Is it worth upgrading from a Colorado 300 to a Delorme PN-40

BBH

I like everything i read about the PN-40 but have no experience with one. I have owned many Garmin Units, and have been happy with my Colorado. I've been considering an upgrade to the PN-40 but none locally to see first hand. I've also considered an Oregon 300. My Colorado has given me no problems, and almost always taken me to the cache.

I'm a longtime Garmin owner and own a Colorado 400t. I was a little disappointed with some of the issues with the Colorado, so it got me looking elsewhere and the PN-40 promised to be a real amazing unit. However, I was personally very disappointed in it when comparing it to my Garmin units. You can read my impressions in a couple of posts on my blog:

That said, I'm still very hopeful that DeLorme works out some of the (IMO) kinks and becomes a real player in the field, and that Garmin looks at what DeLorme is doing right and makes some adjustments. More competition is always a win for the consumer.

I'm going to also endorse M10B's review for longtime Garmin users to look at. This is not an upgrade but a complete switch over. You have to get used to the software and the way it works which is significantly different than what you're used to working with.

Jumping from a Magellan Meridian, I'm not personally disappointed in the Delorme. It is a significant improvement over the Magellan in so many ways it isn't even funny. The customer service is superb and is something Garmin should seriously look at as an area to improve upon. (There is no hope for Magellan at this stage.)

If you can get past M10B's review and still go after the PN-40, I think you won't be disappointed. Even though it lacks in some of the Garmin's feature set, it has made it up in other feature sets IMO. After doing all the reading, go to your local sports store and get a hands on feel for the unit.

Edited by TotemLake

I like everything i read about the PN-40 but have no experience with one. I have owned many Garmin Units, and have been happy with my Colorado. I've been considering an upgrade to the PN-40 but none locally to see first hand. I've also considered an Oregon 300. My Colorado has given me no problems, and almost always taken me to the cache.

I got a PN-20 when they first came out. I also had a 60CX at that time. I have since upgraded the PN-20 to the 40 but I still keep the 60Cx. The main reason I got a DeLORME was for the maps. There is nothing like a high res aerial to navigate in a vehicle or on foot. If my Garmin had been able to use USGS 7.5 quads for my part of the country, I probably would never had bought the PN.

I will try to compare and contrast them, but I'm not sure it will be in that detailed of a format. While there are some things that warrant direct comparison, in many ways it's an apples and oranges things.

I'm sure you know this already, but it seems germane to the topic...

The PN-40 has extensive capabilities that Garmin cannot match at this point (aerial photos, routeable tracks, etc.).

Garmin units are easier to get data and maps into and out of them.

There are many more things you can compare, but that seems to sum up the key differentiators.

There are many more things you can compare, but that seems to sum up the key differentiators.

No map support outside of the USA..... I'm always shocked at how so many people don't travel. I don't knopw a single person that does not visit a foreign country at least once a year.

To me the PN-40 would be a downgrade. I like big screens. The PN-40 definetely has some features that are better than the Colorado. You just need to look at the features of each and figure out what is best for you.

To me the PN-40 would be a downgrade. I like big screens. The PN-40 definetely has some features that are better than the Colorado. You just need to look at the features of each and figure out what is best for you.

Roger that and a big 10-4. And when the recommendation above is to look at the features of each, I suggest that such comparison be made side-by-side with one in each hand. A survey herein of those who have truly touched both reveals a preference for the PN-40, in spite of the smaller screen.

No map support outside of the USA..... I'm always shocked at how so many people don't travel. I don't knopw a single person that does not visit a foreign country at least once a year.

Now you do.

No, really? How provincial! ;)

We used to make periodic, down and back in one day, shopping trips to Tijuana several years ago. However, with the murder rate higher there than in Iraq, we're happy just to stay here in Tijuana North. :D

Leaving North America is expensive.

I live within 2 hours of the Canadian border and only get there once every 2 years at best.

Now you do.

