Extreme Events = Extreme Fun!

Simply Paul

I've just put two extreme events forward for consideration- I'll add links here if/when they're approved- no commercial aspects, links to businesses or camping requirements... So fingers crossed anyway ;)

Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event (Ben Nevis-Highlands) - Tuesday June 16th 2009, 2pm

and

Britain's Third Most Remote Event Cache (Unst-Shetland) - Saturday June 20th 2009, 3pm

More info here as and when. It'd be great if you could make either or both :D

They've been approved! Thanks Alba15 :(

GC1EQ1C Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event (Ben Nevis)

GC19G7E Britain's Third Most Remote Event Cache (Unst)

There was an older thread about these: Another extreme event! Shetland, June 2009, Dare you visit the UK's most northerly point? (Go on, you know you want to) but please only add to this one. If the old one could be locked, that'd be good.

Sounds excellent! But much too early to say if I'd be able to make it, a lot depends on how well my old Mum gets on if and when she goes back to her own home.

If I did go, I'd go to both. I'd ride up on my scooter from Surrey and probably camp out - have to get camping gear though, haven't camped for more than 30 years.

Rgds, Andy

They've been approved! Thanks Alba15 :D

GC1EQ1C Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event (Ben Nevis)

GC19G7E Britain's Third Most Remote Event Cache (Unst)

There was an older thread about these: Another extreme event! Shetland, June 2009, Dare you visit the UK's most northerly point? (Go on, you know you want to) but please only add to this one. If the old one could be locked, that'd be good.

It's good that they were approved. It wouldn't be the same if the event was at the bottom of Ben Nevis to "wave off the climbers" to make sure it was "open to all". I hope to be in Scotland at about that time next year, but won't be able to do either event. It would drive Cathy bonkers if I suggested we did an event in Scotland.... I'm planning staying at a coincidental campsite quite near "Scotland's First" cache ("oooh look, Scotland's First cache is quite close..." :( ) so don't want to push my luck, lol.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I've discovered these events (16th & 20th of June) clash with my film studies course exams (17th & 19th of June), which is unfortunate, to say the least. I'm checking what I can do about this with my college, but I think I'll have to change the dates of the events to the following week - Possibly the 22nd (Ben Nevis) and 27th (Shetland). Please contact me if you've committed to firm plans/paid deposits, etc. and I'll see what I can do to accommodate you in any changes I'm forced to make. I'm very sorry to have to muck people about but it's this or take resits in January 2010 at a significant cost, or drop out of the course all together. :lol:

Edited by Simply Paul

BBC2 right now; Coast visits Shetland and the Orkneys for an hour. An insight into a remote area, soon to be visited for my Unst event... :)

Thanks for pointing that out. iPlayer is my friend!

I've found flights out to Shetland so could possibly make a Wednesday date for the event. Anything from there through to Saturday. Still about 2 weeks before I can book train tickets so will wait to see what you decide.

Thanks for link to the Coast episode - we saw the bit about Hoy last time around but not the rest.

So glad that the episode focused so much on Unst, which is our highlight of Shetland! Certainly gave us some ideas for further travels.

We're committed to 19-22 June to fit longest day so won't make the change of date of the event, but might leave you a little something to search for :)

New CONFIRMED dates:

Britain's Third Most Remote Event Cache (Unst-Shetland) - Thursday June 25th 2009, 3pm

and

Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event (Ben Nevis-Highlands) - Tuesday June 30th 2009, 2pm

As you can see, their order has switched. I'm sorry to anyone the new dates don't suit but this is the best I've been able to come up with, allowing for my exam dates, travelling, and fitting in with as many others' plans as possible. I hope you can (still) make it to either or both. Even better if the original dates we no good to you but the new ones are. :anibad:

Less than three months to go now, so here are my plans, in case they might tempt you along for some car share:

I'll be leaving Bucks on Friday June 19th or Saturday 20th, arriving in the NE of Scotland on Sunday for the ferry to Orkney. From there, caching across the islands, and up to Shetland on Tuesday/Wednesday. Unst for the event on the 25th, obviously, and leaving on Saturday or Sunday on the overnight crossing to Aberdeen. Then down to Ben Nevis for the climb on the 30th. Back down south over the next couple of days.

GC1PRQV Scafell Pike Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event at 3am (!) and GC1PRQ0 Snowdon Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event at 2pm, both on Wednesday July 1st have been added to what's developed into a pretty extreme trip for me! It'd be great if you could join me for one or more of these challenging events. I'm really looking forward to the end of June/start of July! :) Edited by Simply Paul

:D Right! All go for me!!!

