Highly exposed geocaches

Highpointer

It appears to me that many geocaches that I find are placed in highly exposed, public areas where any person with an ounce of common sense would conclude that such a cache won't last very long in such a location. Examples are cache containers include:

* A cache in or under a bush that will be removed by landscapers and become exposed when the bush is trimmed (damage to the bush also occurs as a result of geocachers sticking their hands in it and moving the branches around);

* A non-camouflaged container the size of a soda can attached to the visible side of a utility box;

* A standard-sized container partially covered with rocks next to the parking lot of a busy restaurant; and

* Many other caches that don't appear markedly different from the trash in the vicinity.

Therefore, why do so many geocachers, even experienced geocachers, continue to place so many low-quality, short-lived caches?

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Edited by Highpointer

It appears to me that many geocaches that I find are placed in highly exposed, public areas where any person with an ounce of common sense would conclude that such a cache won't last very long in such a location. Examples are cache containers include:

* A cache in or under a bush that will be removed by landscapers and become exposed when the bush is trimmed (damage to the bush also occurs as a result of geocachers sticking their hands in it and moving the branches around);

* A non-camouflaged container the size of a soda can attached to the visible side of a utility box;

* A standard-sized container partially covered with rocks next to the parking lot of a busy restaurant; and

* Many other caches that don't appear markedly different from the trash in the vicinity.

Therefore, why do so many geocachers, even experienced geocachers, continue to place so many low-quality, short-lived caches?

I have only very rarely encountered such bad hides in my time, despite the fact that I have hunted caches in many states across the USA and in at least four other countries. I suspect that what you have encountered is a regional practice, or more properly, a regional problem, somewhat akin to the bizarre phenomenon I have noticed in northern Colorado where a lot of caches are moldy flimsy leaky containers, wrapped inside wet and moldy plastic grocery bags, and stuck under a bush!

And, I should add, since you are located in Tempe/PHX Arizona, that of the half-dozen-plus caches that I have found in the Tempe/PHX AZ area, none were the type of bad hides that you have described.

I think that there's an interesting mystique attached to some of these "in plain sight" caches. I often wonder how many times I passed such caches unaware before I started caching. I believe that many of those in the muggle world don't notice them because they assume that the objects belong there.

Have you checked to see how long some of them have lasted in these "plain sight" hide locations?

There are a few but not many like that around here.

Interestingly is seems that the well camo'd container in the trees across the field from the park about 150 foot off the walking path with no buildings in sight is the one to go missing first. But somebody saw somebody going after it.

....and then the ones you mention. Who knows why - I suspect they somehow thought it looked better than the rest of us think it does.

It has always amazed me how some obviously placed cache can stick around for years, and some very well hidden, out of the way cache can disappear in a few days. I have one cache that I hid 3 years ago, that I expected to disappear right away. It didn't. The parks department trimmed the tree that was hiding it, placed the cache at the base of the tree with a piece of black cloth & a few twigs over it. It is right by parking lot & tennis courts.

I used to think there could only be two reasons for such a hide: ignorance or apathy. After talking to a few owners of such hides, I had to change my perception. There are cahers who thoroughly enjoy the whole "out in plain site" thing, due to the added challenges involved in scoring a find unnoticed by the hordes of passing muggles. I figure so long as they are enjoying themselves, they're doing something right. Not every cup of tea has to be mine. :(

I used to think there could only be two reasons for such a hide: ignorance or apathy. After talking to a few owners of such hides, I had to change my perception. There are cahers who thoroughly enjoy the whole "out in plain site" thing, due to the added challenges involved in scoring a find unnoticed by the hordes of passing muggles. I figure so long as they are enjoying themselves, they're doing something right. Not every cup of tea has to be mine. :)

I realize that the OP is probably not referring to this type but there is something to be said for a cache that is hidden in plain site. The trick is hiding it such that a muggle would not recognize it as anything unusual, but an observant geocacher could still find it.

There's a series of lunchtime caches in a big business park type area. All of them are micros. I decided to try something different and hid the largest lock and lock I could find right next to a busy bus stop. It was sitting right by the base of a bush and was easily visible and a short reach in to grab it.

I clearly wrote on the outside that it was a geocache game piece, please do not remove, and no one did. It lasted for 2 two years and people loved it. Most people that didn't read the cache info were surprised when they found it because they were expecting a micro.

I've had some deep woods caches disappear quicker than that, and they were in areas that only hikers/cachers would go. I think part of it's success was that it was in an area frequented by business people who, if they saw it, respected it and didn't trash it as would probably happen if it had been in an area where more of the general public visited frequently.

But, for the most part, this was the exception rather than the rule.

Gemma's Lunch Stop a tupperware container wedged under a lamppost cover, made it one month shy of 5 years. What blows me away is the parking lot is fairly busy, and the container was too big to fit underneath, so the cover was actually pushed upwards exposing the cache.

Sometimes caches lead a charmed life and it's hard to figure out why. I recall one that was an ammo box

hidden within 6 feet of a paved path in a popular park. It was in hole and covered with a few sticks, but plainly obvious to anybody who walked by. In fact when I found it it wasn't even covered, yet it lasted nearly 3 years before it was archived because the owner left the game. The ammo box was retreived by another geocacher. I was amazed that it wasn't stolen in all that time.

I've found a few caches that were there for a long time and I couldn't figure out how, and then you get one that is in the middle of nowhere and it goes missing. Go figure

...Why do geocachers place caches that they know will soon be muggled

Because the expereince they want you to have is one of stealth. They have faith that you as a finder can rise to the challenge, or that if you are not up to it, pass on trying to find the cache.

What they don't plan on are all the doofies who will seek the cache as steathily as a bull in a china shop and with the delicacy of a pig hunting for truffles.

What they don't plan on are all the doofies who will seek the cache as steathily as a bull in a china shop and with the delicacy of a pig hunting for truffles.

Count me as a doofie. I just walk up and grab the cache. No stealth. Act like you know what you are doing and people won't pay any attention to you. Skulk around like you're on a spy mission and people are more likely to watch what you are doing.

Count me as a doofie. I just walk up and grab the cache. No stealth. Act like you know what you are doing and people won't pay any attention to you. Skulk around like you're on a spy mission and people are more likely to watch what you are doing.

If I don't pass on the cache, I do exaclty the same.

I used to think there could only be two reasons for such a hide: ignorance or apathy. After talking to a few owners of such hides, I had to change my perception. There are cahers who thoroughly enjoy the whole "out in plain site" thing, due to the added challenges involved in scoring a find unnoticed by the hordes of passing muggles. I figure so long as they are enjoying themselves, they're doing something right. Not every cup of tea has to be mine. ;)

omgz! you said ignorance! :)

<_<

I agree. Totally true.

There is a cache a bit north of me that seems to be one placed with the intent on providing the "stealth experience". It's located about 15 feet from the windows of a downtown Starbucks. However, it wasn't one that you could walk up and grab. I found the container easily but it took several minutes to retrieve the container as I tried to work the magnetic container out of it's hiding place, only to discover that it wasn't the geocache, but was a letter box hidden in exactly the same manner as the cache (not more than 6" away). I spent an additional several minutes to retrieve the actual cache. Fortunately, I found the cache on New Years Day at around 9:00am. Not only was the Starbucks practically empty but there streets were pretty empty as well.

We're doofies too. <_<

We've had people watch us while acting like we belong, but it's more out of curiosity rather than "Uh-oh. What are these shady looking people doing?"

If they're curious, they come up and ask us about it. They'll either think it's cool and stick around till you (or they) find it or think you're crazy and go back to what they were doing.