When GPS units and pets don't get along

Kabuthunk

To make a long story short (and I didn't want to dredge up a year-and-a-half old topic where most of the image links no longer work in it), my cat has taken several swings at my Garmin 60Cx antenna since mid-2007. The first time was just a nibble... the second time several months later was a bit more thorough... and now just a few days ago, the cat decided that third time's the charm, and completely removed a chunk of the antenna covering.

The entirity of the pictures and backstory can be seen on my website over here.

So anyway, plastic/rubber removed from the antenna cover, I was left with a bit of a dilemma of the Garmin no longer being quite so waterproof. Apparently, my repair jobs have just been TOO easy for her to let it go unattacked ;)

Damage after attack 3. If you've ever wondered what the colour of the actual antenna is of a Garmin 60cx... there ya go:

gpsfix11.jpg

And my repair job. Somewhat hard to make out the actual detail because it's clear(ish), but I molded the glue into the shape the antenna used to be in that corner:

gpsfix12.jpg

I coulda used black plastic from a garbage bag under the glue instead of saran wrap (keep the glue from directly adhering to the inner antenna)... but I kinda wanted the translucent "window" to the antenna as a reminder to never leave it anywhere other than in the room the cats can't get into. It evidently wasn't safe behind a display case door that the cat somehow found a way to not only open, but get into, chew stuff, and then CLOSE the door after she left :)

Anyone else have (preferably with before and after pics) of geocaching stuff and animals not getting along?

EDIT: Oh, before anyone suggests... it's been suggested in the past that I call Garmin, and often they're good enough guys to replace units even in cases such as this. Unfortunately, said occurances don't occur in Canada. I tried calling the main Garmin line, and they said I needed to call the Canada office... who were jerks and suggested I just buy a new one :)

Edited by Kabuthunk

To make a long story short (and I didn't want to dredge up a year-and-a-half old topic where most of the image links no longer work in it), my cat has taken several swings at my Garmin 60Cx antenna since mid-2007. The first time was just a nibble... the second time several months later was a bit more thorough... and now just a few days ago, the cat decided that third time's the charm, and completely removed a chunk of the antenna covering.

The entirity of the pictures and backstory can be seen on my website over here.

So anyway, plastic/rubber removed from the antenna cover, I was left with a bit of a dilemma of the Garmin no longer being quite so waterproof. Apparently, my repair jobs have just been TOO easy for her to let it go unattacked ;)

Damage after attack 3. If you've ever wondered what the colour of the actual antenna is of a Garmin 60cx... there ya go:

gpsfix11.jpg

And my repair job. Somewhat hard to make out the actual detail because it's clear(ish), but I molded the glue into the shape the antenna used to be in that corner:

gpsfix12.jpg

I coulda used black plastic from a garbage bag under the glue instead of saran wrap (keep the glue from directly adhering to the inner antenna)... but I kinda wanted the translucent "window" to the antenna as a reminder to never leave it anywhere other than in the room the cats can't get into. It evidently wasn't safe behind a display case door that the cat somehow found a way to not only open, but get into, chew stuff, and then CLOSE the door after she left :)

Anyone else have (preferably with before and after pics) of geocaching stuff and animals not getting along?

EDIT: Oh, before anyone suggests... it's been suggested in the past that I call Garmin, and often they're good enough guys to replace units even in cases such as this. Unfortunately, said occurances don't occur in Canada. I tried calling the main Garmin line, and they said I needed to call the Canada office... who were jerks and suggested I just buy a new one :)

I checked with all of our Colonial Cats (there are six of them) and they agree that your cat is trying to persuade you to use Lowrance GPSrs. I think you should listen.

I concur with the poster above me. I'm a Lowrance user with cats and they have never messed with my H20c. The damage in your picture is obviously not the result of a single nibble. If the critter was chewing on the device you should have put it out of his reach.

Oh, I'm well aware that's not a single nibble ;). But another GPS wouldn't do much... this cat loves to chew on anything. But it actually WAS behind a closed cabinet door... that doesn't have a handle to boot (and isn't the type that you push in to click open, either). She just eventually somehow learned how to open it.

Well... it's entirely out of reach now, at least.

I don't have cats but I do have a golden retriever who has eaten (twice) my Palm Tungston data cable. I don't understand why she does it because I take her with me whenever I go out caching. Maybe it's her way of telling me I spend to much time on the computer and not enough time on the trails.