Withdrawl!

Astro_D

Well, winter came early this year. There is two feet of snow (with plenty more expected) and that means no more benchmarking until it all melts in April or May. Needless to say, we are suffering withdrawl symptoms and wishing we could be someplace without snow.

Has anyone had any successful hunts in the snow? If so how'd ya do it?

I've found quite a few BM's in the snow. I snowshoe in with my pack and a metal detector. If I can find a good take off point to measure from I do that then I clean off the snow and use the metal detector until I get a signal and go from there. Some of my finds are mz 1532, mz1533, mz1534, my3009 and my6397. Some off them had up to 18 inches of snow on them.

Dave

I will usually be out there all year, including winter. Using the GPS, measuring tape, probe, and datasheet. I can often locate benchmarks in snow. My biggest nemesis is the ice. The ice can be so thick on a bridge abutment that you don't know if the mark is there or not. Return in the summer and you wonder how you missed it.

Has anyone had any successful hunts in the snow? If so how'd ya do it?

While searching for UW6278 this BLM cadastral survey mark was spotted one mile north of our target during the climb up the ridge. It was quite easy to spot up there above timberline, thanks to its tall pipe-mount.

dad477e8-40d4-46f4-8a06-68b8e41afade.jpg

Fortunately for me the wind atop this ridge had swept it pretty clean of snow. I had to ease the snowmobile along carefully, and exhort my riding partner to take care not to get frostbit in the subzero wind chill. Our final destination's disk was missing, but the drill hole was easy to find as the wires from the original station occupation 'triangulated' its location perfectly in the glacially-striated bedrock atop the ridge.

bc2ec71b-9d90-4593-ab76-88dadaf07ae9.jpg

I agree, AstroD. I have great admiration for those who must contend with snow and bitterly-cold temperatures. I went on my traditional Christmas-morning hunt, today. Clearing skies after an overnight rain. Temp in the upper 60's. Light breeze. I clicked off 15 PIDs in 3 hours and 20 minutes.

-Paul-

I can't even count how many times I had to dig thru several feet of snow to find a bench mark in 30 yrs of at the MiDOT. I spent one week back in 2001 digging out a bunch of HARN stations in da UP of Michigan for some projects that we were supposed to start ASAP. One point in particular was some 5 ft below the snow and with some of the references also buries. I ended up digging a hole about 10 ft in diameter. As luck would have it other jobs came up and this one was put on back burner and the marks were not occupied till August. I logged 2,000 miles on my suburban and stayed in 3 different motels for nothing. All the boss (PS) would say about that was "it all pays the same" which was his favorite saying.

Another we were looking for a BM that had never been recovered since 1948. The snow was about 3-5 ft deep and the only references were the state highway C/L and the C/L of a old woods road. So I put on snow shoes and trot out to the approximate location with a shovel. My helper drives an ice pick into the center of the old road and ties a tape around it, toss the smart end out to me and goes and holds another tape on the C/L of the highway. I mark the intersection of the tapes with pink spray paint and reach for the shovel, jam the handle done into the snow and hit something, dig down and its the BM. I would have never thought we would ever find this one given only 2 vague references.

Edited by Z15

Guess that makes me a wuss. :P So many benchmarks are underground. Can't probe or dig for them when the ground's frozen. I went out today for some local caches. Located near a benchmark I'd found four years ago, but never found the reference marks, or reported it to NGS. Sounds easy? After all, it was an easy find the last time! I got the coords for the RMs using Forward. About a quarter inch of snow over the frozen leaves and ground. Forward got me close enough to the RMs, which are on boulders. But it took me over a half hour to find the benchmark itself! The witness post disappeared in the last four years. But I did find it! :ph34r: Only one I've found since November. Oh, well. A few more months and it'll be spring again!

eba955cc-327f-4667-ba01-93770349ad54.jpg

Just enough snow to make thing annoying.

Mr Dolphin, sir and all the fine benchmarkers here,

Please take comfort in knowing that I have been in contact with the 2oldfarts concerning another contest. They have agreed to offer me their assistance & guidance in putting together and managing a benchmark contest when the weather permits.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a new contest can be offered at any time you fine folks feel ready to discuss options for a contest.

regards,

UNK1

Guess that makes me a wuss. :( So many benchmarks are underground. Can't probe or dig for them when the ground's frozen. I went out today for some local caches. Located near a benchmark I'd found four years ago, but never found the reference marks, or reported it to NGS. Sounds easy? After all, it was an easy find the last time! I got the coords for the RMs using Forward. About a quarter inch of snow over the frozen leaves and ground. Forward got me close enough to the RMs, which are on boulders. But it took me over a half hour to find the benchmark itself! The witness post disappeared in the last four years. But I did find it! :yikes: Only one I've found since November. Oh, well. A few more months and it'll be spring again!

eba955cc-327f-4667-ba01-93770349ad54.jpg

Just enough snow to make thing annoying.

