My Geocaching Bag

wavector

I just grabbed my geocaching bag after a period where I hadn't been very active and I did an inventory. The contents are a snapshot of my geocaching activity. I emptied it right out and made a list. I think it would

be interesting to see inside your geocaching bag. So how about it, post a snapshot of your geocaching bag?

Ready to Go

8505a668-b9fb-49b4-aaa7-c4e05770f721.jpg

My Geocaching Bag

79d1b2c6-f403-4c19-b067-2682b1ecc960.jpg

The contents of my bag with some explanations:

My dog Ana.

Screen Protectors - A package of screen protectors, swag. I use these handy dandy Radio Shack specials on both my GPS and my digital camera.

Rope: This is a bundle I keep in my geocaching bag because rope is handy, I have found stray dogs several times while out caching.

A flashlight, swag and handy to have if I need it for something else.

A "Cat in the Hat Came Back" book and a "Cat in the Hat" Game CD. I am collecting these "Cat in the Hat" themed items for a cache I am planning, I like starting caches with themed goods.

The box for my Oregon 400T, my wife actually put it in the bag because I had it sitting out and she knows exactly why I bought it. :rolleyes:

Night-glo creatures, more themed swag for Esplanight.

A piece of bark, the raw materials for a "clue" rebuild, collected a while ago.

A Leathermen Fuse.

A Colorado pin.

Spare note books.

Other geocachers signature items, my favourite thing to find in a cache, I found item's from these geocachers in my bag; DMVC, The Ski Bum, OU8Alizzard, Dr Webe and a card from the GeoCache Junkies(Jezebel1967, Joxer and MaggieL).

A cache "Finders Card" for local cacher marmelkascar's cache "Drive You Nuts".

A 9-11 Commemorative dollar given to me by a fellow geocacher at the first Geocoinfest in Temecula where I had the extraordinary pleasure of meeting geocachers/geocoiners like Moun10Bike, Cornerstone4 and AtlantaGal just to name a few, I put a lot of pictures in my log for that cache. I met many other wonderful geocachers but unfortunately I haven't yet met avroair who managed to miss his flight, which is particularly ironic given that his geocaching handle makes me think he owns a private jet. :)

I found four Travel bugs.

A trackable "Unite for Diabetes" geocoin.

A trackable Celtic Cross geocoin making it's first journey, just released by a new geocacher.

An empty shell casing picked up while "Benchmarking" near Havre, Montana.

A musket ball found in the Cypress Hills on a geocaching adventure.

A Rendez-vous 2008 geocoin.

An Arctic Nomads personal geocoin.

A Def-con geocoin.

Notebooks.

Mini-bic pencils.

A compass.

A camera.

My Oregon 400T.

Normally I don't carry the items in the bottom right of the picture.

19 Alberta Wild Rose geocoins that belong to the AGWG, these beautifiul geocoins were manufactured by my friend Mike at The Geocoinstore, the same place you go to buy Signal Geocoins. The design was created by Alberta geocacher and artist, peanutbutterbreadandjam with help from a group of Alberta geocachers. These 19 Wild Rose coins are part of a series. Right beside those Wild Rose geocoins are nineteen of the metal "I am a traveller, Don't Keep Me" geotags that are made by Oakcoins and designed to be attached to travelling geocoins.

Here's my geocaching bag, pretty lame I know:

A free tote from my job

My GPS and carry case

My folder of cache info

Some SWAG for the kiddies

My one and only geo coin

I"m a newb!

12-30-08011.jpg

Okay I admit it when I first started Geocaching in 2005 I carried everything imaginable and more! I had a water bottle, first aid kit, pens, pencils, notepad, compass, street maps, whistle, flashlight, and a pocket knife and that was just in the first pocket of my backpack! I looked like I was going on a ten day hike while searching for a lamp post mirco. :rolleyes: Now I have streamlined things and I carry my GPS receiver, a pen, and that is all. :)

Geocaching-Bag_sm.jpg

My geocaching bag

Yup, that's it. It's an Enfamil sample bag that was given to me when I was pregnant in the hopes of getting me to buy formula. It's a little embarrassing...on the other hand, the bag is waterproof, sturdy, and has a zillion pockets.

Contents:

Geocaching-Bag-Contents_sm.jpg

I'm low on supplies

Not pictured: my Canon EOS digital camera and its bag, which has my personal TB ("Jackalgirl"), a pathtag, and a small Japanese wooden dog charm on it.

This is a list of the stuff I typically have in that bag:

- A Garmin 76Csx, which nominally belongs to my husband, but which lives in my bag

- Paper towels (for drying out the contents of damp caches

- Spare plastic bags (for small-scale CITO)

- Enough small polybags to worry any customs official or DEA person (these are useful for swag and for bagging up other people's swag that has been left in caches tending towards dampness)

- Swag, swag, and more swag. Most of it is stuff I've acquired out of Japanese vending machines, or bought at a 100 Yen store

- Pathtags and other sig items

- Nanocaches (I only have a few of these)

- Spare logbooks -- both store-bought notebooks and logbooks I've constructed

- Spare pens. I used to have a pencil sharpener and a pencil in there, but I think the bag ate them.