Booked flights so will be arriving, by plane (in case you hadn't guessed :laughing: ) on Tuesday (23rd) at about 11:15am.

I'll be around the Shetlands until Sunday night (28th) when i'll hop on the ferry back to Aberdeen (from where i'll fly home at lunchtime).

Just to decide if its worth paying £27 for a cabin on the ferry!?

14 hrs - me thinks so!

(Log as previously posted on gc.com. Reposting here so 'possibles' realise that others will actually turn up!)

I'm certainly up for car sharing but it would only be the Shetland bit. Sadly I can't stay longer due to commitments at home which also rules me out of the 3 peak events B)

Right, all done!

Ferry booked for the sunday night and a bed to sleep in too (that an improvement to the bench I slept on in Penzance on the way to last years event!!)

If you are looking to book the ferry and want a shared cabin to save money: If the website doesn't show the shared cabin option then give them a call (0845 6000 449) as there seems to be a difference between their site and the actual availability. I phoned and got what I wanted straight away!!

paganfrog: If you fancy a trip to Aberdeen on the Monday morning (between 7am & about 10.30am), you are more than welcome to take a saunter through my coins and join me for a couple of caches. I know its not exactly round the corner, but the offer is there.

Hi I am new here and to geocaching just did our very first one here in Shetland yesterday. I live here in Shetland and we are tenatively going to say that 4 of us will be joining you all for the Unst event, providing work will give holiday time. :unsure:

But I wanted to say that if anyone needs any help with local information ie places to camp,eat,or bed and breakfest, other things of interest to see and do, or travel information please feel free to ask me and I will help in any way I can. I hope to meet alot of new people and I am already so excited about geocaching!

Hi I am new here and to geocaching just did our very first one here in Shetland yesterday. I live here in Shetland and we are tenatively going to say that 4 of us will be joining you all for the Unst event, providing work will give holiday time. :D

But I wanted to say that if anyone needs any help with local information ie places to camp,eat,or bed and breakfest, other things of interest to see and do, or travel information please feel free to ask me and I will help in any way I can. I hope to meet alot of new people and I am already so excited about geocaching!

Well done on your first ever geocache and welcome to the forum. :unsure:

I hope you'll enjoy the event.

MrsB

Hi I am new here and to geocaching just did our very first one here in Shetland yesterday. I live here in Shetland and we are tenatively going to say that 4 of us will be joining you all for the Unst event, providing work will give holiday time. :D

Well done on your first ever geocache and welcome to the forum. :unsure:

I hope you'll enjoy the event.

MrsB

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I am really looking forward to being part of the geocache community and seeing places that I havent seen before. Again thank you!

The natives are coming!! How exciting!! :unsure: It'll be great to see you up there!

I/we may just take you up on your offer of help and information. In fact, i'll open the discussion:

- What would be the 'must sees' of a trip to Shetland?

Welcome to the forums and again, well done on your first cache.

The natives are coming!! How exciting!! :unsure: It'll be great to see you up there!

I/we may just take you up on your offer of help and information. In fact, i'll open the discussion:

- What would be the 'must sees' of a trip to Shetland?

Welcome to the forums and again, well done on your first cache.

Yes the natives are coming hehe. Well in regards to your question there a many things to see so to start;

I would recommend Esheness lighthouse in Northmavine but not on a very windy day as the cliffs are high and the wind can literally blow you over them in seconds and this is a place you want to be able to get out of the car as their are some unique features that I will let you discover.Also on the way to the Eshaness lighthouse there is a campsite with a great cafe' which has amazing fresh local food and I highly recommend.

The museum in Lerwick is amazing, also a trip to Whalsay just for the views of the other islands, Jarlshof the Archaeology site, And any of the Brochs. The easiest one to visit and see is in Lerwick and well worth having a look inside.

It really depends what you like and are interested in. I could go on for days with suggestions. The Scalloway castle which you will need to get the keys from the local pub the Scalloway Hotel or the woolen mill to get acess. Getting the keys is fun in itself and how often do you get keys to a castle,lol. Also there is the Shetland Bus musuem in Scalloway fascinating WWII history.

Also Mavis Grind if you want to see otters and stand between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean. Their are tons of natural features and places to visit as well. Ask away and I will happily share more. Hope this gives everyone some ideas.

And thanks again for the welcome!! Looking forward to seeing some geocachers up this way!

How exciting - another geocacher in Shetland. We have seen some of the places you mention when we were there last May, but have taken a copy of your post to add to our research for our trip in June.

