (oops forgot to mention that originally)

For being an active cacher for only about 2 weeks or so, I think I'm doing ok :laughing:

Edited by amianda