Is it worth upgrading from a Colorado 300 to a Delorme PN-40

BBH

That's because, IMHO,

Sat 10 imagery looks best at Zoom Levels 10 - 11,

USGS 3DTQs at 12 - 13, and

Color Aerials at 14-16.

And might I add that for Sat 10 and Color aerial, one can select "Hybrid Maps" such that Topo 7 contours and roads are overlayered on the imagery.

Outside of that, what is lacking is........... :)

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
To the extent Garmin maps are customizable, its via the backdoor, cgpsmapper, not Garmin. Even then its limited to transparent overlays, which only work for points and lines. A transparent polygon is nonsensical.

You can create both transparent and non-transparent maps in Garmin. You can also have a transparent polygon layer. I have created such a mapset that displays building footprints. In that case, the polygons are not transparent, but the spaces between them are.

It's true that the tools for creating Garmin maps come from third-party sources, but I have found them to be much more customizable and flexible than DeLorme's tools (speaking here of Topo 7).

To the extent Garmin maps are customizable, its via the backdoor, cgpsmapper, not Garmin. Even then its limited to transparent overlays, which only work for points and lines. A transparent polygon is nonsensical.

You can create both transparent and non-transparent maps in Garmin. You can also have a transparent polygon layer. I have created such a mapset that displays building footprints. In that case, the polygons are not transparent, but the spaces between them are.

It's true that the tools for creating Garmin maps come from third-party sources, but I have found them to be much more customizable and flexible than DeLorme's tools (speaking here of Topo 7).

And you can actually make sort-of transparent polygons for Garmin, too. If you use a transparent map, then use a custom TYP file, you can make polygons which are only partially filled (according the the pattern you design), so you can see what's underneath. I did this when I layered a customized version of Topo 3.0 on top of City Nav NT 2009 because the polygons for park areas were not identical and I wanted to see the polygons from Topo 3.0 without completely obscuring the City Nav roads underneath.