We are there for the longest day and are staying on Unst.

There are quite a few more caches in Shetland since we last visited, would be great if you could place some more!! :D:unsure:

I highly recommend Can you here me mother and VoxterView

Some highlights marked up for our trip are:

• St Ninians Isle
  • East & West Burra
  • Mousa
  • Muckle Flugga

Happy caching!

How exciting - another geocacher in Shetland. We have seen some of the places you mention when we were there last May, but have taken a copy of your post to add to our research for our trip in June.

We are there for the longest day and are staying on Unst.

There are quite a few more caches in Shetland since we last visited, would be great if you could place some more!! :D:unsure:

I highly recommend Can you here me mother and VoxterView

Some highlights marked up for our trip are:

• St Ninians Isle
  • East & West Burra
  • Mousa
  • Muckle Flugga

Happy caching!

Fantastic to here you enjoyed your last visit so much! And I must say Burra in particular West Burra is my favorite place here in Shetland but its where I call home hehe! And all the places you listed are fantastic to visit.

We are already planning on placing a bunch of caches all over at some of our favorite walking and serene viewing spots. So don't worry we will get a bunch of new and exciting ones out before all the caching vistors get here. Looking forward to meeting you all! :D

You just missed* an interesting piece on Ben Nevis on BBC1's Countryfile programme (in its new 7pm slot) - But in the UK we can access it via the BBC's iPlayer.

*Or if you didn't, you'll be glad to know I'll not be cutting any corners on the paths or leavinging anything behind on the mountain!

Welcome to 'caching Kristakerosene, hope we can meet up even if you can't make the Event amd thanks for the offer of help, will get in touch closer to the time. We came up to Shetland 3 years ago and did all the available caches at the time but there are lots more now, of course. Can we be a wee bit cheeky? :):laughing: If you are thinking of putting a cache or two out how about Yell and Fetlar, both are crying out for a cache and neither currently has one.....

All booked now except for accom. on way up, just can't wait! Will be on Orkney on the 15th, onto the night ferry on the 18th to Shetland mainland and up onto Unst for the 24th. Stopping at Saxavord so if anyone wants to join us for a beer on the Thursday evening after the Event that would be good (unless anyone has other plans). Dash back to get the ferry on 26th to Aberdeen :laughing:B)

Paganfrog, we hope to do a few caches in your area on the way up 13th 14th - will get in touch closer to the time.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

L&H.

It's a less-than-two-months-to-go-where-has-the-time-gone? Bump!

Just want to remind folks there are some unusual and challenging events coming up at the end of June and July 1st:

First up is GC19G7E Britain's Third Most Remote Event Cache (Unst) at the northern tip of the Shetland Isles, on June 25th. As the name suggests, this follows an expedition to St Kilda (way out west) in 2007 and St Agnes IOS (way down south) last year. A look at the logs will confirm what a special time people have on these, my more unusual cache event offerings.

A few days after 'Unstfest' there are three (count 'em!) events in 24 hours at the tops of:

GC1EQ1C Ben Nevis Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event, 2pm on June 30th, then

GC1PRQV Scafell Pike Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event at 3am on July 1st, and finally

GC1PRQ0 Snowdon Vertical Limit Extreme Geocache Event at 2pm on July 1st.

I'll be attending them all, if plans go to... plan. ;)

I'll also be visiting the dramatic west coast and NE Scotland, plus Orkney for a couple of days before moving on to Shetland. Car share is still an option for much of my trip, which could make the ultra remote Shetland event viable for someone put off by ferry and petrol costs. I've permission to leave a physical cache on Herma Ness too, so that part of the trip will be an opportunity to find the UK's most northerly cache.

Tell your non-forum using caching friends. It'll be a proper adventure!

2/7 of my ferry trips booked. That's £234.70 I won't be seeing again! However, they are the expensive ones from Orkney to Shetland and Shetland to Aberdeen. Two of the others are free, which is nice. Looking at Bambography's map with interest- I'm making up POIs for Memory Map and will have a hit-list too, with a lot of cross-over. Less than 5 weeks to go now. Still lots to organise!

In Three Peaks Challenge news, I've been training on an inclined treadmill and have built up to 849m climb (5.66km horizontally) in an hour, which is just 54m short of a Scafell Pike. I hope to have lost a few more kilos before the end of June and be able to do these three big climbs* without too much difficulty. Already I've seen a big difference in my resting heart rate...

*The climbs are:

Ben Nevis: 15m -> 1343m = 1,328m (4,356ft)

Scafell Pike: 75m -> 978m = 903m (2,962ft)

Snowdon: 359m -> 1085m = 726m (2,382ft)

Totals: 3406m (11,172ft/2.12miles)

Edited by Simply Paul

Martin Clunes visits the Isles of Scilly -location of my last Extreme event- on ITV1 tonight, at 9pm.

In other news, I've asked for details -and prices- for the boat trip around Muckle Flugga and Out Stack. I'll put any info on the cache page and add a note for Watchers when I get a reply.

After posting my gym info yesterday, I was motivated to see if I could actually manage a 903m climb in an hour. 6.03Km, 60 minutes and 904m vertically later, I proved that I could. :)

Paul, your gym antics wear me out...haven't been out much recently but need to do a bit of training for our Hope Challenge event in the Peak District in June ( week before we go to Unst ) and the training will include Brown Willy on Bodmin Moor on Tuesday.

Thanks to the Molinnas Crew and Birdman of Liskatraz amongst others for the caches!

By the way, we'll be setting off some bugs and coins in Shetland, please please keep an eye out for them and bring them back!

Cheers.

La Fifi

Edited by La Fifi

Regarding the 3 peaks events:

A friend completed the challenge this weekend in a time of 23:45 and found it VERY hard going! He is quite fit, runs regularly and has done it once before however says it is always much harder than you expect. His main advice is be prepared for what is coming and ensure you have a dedicated, non-participating driver. Tiredness is one of the main factors that come into play and if you try and drive yourself you are very likely to fall asleep. I'd hate anything to happen for the sake of 'doing it' due to lack of planning.

All that said, I really wish everyone the best as I would joining you all if it weren't for other commitments!

The version I'm doing is a diluted version, with just two assents and two descents within the 24 hours, not three of each. I still hope to be at the top of all three peaks within 24 hours, with the clock starting as I leave the top of Ben Nevis and stopping when I slap the trig point on Snowdon. We don't have a dedicated driver, but will be taking turns to drive and sleep- plus I've built enough room into the schedule for a stop and sleep (for a couple of hours) too. I'm not expecting it to be easy, which is why I'm climbing the equivalent of a Snowdon or Scafell Pike in an hour per day at the gym, and my brother and other team mate are attempting to climb Snowdon three times in two days this weekend.

Of course, all three events are available to attend individually and I hope lots of people will, to help gee me along!

Less than a month now...!

Muckle Flugga news; I received the following email about a possible boat trip yesterday:

Thank you for your e-mail

Thur 25th is one of our scheduled trips and we still have spaces available.

Price £35.00 per person.

Leaving Burrafirth Shorestation 11.00am returning 13.00pm.

Please confirm.

Edmund

-This is a 2.5Km walk from the event location, and would give 2 hours to get there if I leave the time at 3pm- sounds realistic to me. Feedback on the cache page please. Ta :unsure:

I've just found my first geocache this week and I also live in Shetland. Unfortunately I will probably be in Aberdeen with my niece at the hospital when this event takes place (or just be home and unable to get more time off work!). However, I look forward to finding the Hermaness cache in the summer. I hope you have great weather and if I can be of any help before I go away let me know.

I've just found my first geocache this week and I also live in Shetland. Unfortunately I will probably be in Aberdeen with my niece at the hospital when this event takes place (or just be home and unable to get more time off work!). However, I look forward to finding the Hermaness cache in the summer. I hope you have great weather and if I can be of any help before I go away let me know.

We're going to be around until Sunday 28th so if you fancy meeting up one evening for some caching and tourist stuff then let us know! It would depend where you live and where we are and when...

OH, and WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!!!

OH, and WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!!!

I live a short walk from the latest cache placed in the islands - great way to try out the new gps! You will be driving past my house in Voe to get to Unst (look for a blue fence!).

Not long til all these now!

Yesterday I contacted Edmund to try to secure 4 or 6 seats for the Muckle Flugga trip and -linking to my three peaks challenge events- climbed 501m in 30 minutes on an inclined treadmill at the gym; a new personal best for the half-hour. I've also lost 26.9Kg (59lbs, 4 1/4 stone) so far this year, achieving my 4th goal (20% weight loss) in 22 weeks; all good news for my big climbs this month (and July 1st) :laughing:

It seems we'll be setting at least three caches on the islands with local help, and I've information to leave in the physicals on top of Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis to send finders to bonus '3PC' caches... It's nice to leave something behind for those who follow us.