Sometimes I carry Misawa- or Japan-themed challenge coins, though I usually package those up as FTF prizes in my caches and don't have any on me at present.

I just grabbed my geocaching bag after a period where I hadn't been very active and I did an inventory.

No spare batteries?

The batteries are in the camera case front pocket!!

I didn't mention the batteries because for most geocachers it is a given but you have a keen eye to notice the lack. I use the Rayovac 15 Minute rechargeables and I carry 8 of them as spares. I can recharge all 8 in about an hour. I actually have a dozen of them and two are in the camera and two are in my Garmin Oregon 400T. So now you know. :D

I have decided to add another geocoin prize to this contest. This geocoin will be given to one of the accounts that has already posted a picture of their geocaching bag and made a list of the contents.

Your picture must already be posted to be eligible for this new geocoin prize. This is a trackable geocoin of special interest to Canadian geocachers but anyone can obtain one of these beautiful geocoins. If you have posted your picture then you could win this geocoin. I may choose to add additional geocoins at anytime.

All accounts who have posted pictures in this thread will be eligible for an Albertosaurus geocoin prize but only accounts already posted are eligible for this geocoin prize.

CanadaGeocoin.jpg

PC300021.jpg

Not organized well but we carry everything from spare ziplocks, logs, various micro containers.

Nametags for events

Gloves

poncho's

orange vests

bandanna's (more in bag)

small swag, 2 bags (we carry a 5 gal bucket of McToy's)

measuring tape, brush etc for benchmarking.

small multitools

a half dozen or so flashlights

biners, cordage

compass

calculator

alcohol, bug wipes

benadryl

first aid kit

pencils, pens, lead for pencils

dog bowl

pedometer

and more stuff, I should organize better :D

PC300023.jpg

Our reaching tools, fishing line, magnets, mirrors, grabbers and gotta love the hemostats. We carry both a pen and a mech pencil attached to the lanyards of our gps and of course the cell phones and palms and camera. We also have an outgoing and incoming bug/coin bags..... and a cord bag and laptop, binoculars, optical rangefinder, power invertor.

Ok I finally took some time to take a picture of my caching bag. Here it is:

07fa7d13-7d35-4724-ade6-8312b2e8cf59.jpg

The contents are:

my lowrance h20c

palm in the rhino case

multi tool

knife

compass

mirror

8 AA batteries

Some coins for trading.

pens

LED flashlight

Lots of swag--items like keychain flashlights and whistles, animal shaped erasers, DVDs, pencils, carbiners, MIGO patches and lanyards.

Congratulations to the Maine Family

You are the winner of a new unactivated 2007 Canada Geocoin.

Please send me a snail mail address using my profile on geocaching.com and I will send you this new 2007 Canada Geocoin.

Please remember everyone, if you post a picture of your geocaching bag in this thread then you have a chance to win an Albertosaurus geocoin. Every person who posts a picture of their geocaching bag and makes a list of the contents will be entered into the draw for the Albertosaurus Geocoin.

If you have already posted a picture then you are eligible for each geocoin draw and as the contest progresses I may add additional geocoins at any time. If you don't have a picture posted with a list of the contents then you cannot win. If you post a picture then you are eligible but if I announce a new geocoin is being added no entries made after that announcement can win that newly added geocoin so make sure you have your entires in or you might be kicking yourself.

Remember that all entries will have a chance to win a new unactivated Albertosaurus.

So far we have given away 1 Landsharkz Personal, 2 Albertosaurus Geocoins and 1 2007 Canada Geocoin.

If you see a geocoin posted on this thread then it will be given away in this contest.

If you really like geocoins then there is another thread in the Geocoin Discussion Forum called Win a Geocoin that you might like. Every geocoin seen on that thread will be given away in the Christmas Caching Puzzle contest and this thread is related to that Puzzle. If you are a new geocacher then read the messages I posted this morning for some very good hints to help you "crack" the Christmas Caching Puzzle and remember there are nineteen nice trackable items available to new geocachers who have accounts dated between September 1st, 2008 and December 26th, 2008 inclusive.

If you are a very experienced forum hand and a wily geocacher you might want to try "what contest?" which has a very nice First to Find prize.

Thanks for posting all the pictures everyone. It really helps to see some of the kits and there are some very good items being posted. New geocachers will really benefit from seeing some of the kits. If you are working on the Christmas Caching Puzzle then this thread really helps but you need to pay attention to details. It has worked out really well so far with the pages lining up quite nicely so that the best hint is really floating up nicely.

I am sure many of the forum regulars are getting a chuckle out of the Puzzle because I am sure they have figured out what nineteen items are being given away. :D Rather than gnash your teeth, you should try the "what contest?" contest, that is a lot tougher than the Christmas Caching Puzzle. I was certain that someone would have figured it out by now.

Good Luck Everyone

Edited by wavector

Pictures031-1.jpg

Here it is.....Pic is kinda small though tired of messing with the resizing thing

GPS (of course)

flash light

camara

gloves

note book

pen

clear plastic bag(has the TB's/coins that being moved, grabbed last week dropping on Friday) :D

xtra batteries

chap stick

trash bag/ziplock bag

lens cleaning cloths

lots of misc swag

Small caches just in case we find just the right spot

Something else will always get thrown in at the last minute

Stays in car: first aid kit(grab if we head off for a long hike)

About 90% of our caching is the full team of 2 adults and 2 kids. Our team "The jokers" carry two bags into the field.

One contains the much needed drinks and snacks a 6 and 4 year old always seem to need no matter how long the hike, along with the Bug spray,sting goes and some rubbish bags in case of cache maintenance or trash needs to come out.

I get to carry the heavier and cooler stuff.

• Camera (being used of course)
  • GPS
  • Heaps of swaps selected by the kids
  • trackables we are taking on a trip (a coin and TB in the pic)
  • Torch (It found us a cache today in broad daylight in a dark spot deep under rocks that we both had previously looked)
  • Battery's for the GPS of course
  • some spare log books
  • spare pens & pencils of all sizes to drop when needed.
  • Some PT's to drop in caches (not pictured)

Of course you can add any toys the kids want to bring and get bored of 5 minutes after we leave the car, extra water at times if the hike is long, a video camera if we are going some place that we might get some decent footage... the list goes on.

I think I need a sherpa

Geocachingbag01.jpg

Edited by AlliedOz

cachebageq9.jpg

Maxpedition Jumbo S-Type Versipack

A - Waterproof swag box

B - Garmin Venture HC (soon to be replaced with a Delorme PN-40)

C - Rear Carry / Conceal compartment

a) Cold Steel Spike

b ) (use your imagination)

D - Main compartment

a) Knife

b ) Gloves

c) 10 Foot Para Cord

d) Magnets

e) Spare flashlight

f) Duct tape / Velcro / baggys / superglue

g) Swag Box

h) Camera

i) Rain gear / bug spray / etc. (seasonal items go here)

E - Top Lid

a) Extra batteries

b ) LED Flashlight

c) Travel bugs / coins

d) Sharpie

e) Cell phone

F - Front Flap

a) Cell Sensor detector – senses SMALL magnetic forces :wub:

b ) Compass

c) Whistle

G- Under flap area (1st aid supplies)

a) Space blanket

b ) Snake bite kit

c) Hand sanitizer

d) Lighter / tweezers

e) Numerous gauze / tape / bandages / Q-tips / etc.

f) Poison ivy cream / Lip balm / pain meds

g) Trash Bag

h) Toliet paper (DAD.......I gotta go poop)

I) EXTRA CAR KEY

H – 32oz Nalgene bottle

I – Side compartment

a) Pens / pencils

b ) Note book

c) Flask (When Wife and Kids aren’t with me)

Edited by WatchDog2020

DSCN8604.jpg

Here is my Geo-bag. Contents usually include:

The GPS

A cell phone - for phone-a-friend help. :wub:

A pen

An extra log book

A small bag of swag items

Tissues or Handi-wipes

Extra batteries

Any TBs or Coins I might have that need to be moved along.

Printouts of the cache descriptions for the caches I'll be hunting

Some trail provisions - granola bars, crackers, apples, a beverage of some sort, though due to its weight, this usually stays in the car

Edited by surteb

I just grabbed my geocaching bag after a period where I hadn't been very active and I did an inventory. The contents are a snapshot of my geocaching activity. I emptied it right out and made a list. I think it would

be interesting to see inside your geocaching bag. So how about it, post a snapshot of your geocaching bag?

Ready to Go

My Geocaching Bag

My dog Ana...

Looks like you'll need a bigger bag to hold the puppy ;)

Morning. I am very very new to geocaching...in fact..we are going on our first search this morning.

a friend told me about it and it became my new years resolution to have a go.

I have found loads of postings for caches in my area so i have taken notes and we will give it a go.

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread, it will give me a good idea of what to include in my bag.

I am hoping to make some bits to pop in to caches, once i get the hang of it.

Is it usual to revisit places from time to time..or do people only go once?

Edited by sp01goat

Ready to Go

My Geocaching Bag

My dog Ana.

Screen Protectors - A package of screen protectors, swag. I use these handy dandy Radio Shack specials on both my GPS and my digital camera.

Rope: This is a bundle I keep in my geocaching bag because rope is handy, I have found stray dogs several times while out caching.

A flashlight, swag and handy to have if I need it for something else.

A "Cat in the Hat Came Back" book and a "Cat in the Hat" Game CD. I am collecting these "Cat in the Hat" themed items for a cache I am planning, I like starting caches with themed goods.

The box for my Oregon 400T, my wife actually put it in the bag because I had it sitting out and she knows exactly why I bought it. :ph34r:

Night-glo creatures, more themed swag for Esplanight.

A piece of bark, the raw materials for a "clue" rebuild, collected a while ago.

A Leathermen Fuse.

A Colorado pin.

Spare note books.

Other geocachers signature items, my favourite thing to find in a cache, I found item's from these geocachers in my bag; DMVC, The Ski Bum, OU8Alizzard, Dr Webe and a card from the GeoCache Junkies(Jezebel1967, Joxer and MaggieL).

A cache "Finders Card" for local cacher marmelkascar's cache "Drive You Nuts".

A 9-11 Commemorative dollar given to me by a fellow geocacher at the first Geocoinfest in Temecula where I had the extraordinary pleasure of meeting geocachers/geocoiners like Moun10Bike, Cornerstone4 and AtlantaGal just to name a few, I put a lot of pictures in my log for that cache. I met many other wonderful geocachers but unfortunately I haven't yet met avroair who managed to miss his flight, which is particularly ironic given that his geocaching handle makes me think he owns a private jet. :P

I found four Travel bugs.

A trackable "Unite for Diabetes" geocoin.

A trackable Celtic Cross geocoin making it's first journey, just released by a new geocacher.

An empty shell casing picked up while "Benchmarking" near Havre, Montana.

A musket ball found in the Cypress Hills on a geocaching adventure.

A Rendez-vous 2008 geocoin.

An Arctic Nomads personal geocoin.

A Def-con geocoin.

Notebooks.

Mini-bic pencils.

A compass.

A camera.

My Oregon 400T.

Normally I don't carry the items in the bottom right of the picture.

19 Alberta Wild Rose geocoins that belong to the AGWG, these beautifiul geocoins were manufactured by my friend Mike at The Geocoinstore, the same place you go to buy Signal Geocoins. The design was created by Alberta geocacher and artist, peanutbutterbreadandjam with help from a group of Alberta geocachers. These 19 Wild Rose coins are part of a series. Right beside those Wild Rose geocoins are nineteen of the metal "I am a traveller, Don't Keep Me" geotags that are made by Oakcoins and designed to be attached to travelling geocoins.

I want to thank everyone who is putting pictures of their geocaching bags in this thread. Every picture entered will be eligible for every prize added up the point where they added a picture of their geocaching bag. If you are not able to place a picture here I will accept a list of the contents and an explanation. I see Butterfly Fox is in between computers so I have entered that account into the drawing for a nice prize. If you like geocaching then by sharing a picture of your bag you can help new geocachers. If you like trackable items then post a picture so you could win a prize!

Thanks for playing everyone.

If you are a fan of trackable items and came here that way then I will tell you again, place your geocaching bags pictures here if you want any chance of taking that earth turtle home. Imagine if I was secretly talking to S or something like that and you weren't prepared by having a picture of your geocaching bag here. So be prepared and enter now. It will help everyone who is trying to figure out the Christmas Caching Puzzle over in the Getting Started forum.

If you have a picture posted here already and you are not eligible for the Christmas Caching Puzzle because you are an old hand then you might be interested in "what contest?". It is designed to challenge the old hands. It is an armchair caching adventure.

Ok, here it comes, as I already told in another thread in the geocoinforum, I do not really have a BAG for my stuff, I store it in my car:

ba160900-bb35-4af1-ada9-c7c67e8cfeed.jpg

But now I took a picture of the basics:

dd1df371-3683-4130-9413-9115ea9c9801.jpg

As u can see there are two maglites plus a GPS, a pocket knive as well as a UV-Flashlight with an integrated laserpointer.

The two coins I carry with me too, the upper one is my firste ever coin, the other one may be discoverd if u meet me out in the woods :ph34r:

Ok saw this thread and thougth this would be a good way to clean my bag a little by emptying it!

mybag.JPG

Here is my contents-

Biggest Pocket:

Mitten and Sock Heat Packs

Two Pairs of Socks

Water Proof Bag

Garden Glove

8 Granola Bars (not sure why i have so many?)

Big Ziploc of Swag

4 Flashlights for Swag

Two smaller bags for keeping swag

Band-aids

Huggies wipes

3TBs and 1 Geocoin

Smaller Pocket:

Invisible Ink pens and reader

Two small flashlights

Tim card I didnt know was there

Pen

13 Batteries (no idea if they are good or bad!)

Smallest Pocket:

A keychain

Orajel (hmm so thats where that went)

Two Geocaching zipper pull compasses

Smaller Flashlight

A FTF Orange Julius Card

A FTF Tim Card

Another Pen

Note

A Dried log from one of my caches that was replaced

Hanging Pocket:

$5 (oo thats exciting to find)

10 Pesos

On Bag:

Four geocaching patches

Three geocaching buttons

6 geocaching pins

A GPS Clip

A pen

The other half of my geocaching landyard

The TB tag of my car TB

Then I take my GPS (obviously, but it stays in my purse not caching bag) and HTC touch

Wow lots of stuff, I wont take my bag tho if its a micro, mom will bring the camera and pen and we just take the GPS's!

Pictures to come shortly!

Edited by mm_dancer

Ok saw this thread and thougth this would be a good way to clean my bag a little by emptying it!

mybag.JPG

Here is my contents-

Biggest Pocket:

Mitten and Sock Heat Packs

Two Pairs of Socks

Water Proof Bag

Garden Glove

8 Granola Bars (not sure why i have so many?)

Big Ziploc of Swag

4 Flashlights for Swag

Two smaller bags for keeping swag

Band-aids

Huggies wipes

3TBs and 1 Geocoin

Smaller Pocket:

Invisible Ink pens and reader

Two small flashlights

Tim card I didnt know was there

Pen

13 Batteries (no idea if they are good or bad!)

Smallest Pocket:

A keychain

Orajel (hmm so thats where that went)

Two Geocaching zipper pull compasses

Smaller Flashlight

A FTF Orange Julius Card

A FTF Tim Card

Another Pen

Note

A Dried log from one of my caches that was replaced

Hanging Pocket:

$5 (oo thats exciting to find)

10 Pesos

On Bag:

Four geocaching patches

Three geocaching buttons

6 geocaching pins

A GPS Clip

A pen

The other half of my geocaching landyard

The TB tag of my car TB

Then I take my GPS (obviously, but it stays in my purse not caching bag) and HTC touch

Wow lots of stuff, I wont take my bag tho if its a micro, mom will bring the camera and pen and we just take the GPS's!

Pictures to come shortly!

You are like so... a geocacher. :ph34r:

I am not even sure I believe that bit about dancing.

13 batteries indeed!:P

At times I may choose to suspend the rules and make arbitrary decisions not based upon merit or eligibility but simply upon my impressions Congratulations mm_dancer!!!.

Send me a snail mail address using my profile on geocaching.com and I will send you one new unactivated Albertosaurus geocoin. It is trackable on geocaching.com and it has a custom icon.

I want to thank you for playing and like everyone who has posted a picture you are eligible for any geocoin you see posted into this thread.

I am checking your entries folks and if you have not found a geocache your name is not being entered. I see some of you have just made the deadline!

If your post in this thread is made prior to your first geocache find then you do not have a valid entry so make sure that you have a geocaching bag before you post a picture of a bag, I can tell.

Edit to add: The new unactivated Albertosaurus is still there, that was an "in addition to prize offering".

Congratulations again to mm_dancer!

Edited by wavector

Here's my bag and stuff:

IMG_0059.jpg

It's an elephant patterned bag because I'm cool like that. :ph34r: And it's light on my back.

today's contents:

GPSr

Palm

little p&s camera

first aid kit (contains band aids, wipes, tampon, batteries, gauze, benadryl strips)

epi-pen

inhaler

chap stick

gloves

snack mix (cheerios, raisins, sesame seeds, chocolate chips)

granola bars & teddy grahams for the kids

pens

swag

cache repair kit (contains baggies, pens, paper towels, pencil sharpener, spare logs)

toilet paper (not for the usual reason but because I ran out of kleenex!)

I usually have a bottle of water, bug repellant wipes, and baby wipes in there too.

Here is my kit... I also usually bring a pen, for what it counts.

map60CSx.jpg

Jeez, you guys are nuts. The above is all you need, and all I almost always carry. Except for the leaves - they weigh me down.

Seriously, the gps, and the usual contents of my pockets (which contain my iphone, a pen, and a small multitool knife) are all ever take. If it's going to involve a really long hike, of course usual stuff like water will go along.

Wow thanks so much! I really thought that my bag was just like everyone else's! guess i have a lot more stuff than i realized, and if you can believe i do empty it now and again!

Thanks wavector for putting on this cointest, its fun to see others bags! pm sent with needed info, cant wait to see the coin!

Hmm, after seeing what other people carry about, I think I'd be too embarrassed to show anyone the contents of my bag. However, here's a picture of my backpack at a cache I found today (Lost in the Woods) along the North Canadian River (allegedly named after French Canadian trappers many years ago) in the Stinchcomb Wildlife Preserve in Bethany, OK. Oh yes, I was FTF, wahoo! :unsure:

15651d8b-0f63-417c-b533-13842ac74cf8.jpg

Thanks Wavevector - this was a great idea to help someone like me. As a definite noob, I was happy to see that I was naturally following suit with you seasoned veterans of geocaching. My kids thought I was nuts when I grabbed one of their leftover book bags and started throwing stuff in. We don't have enough stuff for swag yet, but you've got to start somewhere so here i go . . .

HPIM27081.jpg

Trusty Pittsburgh Pirates giveaway sling pack

Protective Eyewear (in case of bushwacking)

Work gloves (in case of poison ivy)

Extra hat and gloves (cause my kids will forget theirs)

GPS

Reading light to double as flashlight

printouts of locations

logo picked up at recent cache for 4th grade project (to be dropped at next location)

Handcream

Allergy spray

Extra batteries

Plastic bags

Pen

Paper

Small stash of swag for trading includes:

black and orange beads

pittsburgh pirate keychain

smiley face stress ball

earth stress ball

Mickey Mouse golf ball marker

2 sizes of playdoh

bell

hermit crab shell

Of course, camera not in pic

No travelbugs or geocoins yet I imagine those will come.

PS - can you tell we're from Pittsburgh?

I've been peeking at this thread for about a week or so now and seem to enjoy it, I havent had alot of time or charged batts in the cam when I do have time, hummm.. so I got up early this morning threw the batts on the charger and here ya all go...

We're pretty basic, and I would say our specialty for our bag is cache maint. and our swag-- we love leaving that swag that makes your kids go crazy-(mine too)-we leave every thing from unopened toys, to money to brand new video games and dvds,So our bag holds mostly swag items.

our bag is a lunch carier or possibly a bag for a video camera, not much bigger then a small lunch box has 1 open outter pocket.

heres our pics.

f358c073-83d1-41b6-b2a4-122bf620d6b8.jpg

The geo-bag

6094a27e-9210-4d3c-aea5-4a27e4bee942.jpg

Inside the geo-bag

11e45aa3-3ce4-4196-8b40-76b3109eb2c6.jpg

swag box

contents: from left to right

1 perm. marker for re-writing on the worn labels of the lock in locks

2 pens for logging

1 sidekick slide phone that has internet so I can check logs if I cant find a cache or cords. or to make a call... also great for looking up info on an area's history or a landmark while your standing on it!!

1 pack extra non-recharge batts. also some recharge-ables in camera case.

1 CITO micro container with "2" bags inside (we allways have 1 on hand to leave some where)

2 watches 1 for boys and 1 for girls

1 bag of boondocks tokens,, (its a game and fun place)

Hand full of pencils (lots of caches need a pencil)

Bunch of pencil sharpeners - you ever got to that cache- left your pen in the car- theres a pencil in the cache but its broken off ...?

1 pair of earings for the ladies-( I really trade those for other earrings for my wife if she dosent like them I trade for the next ones)(she rarely gets to go with us)

Handfull of special stickers (pokomon)

1 Huskey tactical flashlight(very good and bright flashlight and was not cheep)

1 Magellan Triton gps (cant afford the expensave ones)

2 CITO bags we use to pick up trash(the lil one loves to pick up random items off the ground ,to and from the cache, most of its trash)

Also folded up in those bags is a few peices of printer paper for temp logs when we find a ruined log,,, to help untill the cache owner is back out to fix it. Also to note the caches we found when were going for a multi find day.(so we dont forget what we found, in what order, and what we took/left) over 5 found caches a day and we write them down so we dont forget!!

1 wind up flash light ,,,just incase!!! you dont wanna get stuck in the wood at night with no light!!!

*1 bag of extra chain & key loops- to fix broken tb's on the road we find some that the chain is rusted,, so we swich the chain out for the kids sake!!(I wish more cachers would do this)

1 bag full of non trackable tokens -we use these in the caches we really like, a good hide or just a well stocked ammo can, for the kids. my lil one loves to find and play all the stuff in each hide. so we reward caches with non trackable gold compass tokens, and lotto scratch tickets but im out of those for right now.

2 micro logs or temp logs in a bag

1 roll of tape to hep fix some logs or tide a cache over till the owner can come fix it or to tape a note to something or seal a hole in a ziplock baggie containing a tb or coin.

2 lighters ( I took these from a cache, did not think the kids should be able to get them.)(and kept them in the bag ever scence)

Coupple of Denver minted Colorado quarters :unsure:

camera and bag with extra mem card and batts.

1 mini cache bag that holds swag for the lil one to carry

and our box of swag- has lots of stuff in there, un opened toys, trinkets, goodies,temp tatoos, candy< for us> and thats about it,,

oh and another tip for a newbie, if ya got a lil one get a wagon,,mine loves it and its easy to hold lots of stuff and to take on the sometimes ruff ground. I DO NOT go caching with out it!

5cd3ec58-c20d-4357-b45a-3938c53bcbbe.jpg

Thanks Wavevector - this was a great idea to help someone like me. As a definite noob, I was happy to see that I was naturally following suit with you seasoned veterans of geocaching. My kids thought I was nuts when I grabbed one of their leftover book bags and started throwing stuff in. We don't have enough stuff for swag yet, but you've got to start somewhere so here i go . . .

HPIM27081.jpg

Trusty Pittsburgh Pirates giveaway sling pack

Protective Eyewear (in case of bushwacking)

Work gloves (in case of poison ivy)

Extra hat and gloves (cause my kids will forget theirs)

GPS

Reading light to double as flashlight

printouts of locations

logo picked up at recent cache for 4th grade project (to be dropped at next location)

Handcream

Allergy spray

Extra batteries

Plastic bags

Pen

Paper

Small stash of swag for trading includes:

black and orange beads

pittsburgh pirate keychain

smiley face stress ball

earth stress ball

Mickey Mouse golf ball marker

2 sizes of playdoh

bell

hermit crab shell

Of course, camera not in pic

No travelbugs or geocoins yet I imagine those will come.

PS - can you tell we're from Pittsburgh?

go to your local party supply store(we have party america) and ask for a toys pinatta filler pack they are super cheap and youll have swag forever!!! or brouse the iles there you will find cheap swag !!

I carry a Buxton Kangaroo Bag, the kind with too many packets and then I fill it with .......

Old Yellow GPS , Cell Phone, First Aide Bag, Hand Sanitizer, Extra Gloves , Camera, Flashlight,

Many Pens, Paper, Micro Containers, Swag, Sig. Items. etra baggies , citos and my Swiss Army Knife and a lighter.

I'm always coming across stuff to add to it..

Opalsns

gcbagout.jpg

gcbagin.jpg

Edited by opalsns

Geostuff009.jpg

GPSr

Cell phone always with me as I often cache alone

Palm for paperless caching

Compass

Various swag

Batteries

Geocoin

Geopins

Baggies

Pens

Flashlight

Gloves for those wet nasty icky places

bandaids

Match container for placing a cache

Combination compass whistle

First aid kit that clips to my bag (in the car and to cold to go get it for this pic)

Also in the warmer weather I always carry tick and mosquito repellent

Hope this picture worked. Its my first time trying to post one.

Edited by FScout
Jeez, you guys are nuts. The above is all you need, and all I almost always carry. Except for the leaves - they weigh me down.

Seriously, the gps, and the usual contents of my pockets (which contain my iphone, a pen, and a small multitool knife) are all ever take. If it's going to involve a really long hike, of course usual stuff like water will go along.

IMG_6056.jpgIMG_6059.jpg

As I just went on my first cache this morning, I actually have a picture to post! I carry my crusty old pack from high school with:

Oregon 300 - not sure how good this unit is, but it's fun to play with!

3 extra sets of batteries - sort of overkill, but the Oregon seems to be an energy hog :D

A bit of swag - caching seems to be a good way of getting rid of that stuff lying around the house that I'd feel guilty about throwing away.

Some ziplocks - I don't know, everyone else seems to carry them. :D

Pen, pencil, waterproof marker, and a sharpie that seems to be able to write on wet paper without smearing.

That's all for caching I think. I'm with sduck on this one! When I go hiking I've never brought flashlights, first aid kits, whistles, or anything like that. I don't live out on the frontier (unfortunately). If anything, I think I'd bring my camera outfit along with the obvious like water and snacks.

Thanks for posting your pictures. Before I got my GPS I was watching this thread to see what kinds of things you guys carry so I'd be in the know! You all really helped a lot! :D

When I go hiking I've never brought flashlights, first aid kits, whistles, or anything like that.

Flashlights are not alwasy for survival purposes, cachers generally bring them to look in hide-y holes that you dont want to stick you hand in!! :)

Edited by mm_dancer

Flashlights are not alwasy for survival purposes, cachers generally bring them to look in hide-y holes that you dont want to stick you hand in!! :)

AH! Good idea, thanks for the tip. I can now imagine pulling my hand out of a dark hole and being covered in spiders and cobwebs. :) I'll have to see if I can find one small enough to carry around all the time.

Edited by tooiake

3175059523_6db5636a9d_b.jpg

Contents:

30litre Backpack /w 3litre water Platypus & tube

Leather gloves in pack

Geocaching brochures

Signature wooden coins

Trackables and swag, spare ziploc bags

Camera & case

Collapsible micro keyboard

Headlamp

Flashlight /w extra CR123 batteries

Spare AA batteries (not shown)

550 paracord

First aid kit and medical log book

Spyderco Salt-1 pocketknife

Leatherman Wave

Assorted writing utensils

Power adapters

Cell phone

Palm PDA /w cachemate

Garmin 60CSx GPSr

Metric converter calculator

Compass /w sighting mirror

Whistle /w lanyard

Lighter

Leatherman Squirt, Photon 3 microlight, ferrocium rod

Glasses /w cleaning cloth

Pocket magnifier (for those really tiny tracking codes on coins!)

Sanitizer

Micro survival kit

In vehicle:

Spare caches ready to go

Other power adapter and power inverter

Paper maps

Hiking staff /w extra emergency kit

Major first aid kit

Large survival kit

Bottled water, extra food

Blankets

Vehicle repair kit, various tools

More duct tape

Hardhat, hi-vis vest

Extra clothing as per the season

Edited by Roarmeister

Here's a few shots of the 2 bags I use and the contents that get rotated into/out of them.

This one is the bag that swag we trade for goes into until we get home. This bag was actually a swag item that we traded for. Mom thought I was nuts when I took it but it hangs perfectly on the back of the seat in my car so I can drop stuff into it.

DSCN0232.JPG

This is the bag we carry with us to the caches. It contains log books, pens, pencils, and whatever trade stock we stuff into it for that particular cache. Oh, and several bottles of water!

DSCN0233.JPG

This is the stockpile of ready to hide caches, trade stuff, pens, pencils, various repair items, water, and of course our hunters orange vests. This pile is where we load up the previous bag before leaving the car to find a cache.

DSCN0234.JPG

Here is the stockpile and backpack spread out a bit. The crutch is there from when I tried to break my foot and was unable to get around without it. The doc told me to stay off my foot as much as possible, I figured driving the car to caches qualified as staying off it as much as possible. :yikes:

DSCN0235.JPG

Wow, mine looks puny compared to some here. Is there such a thing as Geobag envy? :( My camera isn't in the photo and I don't have any swag right now, so I guess that hurts a little.

Geobag envy? :yikes: Maybe you don't have swag, but it looks like you have two coins. I don't have any coins yet. I suffer from geocoin envy. :(

IMG_6099.jpg

New additions to the bag! A nifty Silva Ranger compass which I'm only starting to learn how to use. It's got a quadrant scale (I've never heard of that before :ph34r: ). I also just made a cache log to carry around to record any observations ("Searched for cache in field, hawk dropped out of sky and took off with my hat!" Yeah right, I wish!), complete with lime green duct tape so I won't lose it. Still no flashlight though...

Congratulations to Fredhead.

Fredhead won a beautiful Albertosaurus geocoin for posting a picture of his geocaching bag to this thread. This was an "in addition to" prize so there is still another Albertosaurus geocoin being given away to another lucky winner.

If you see a geocoin appear in this thread and you have not posted a picture of your geocaching bag then you will not be eligible for that geocoin. All pictures posted will be eligible for any geocoin prize which does appear here.

If you have seen a Silver 2007 Earth Turtle posted in another thread then please be aware that you must have your picture posted here to be eligible for that prize, it isn't how you win the Earth Turtle but by not posting your picture here you assure you won't win it.

So congratulations to Fredhead on winning a new unactivated Albertosaurus geocoin.

Post a picture of your geocaching bag and list the contents to be eligible for prizes in the My Geocaching Bag thread.

This thread has been helpful to me - and reminded me of a few things I needed to add to our bag.

So, here's a picture of our bag:

geobag.jpg

1 - Backpack (with lots of interior pockets) for full days or longer hikes

2 - Smaller bag for short walks

3 - Ziploc bags full of swag (Mini flashlights, geocaching patches and pins, new toys, etc)

4 - Mini first aid kit and (behind it) a ziploc bag with larger bandages and gauze pads

5 - Cache repair kit (spare logs, pens and ziploc bags)

6 - Deodorant for me (added after seeing it in another bag posted here)

7 - Heavy duty gloves (purchased and added after seeing gloves in another bag posted here)

8 - His'n'hers emergency ponchos

9 - His'n'hers mini Maglites

10 - GPSr

12 - Spare battery case (currently containing 7 AA batteries and one battery tester)

Not pictured: digital camera and iPhone loaded with iGeocacher (just started using this over the weekend).

Also not pictured: water bottles (which we always carry) and assorted snacks which we take on longer days or hikes

Oh, and as of Saturday we've found 50 geocaches (we are s l o w geocachers) :ninja: - so both bags have really been used as GeoBags. :grin:

Thanks for this thread!

Wow, mine looks puny compared to some here. Is there such a thing as Geobag envy? :laughing: My camera isn't in the photo and I don't have any swag right now, so I guess that hurts a little.

bf926b31-4f5c-4ce2-ad4e-25fcfb420fca.jpg

I forgot to list the contents, I guess that's why I haven't won, lol:

1 Legend HCx GPS

1 Palm Z22

2 Geocoins (1 mine and 1 I need to drop off soon)

Extra batteries and cable for equipment.

Mini mag flashlight and pen are always kept in the F150.

How in the world do you edit your own posts? I was going to edit my original, but everything simple is escaping me right now, must be from the anaesthesia!

Edit: Hmmm...edit button was at the bottom of this post, but not my older one. Does the ability to edit disappear after a certain amount of time? :laughing:

Edited by Len & Cheri

2728754250028999818S425x425Q85.jpg

Here is what our usual caching hip bag looks like. I mean, for relatively short trips, not full day expedition. It contains mainly :

a bag of swag

our GPSr

a couple of things to eat

a pen and a pencil (the pen also serves as mini-flashlight)

a small notebook

some wet wipes

the travel bugs and geocoins to help along

a sheet of sig stickers

two sets of spare batteries

the ongoing caching sheets (not on the photo, wait for the week-end!)

the camera bag (with camera when not in use...)

It can also hold a small bottle of water.

When out for long caching trips, we also take another backpack (may vary) which will hold :

a first aid kit

water (hot or cold, depending on season)

a proper picnic

That's it, and very handy!

We are brand new to geocaching (only five finds so far :D) but we have a lot of field experience. Our geocaching bag is basically just our field bag (a fanny pack) with some swag added. I like to carry some nicer stuff for both adults and children. I make copper and gemstone jewelry and have left one ring behind so far. Then I like to take some better toys for the kids. I don't have picture of our bag but here is our inventory:

GPS

PDA/phone/camera

AA batteries

Monofilament

Treble hook

small hooks

Lead sinker

Paracord

Baggies

Index cards

Stub pencils

Pencil sharpener

Sharpie- 2 point

Compass

flashlight

Duct tape (small roll)

Toilet Paper (flattened)

Neosporin

Bandaids

super glue

suction kit

Hand sanitizer

Knife with tweezers, scissors

Waterproof matches

Granola bar/trail mix

Individually wrapped mints

Whistle

Plastic "tarp"

Filters/iodine tabs

Tin Cup and bottle

Insect repellent

Small screwdriver for pry bar

Trash bag (CITO)

Spare key

Leatherman

Dry socks

So far in our geocaching experience we haven't actually needed anything other than the gps. Our vehicle is better stocked of course and we use that as our base of operations lol.