You call that snow??? HA! That's a dusting! :(

Mr Dolphin, sir and all the fine benchmarkers here,

Please take comfort in knowing that I have been in contact with the 2oldfarts concerning another contest. They have agreed to offer me their assistance & guidance in putting together and managing a benchmark contest when the weather permits.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a new contest can be offered at any time you fine folks feel ready to discuss options for a contest.

regards,

UNK1

Something uncomplicated would be nice. Just get out there and find the marks. I look forward to this thread,

Springtime? *Monday: Sunny, with a high near 45.* Doesn't sound to bad, you say?

We went looking on Saturday and the wind was howling! It made that 40+ degree weather seem like Freezing. We finally declared a couple of PIDs as DNFs after the third or forth times of hunting. :D

It happens, but we took along a couple of noobs that are just getting started and did a little sight seeing along the way. So, we still had a good time. At least now they know that you do not always get lucky.

Oh, any ideas on when you would like UNK1 to start the 2009 Benchmark Contest or any other ideas/comments to pass along?

Shirley~

The snow and cold has put our benchmarking on hold also. We just had 10 inches of snow and the temperature is suppose to be 16 on Wednesday, 6 on Thursday, 9 on Friday. That's without the wind chill. Then a warm 28 on Saturday that will feel almost balmy. Sometimes the problem isn't shoveling to find the benchmarks but you need to be careful that you aren't going to pull off the side of the road and get stuck in the snow. If the road has been plowed then the snow has been dumped on the side of the road making it impossible to park on the side of the road.

By the time you finish shoveling to get your front door open, then shovel your way to the car and shovel your way out of the driveway you don't want to now have a hobby that requires shoveling. We will wait until our hobby doesn't require a snow shovel.

We will probably be up for a Benchmark contest.

Jo Ann

A new benchmarking contest would be nice and I second, or third or something, the suggestion for something simple. Maybe not include the water towers, etc. though and stick with "real" ones if that makes sense.

Looking forward to hearing about a contest but lets wait till after the snow melts to make it equal between us and the people who never get to see snow unless they want to .....

Well this is the second day we had windchills at -45 F (air temp about -5). It'll warm up tomorrow to about 15 degrees, but we are expecting another 4-5 inches of snow.

At this point any contest that begins before April is out for us. There is just waaaayyy to much snow to have it melted by March. Then when it does, it tends to collect in all those ditches where the BMs are...so we still can't fin them unless we have a big arse water pump to drain the ditch.

Time to move south....or get one of those big machines to remove the snow for easier recovery. :angry:.

Edited by AstroD-Team

At this point any contest that begins before April is out for us. There is just waaaayyy to much snow to have it melted by March. Then when it does, it tends to collect in all those ditches where the BMs are...so we still can't fin them unless we have a big arse water pump to drain the ditch.

Now is the time to practice using GSAK to sort available benchmarks. Try sorting for Unk or Unknown for the monument date. (for getting some bonus points)

Are you sure all the benchmarks needed for the contest will be beside the roads in the ditches?

If the start date is close to March 15th, how long would you like to see the contest run?

UNK1

Now is the time to practice using GSAK to sort available benchmarks. Try sorting for Unk or Unknown for the monument date. (for getting some bonus points)

Are you sure all the benchmarks needed for the contest will be beside the roads in the ditches?

If the start date is close to March 15th, how long would you like to see the contest run?

UNK1

Most of them seem to be along roads, but not all. But you start it March 15th - plain and simple, we'll work with it. No problems.

As for GSAK sorting......gah, I don't know anything about that program than the bare basics. Time to practice...

Oops. Don't know how to GSAK benchmarks. Oh, well.

But I might be up for another benchmark contest. Wait... Haven't I found most of the findable ones?!?

Maybe, they'll let you have a point for each one you confirm is still there. I

Edited by AstroD-Team

Almost no shoveling required to hunt out in the chinook zone of Montana. Spent a balmy 40 something, almost calm day from Bozeman Pass to Livingston. I'll get some photo's posted to my logs in the morning.

Found one more 1907 Precise Level Net pipe cap, eliminated a couple of NONPID hopefuls and got one to pursue in the spring. MEL

Uh, not one to get bashed on the forums (though i probably will now when i ask this question)

but what's the point?

What's the point to what? The contest? Logging benchmarks? Not logging them right away? Benchmarking in general?

Shirley~

Benchmarking in general

Well, went out and found five yesterday. Three on buildings, one a radio tower, one a church spire. All easily found in the snow. It was eleven below with windchill. A nice warm up from last weekend, but still to cold to stay out for too long.

It felt good to recover something......