No, really? How provincial! ;)

We used to make periodic, down and back in one day, shopping trips to Tijuana several years ago. However, with the murder rate higher there than in Iraq, we're happy just to stay here in Tijuana North. :D

Take that back and call me something dirty. :(

I have no need to go out of country every year. Did it when I was involved in the service and that was plenty for me. When I'm ready to visit to view the sights I will and not a moment sooner. Going through customs is a pain the butt and I'm one for minimizing pain. In the meantime, the country I'm in has plenty to see and do.

My advice . . .

Get both a Nuvi and a PN40 (with online map subscription). Large screen with good routing algorithms for driving. Small compact unit with superb maps, aerial photographs, excellent accuracy, and good included maps for hiking.

Total cost can be comparable or less than an Oregon.

I have a Nuvi 265WT and a PN40--seems like the best of all worlds to me.

djmoll

My advice . . .

Get both a Nuvi and a PN40 (with online map subscription). Large screen with good routing algorithms for driving. Small compact unit with superb maps, aerial photographs, excellent accuracy, and good included maps for hiking.

djmoll

I am looking at getting a new handheld. I also am about to order a nuvi 265WT. I now have a 200W and like the bluetooth on the 265. Is it worth it? Also I have had a vista, 60 csx and a colorado. Now I am thinking about the PN-40. I had nothing but trouble with the colrado. With that said, having a nuvi, would the oregon or the PN-40 be better?

My advice . . .

djmoll

I agree, I prefer not to use my PN-40 for driving. For that, I use a GPS/NAV whose primary design requirements support driving.

I really trust you judgement. What do you think, PN-40 or the Oregon?

Scary! (if directed at me)

See post #9 above.

What issues did you have with the Colorado?

Do you want a "grab n' go" device or are you willing to put up with the DeLorme software learning curve? Do you find it relatively easy to master software programs that are new to you?

Remember the 500? I like to mess with software but I learn as I go. Is it really difficult to use? I just had alot of different little things with the Colorado. I see they are really cheap now. How are they working with all of the upgrades?

I have used the Bluetooth with cellphone just once in the house to make sure it worked. It sounded fine there, but I have not used it in a car. There are reports that the audio quality to the other person is not that good. That could be because it is not able to reduce background driving noise adequately.

I got it primarily because of the lifetime traffic info. For people who don't want the traffic and Bluetooth capabilities, the 255W is probably a good choice.

djmoll

Edited by DJMOLL

Remember the 500? I like to mess with software but I learn as I go. Is it really difficult to use? I just had alot of different little things with the Colorado. I see they are really cheap now. How are they working with all of the upgrades?

There is definitely a learning curve with the DeLorme software. I find it more time-consuming than other programs.

My understanding is that a lot of the Colorado problems have been resolved, but you'd need to check the Colorado wiki or threads here to see if the specific issues you had remain.

I'm a definite Delorme devotee, so I won't pretend to match Rich's balance, but I entirely agree with his sense of the two different tones set by these GPS models. The PN-40 *can* be used pretty much out-of-the-box by using the pre-cut Topo7 detail map files that Delorme provides...it's a simple matter of copying the files for your area of interest to internal or SD memory of the PN-40.

But to get additional functioning--including the imagery that attracts many people to the PN-40 in the first place--it requires getting into the Topo7 software. I regard the venture as several successive layers of complexity to achieve particular results:

1. To get waypoints into the PN-40, one currently has to learn how to import a gpx file and exchange it to the PN-40. It's a pretty easy operation once you know your way to the tools you need to use in Topo7 (I have a brief tutorial here if you want to see what that looks like).

2. If one wants to cut (define and compile) a Topo7 detail map file that differs in some manner (size, details) it's a pretty easy matter to do so. If one is cutting a detail map with *only* T7 data in it, a large area (e.g., the entire state of Pennsylvania) can be cut in a single map package.

3. The art of Topo7 map creation (i.e., the process that seems to frustrate users the most) involves a process of downloading an [initially bewildering] array of data types that then need to be cut into detail map files for the PN-40. There are default settings provided as a starting place, but there are lots of decisions that can be made for customization to personal needs...and, as Moun10Biker pointed out in his review, size limitations that require the process to be repeated in order to work up to the desired coverage area.

Now for me, it's a satisfying challenge to coax the best performance out of the available tools. There's a depth and power in the Topo7 map editing and creation process that keeps me engaged in learning how to do it better and better. I feel like I'm always learning new things. That's a recipe for extreme frustration for someone who wants to minimize their computer time and just get out in the field and use their GPS. Neither user is more right than the other; it's just two different perspectives. There's something to said for both relative simplicity and relative complexity, but a cost to be paid for each as well. The questions Rich raised are good ones for a prospective buyer to consider.

I'll turn into a world traveler if you want to fund my expeditions! I prefer to travel the Carribean,St.Thomas,St.Martin/Marten,and all of those other tropical Saints. :(

With the Garmin you need to buy all of the software. With the PN-40 everything comes with it? Roads, topo and what else? In reality you can auto route right out of the box with nothing to buy?

Yes, the PN-40 comes with everything in the box; nothing else to buy. Then when you want to go beyond the bundled DeLorme 3D Topo maps, you can subscribe to the imagery download service. For an annual subscription fee of $29.95, you can download unlimited USGS 3DTQ, B&W Aerial, Color Aerial, Hi-Res City 133 Aerial and NOAA Harbor & Nautical Chart imagery.

With the Garmin you need to buy all of the software. With the PN-40 everything comes with it? Roads, topo and what else? In reality you can auto route right out of the box with nothing to buy?

Yes, the PN-40 comes with everything in the box; nothing else to buy. Then when you want to go beyond the bundled DeLorme 3D Topo maps, you can subscribe to the imagery download service. For an annual subscription fee of $29.95, you can download unlimited USGS 3DTQ, B&W Aerial, Color Aerial, Hi-Res City 133 Aerial and NOAA Harbor & Nautical Chart imagery.

Is it really that hard or just time consuming?

Does anyone know if you can generate a gpx file using GSAK for the Delorme PN-40? I also saw that Delorme says that you can have 1000 waypoints loaded into the gps, does this mean that if you create a gpx file that has more it wont work? Reason Im wondering is the area I live, I like to cache all over, so I have about 4000 waypoint loaded into my Garmin Nuvi 750 so that where ever I am, I have can have the option to geocache. Anyways if anyone knows anything about the limits that would be cool. I am hoping that its just 1000 waypoints that you actually save in the gps like when you mark a point of interest or something like that. Thanks!

Specifically? I'd like to answer, but a little more detail would help.

Does anyone know if you can generate a gpx file using GSAK for the Delorme PN-40? I also saw that Delorme says that you can have 1000 waypoints loaded into the gps, does this mean that if you create a gpx file that has more it wont work? Reason Im wondering is the area I live, I like to cache all over, so I have about 4000 waypoint loaded into my Garmin Nuvi 750 so that where ever I am, I have can have the option to geocache. Anyways if anyone knows anything about the limits that would be cool. I am hoping that its just 1000 waypoints that you actually save in the gps like when you mark a point of interest or something like that. Thanks!

AFAIK, the current limit is 1000. However, it is expected that it will be lifted with a new widget, Cache Register, that is to be introduced in the near future. There are some that use GSAK to feed their PN-40s, although I've never done so myself. One can load multiple caches from Pocket Queries processing them through the bundled DeLorme mapping application Topo USA 7.0.

Hard is in the eye of the beholder...but IMO once you are familiar enough with the process, it's a matter of repetition. People who want extensive coverage may feel it's too cumbersome to be practical. I was able to set up an area with USGS quads and color satellite imagery around my stomping grounds that covers about 2000 sq mi without much trouble, and I think I'll be pretty satisfied with that and the occasional special place to visit. There's plenty of help available in the Delorme Users forum (see my sig line).

Yes, a GSAK gpx file can be sent to the PN-40, but not directly. At this point, it has to be imported into the Topo7 software that comes with the PN-40. As CowboyPapa said, there may be some alternatives in the near future.

The PN-40 is limited to 1000 waypoints. A much-requested feature is support for multiple waypoint files. I think that's been a relatively low priority for Delorme developers so far, but they respond well to user requests so I am hopeful it will move up the list.

Waypoints can be copied to POI layers and downloaded to the PN-40. However, some restrictions in the geographical range that can be cut in a single layer has made this somewhat impractical for the use you describe. These POIs don't allow any comments, either.

Yes, a GSAK gpx file can be sent to the PN-40, but not directly. At this point, it has to be imported into the Topo7 software that comes with the PN-40. As CowboyPapa said, there may be some alternatives in the near future.

The PN-40 is limited to 1000 waypoints. A much-requested feature is support for multiple waypoint files. I think that's been a relatively low priority for Delorme developers so far, but they respond well to user requests so I am hopeful it will move up the list.

Waypoints can be copied to POI layers and downloaded to the PN-40. However, some restrictions in the geographical range that can be cut in a single layer has made this somewhat impractical for the use you describe. These POIs don't allow any comments, either.

I think as soon as they lift the 1000 waypoint limit I will pick one of these up. I love the idea of being able to load satellite raster images in. Right now I usually just print out a sat map with label and numbers and then copy/paste the cache names onto the printout and take it with me. Makes finding all the caches in an area alot easier without having to do a lot of back tracking. Plus its nice to see what side of the creek not to park on <_< The PN-40 looks like a really nice machine though. And its nice to see that they are developing geocaching features as well.

TerryLaskiwski

Since BBH, the OP, has never posted a thank you or follow-on question, one has to wonder if this thread hasn't taken on a life of its own?

Note: The OP is from the home of a famous GPS company.

I'm here, just reading all of the replies. I do sincerely appreciate all of the replies. Just so everyone knows, I have no affiliation with Garmin, I just happen to live down the street from them. This thread has taken on a life of it's own in my opinion, which is good. There is a lot of good information here. I have been happy with my Colorado, and based on the fact that there are no PN-40's to touch and feel here yet, only PN-20's, I may just stay with the Colorado, or upgrade to the Oregon. I also use a Garmin Nuvi 780 for vehicle use and t almost always gets me where I'm going . I travel throughout Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Iowa on a daily basis, and my Nuvi is an absolute necessity. I always have my Colorado, in case I get stranded, or want to search for a Cache I've loaded in the area.

Thanks for the replies.

Is it worth upgrading from a Colorado 300 to a Delorme PN-40

Unless you can use Delorme's two exclusive features, satellite images and raster USGS Topos, I believe going from a Colo to a PN-40 would be a significant downgrade.

I believe, Embra would know, that DeLorme's vector topos are single layer, unlike Garmin's vector topos which are multi-layer. Why do you care? As you zoom out, single layer maps increase in detail to the point of detail confusion. Whereas a good Garmin map has 4 layers of detail. The unit automatically switches to a less detailed layer as you zoom out. You can control this feature with the Map Detail control.

Unless you can use Delorme's two exclusive features, satellite images and raster USGS Topos, I believe going from a Colo to a PN-40 would be a significant downgrade.

Regarding the exclusive features or Color Aerial Photo imagery and Hi-Res City 133 imagery, I have found that once available, I use them almost exclusively.

Kinda' like A/C in a car, now that you have it, do you not use it when it's over 70 out?

In reference to the multi-level question, I'll answer that later if Embra doesn't stop by.

I believe, Embra would know, that DeLorme's vector topos are single layer, unlike Garmin's vector topos which are multi-layer.

Not to make a mistake in inferring the term "single layer", allow me to describe the DeLorme 3D TopoQuads that are bundled with the PN-20s and -40s:

1. They have most detail at the closest zoom in: residential streets, arterials, county and state highways and interstate highways, contours at 20' elevation intervals, all cities and towns.

2. At an intermediate level: arterials, county and state highways and interstate highways, contours at 100' elevation intervals, all major cities and larger towns.

3. At the farthest zoom level: Only major cities and interstate highways are shown.

I believe, Embra would know, that DeLorme's vector topos are single layer, unlike Garmin's vector topos which are multi-layer. Why do you care? As you zoom out, single layer maps increase in detail to the point of detail confusion. Whereas a good Garmin map has 4 layers of detail. The unit automatically switches to a less detailed layer as you zoom out. You can control this feature with the Map Detail control.

Umm, you're teaching me new vocabulary. But drawing from your description, CowboyPapa notes that there are varying levels of detail depending on zoom level...so I guess Delorme's vector topo data are multi-layer. Point in favor of Garmin maps here is that the Delorme TopoUSA does not allow for detail modification (save for manual inclusion/exclusion of certain data types and increasing or decreasing contour intervals).

The state-by-state Garmin topo maps are 1:24000, while Delorme's national coverage TopoUSA is 1:100,000, so that's a detail advantage, too. Delorme makes up some ground on that with the 1:24000 USGS raster quads, and I also favor TopoUSA for better editing capabilities than Mapsource.

Umm, you're teaching me new vocabulary. But drawing from your description, CowboyPapa notes that there are varying levels of detail depending on zoom level...so I guess Delorme's vector topo data are multi-layer. Point in favor of Garmin maps here is that the Delorme TopoUSA does not allow for detail modification (save for manual inclusion/exclusion of certain data types and increasing or decreasing contour intervals).
I agree, based on what I've seen posted by you and others, you can customize Delorme's vector maps from within a DeLorme product. To the extent Garmin maps are customizable, its via the backdoor, cgpsmapper, not Garmin. Even then its limited to transparent overlays, which only work for points and lines. A transparent polygon is nonsensical.

By adjusting detail, I mean you can control somewhat the zoom level where these multi-layers appear or not. If indeed the Delorme vector topos are multi-layer, then detail control is likely present in the PN-20/40, and I've misspoken?

I think it's tied in to the lack of detail adjustment by the user...it seems to me that Delorme hard-codes the detail inclusion for several of the zoom layers; alternating zoom levels are that single-layer repetition of the lower zoom (not sure if I should be saying lower or higher...I mean the next zoom level out).

This has actually been a focus of recent user requests to be able to include more detail. Delorme keeps it pretty clean for the urban areas, but rural areas could handle additional information such as road names.

The Garmin user map hacks have brought out a lot of creativity in people. I used to like that with the Magellan Mapsend programs, too. OTOH, conversing with the people who do the design and write the code relieves a lot of my need for outside-the-box modifications.

Edited by embra

Like Embra, I'm a happy PN-40 owner, and I won't pretend to be unbiased. I have also owned / still own various Garmin & Magellan units, so I'm not unfamiliar with them. I was very close to buying a 60CSx when I bought the PN-20. I'm glad I did, and even more so with the PN-40.

My use is off-road (built-in Nav system in my jeep for road routing).

Data layering: Multi-layer vectors (like Topo USA that come withthe PN-40) is one thing, but the REAL cool multi-layer, which I think only a Delorme PN-20 / 40 can do is to automatically, as you zoom in, you can transition from Topo USA (vector) at higher levels, to USGS 7.5 minute Topos (raster) at mid level zoom, to color aerial photos (USGS CDOQQ - raster) at lowest levels. THAT is data layering! We have a term for it in my business "siuational awarness". Can't be beat. It is not difficult to setup, just takes a little getting used to "cutting" the right zoom levels in Topo USA, and setting up the layering inthe PN-40. Once setup, it's seamless, and fast. Love it for caching, benchmark hunting, hiking, mountain biking.