Well, went out and found five yesterday. Three on buildings, one a radio tower, one a church spire. All easily found in the snow. It was eleven below with windchill. A nice warm up from last weekend, but still to cold to stay out for too long.

It felt good to recover something......

Perhaps you should have saved one of those that was on a building for the upcoming contest. (hint, hint)

Unk1

There are a bunch within an hour or two drive I'm going to try to find again or for the first time if'n someone decides to have a contest.

I may be able to dig something or other up for a small prize to contribute should a contest happen.....but, please, not till some of this snow melts and its a tad warmer.

Edited by wvhillbilly59

There are a bunch within an hour or two drive I'm going to try to find again or for the first time if'n someone decides to have a contest.

I may be able to dig something or other up for a small prize to contribute should a contest happen.....but, please, not till some of this snow melts and its a tad warmer.

Most of our snow has melted already in the lower elevations and it's just a tad cold, but nothing like up your way. ;)

From the online Farmer's Almanac for the "Heartland" which includes your area. (Includes predictions for all or portions of Illinois (Alton, Galesburg, Moline, Quincy, Rock Island), Iowa (Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Des Moines, Sioux City, Waterloo), Kansas (Kansas City, Olathe, Overland Park, Topeka, Wichita), Missouri (Columbia, Independence, Kansas City, Saint Louis, Springfield), Nebraska (Bellevue, Fremont, Grand Island, Lincoln, Omaha), South Dakota (Canton, Lennox, North Sioux City, Vermillion, Yankton), Wisconsin (Baraboo, Fitchburg, Madison, Middleton, Monroe).

Winter temperatures will be slightly below normal, on average, in the north and above normal in the south. Expect record cold in the first half of December, with other cold periods in early and mid-January and mid-February. Snowfall will be below normal in the north and above normal in the south, with the snowiest periods in early December, early January, early February, and early March.

April and May will be warmer and drier than normal, with the season's first hot spell in early to mid-May.

So, UNK1's thought for March 15 th start time doesn't sound so wrong, does it?

This 2009 Benchmark Contest should be interesting.

Shirley~

Perhaps you should have saved one of those that was on a building for the upcoming contest. (hint, hint)

Unk1

Well, I was 2 hours south of here (It's supposed to be warmer the farther south you go, but I'm thinking otherwise LOL) and it beat looking for temp caches at an event we attended....

Most of our snow has melted already in the lower elevations and it's just a tad cold, but nothing like up your way. ;)

From the online Farmer's Almanac for the "Heartland" which includes your area. (Includes predictions for all or portions of Illinois (Alton, Galesburg, Moline, Quincy, Rock Island), Iowa (Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Des Moines, Sioux City, Waterloo), Kansas (Kansas City, Olathe, Overland Park, Topeka, Wichita), Missouri (Columbia, Independence, Kansas City, Saint Louis, Springfield), Nebraska (Bellevue, Fremont, Grand Island, Lincoln, Omaha), South Dakota (Canton, Lennox, North Sioux City, Vermillion, Yankton), Wisconsin (Baraboo, Fitchburg, Madison, Middleton, Monroe).

Winter temperatures will be slightly below normal, on average, in the north and above normal in the south. Expect record cold in the first half of December, with other cold periods in early and mid-January and mid-February. Snowfall will be below normal in the north and above normal in the south, with the snowiest periods in early December, early January, early February, and early March.

April and May will be warmer and drier than normal, with the season's first hot spell in early to mid-May.

So, UNK1's thought for March 15 th start time doesn't sound so wrong, does it?

Shirley~

I guess it doesn't include mid to northern Wisconsin?? We have been colder than average and we surpassed our annual seasonal snowfall by then end of December.....

Shirley~

Be nice, Shirley! We have about an inch of snow on the gorund, with regular snow weather yet to come. Set out for three geocaches in NYC today, with the temp 14º. Found all three, but my fins are still freezing!

Be nice, Shirley.

But, today it was 57 degrees and down in Tucson, where our daughter lives, it was 75 degrees. Maybe you guys live in the wrong area? Or need to come out for a vacation?

I have to admit that other projects have kept me away from benchmark hunting for a long time, but my wife and I did vacation in Tucson last March for some relief from our NJ winter. It rained and was cold. :lol: But only for one day. The rest of the week was pure joy.

Our winter here has been so cold for so long this year that any day the temperature gets above freezing is noteworthy.

Above freezing? What's that? It's been over a month since our temp has hit 32 or higher. I think the closest we've come in that time is low to mid 20s.

Below freezing? What's that? It's been over 25 years since our temp has hit 32 or below. I think the closest we've come in that time is the high 30s.

:) That is exactly why we left Northern Indiana! We had it with shoveling snow and freezing our behinds off.

:laughing: That is exactly why we left Buffalo NY! I had it with shoveling snow and freezing my behinds off.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama