Attribute Suggestion

M-T-P

I'm sorry if this has been suggested before.... oh, who am I kidding. I don't care, I'm suggesting it anyway! ;)

I'd love for cache finders to be able to suggest attributes for caches, and if enough cachers suggest the same attribute have it applied automatically. In essence, attribute "voting". Technically, this is already possible with the "needs maintenance" attribute. We just need it available for all attributes.

Here are two examples:

1) If a cache location is surrounded by Poison Ivy, but the cache owner doesn't set the "poison plants" attribute. (This could really help out a lot of cachers allergic to the stuff.)

2) If an urban cache is hidden in a restricted daytime-only area, but the cache owner doesn't set the "not available at night" attribute.

Not a bad idea, but.... Does the cache owner have veto power? I could see cases where the requisite number of "voters" could vote in an incorrect attribute, for whatever devious motive.

Or, you could just e-mail the owner with the info and let him edit the attributes.

One thing to remember, there is a 10 attribute limit on caches so, if the cache is at it's limit, that may explain the initial ommision.

... and if enough cachers suggest the same attribute have it applied automatically.

I'm not sure how I feel about this idea, yet.

How would enough cachers be determined? Are you thinking of a specific number? Would it be a certain percentage of cachers within' specific square miles of the cache or maybe a certain percentage of those who have found the cache.

1) If a cache location is surrounded by Poison Ivy, but the cache owner doesn't set the "poison plants" attribute. (This could really help out a lot of cachers allergic to the stuff.)

I wouldn't want someone else controlling my cache page. They may be mistaken, the information may change over time, or they may use it inappropriately (too casually or too often, to cause problems, etc).

I've read many reports/complaints about the "poison ivy" near caches (mine and other people's)...but when I get to the cache all I see are other vines--like blackberry, raspberry, wild grape, milk weed, periwinkle, honeysuckle, Virginia Creeper, and even kudzu and English Ivy.

It could be that the poison ivy has been removed by someone since the log, but I suspect that most of the logs are from people who assume that any vine in a wild area must be poison ivy. Some of these look nothing like any variety of poison ivy, others are irritants themselves (Virginia Creeper can be).

In my part of the country, just about any cache in a rural setting will have some type of noxious weed nearby--the one I always find (with bare legs) is stinging nettle. My daughter is so highly allergic to PI she swears she can walk within ten feet of a plant and end up in the doctor's office. She just presumes she has come in contact with it when she is out in the wilds and takes precautions to prevent problems.

Overuse of an icon makes people ignore them. Knowing that, I tend to save the icon for caches where you run into a noxious plant where you wouldn't expect it.

The fact is that if there are snakes, or poisonous plants the word will get out anyway.

Among locals, sure. But what about those caching outside of their local area and who rely on accurate information in cache descriptions and attributes?

Prime, I am totally in favor of allowing cache owners to decide what gets posted in their cache description, but we both know that doesn't always happen. Groundspeak and you guys get veto power. :shocked: Even in attributes, this idea of complete "owner control" has already been somewhat violated with the "Needs Maintenance" attribute. However, to further this "Needs Maintenance" example, whenever a user suggests "Needs Maintenance", the owner can always override that attribute if he/she wants to.

All I'm looking for is a suggestion mechanism with optional automatic application. Just like the NM attribute, if other attributes get suggested and automatically applied, the owner can always go in and remove any applied attributes. Ideally, if someone suggests an attribute and the cache owner agrees, he/she will go ahead and apply the attribute without having to resort to the automatic application.

M-T-P

Maybe just a simple email stating something like: "4 out 5 vistors have suggested you add the "snake" attribute to cache GCxxxx - Please consider adding it".

Follow that up with the same text in a window anytime the owner visits the listing page for that cache (popup window??).

Would that work?

Not interested. It's my cache. As long as it meets the guidelines a finder has no business adding attributes beyond suggesting it to me.

The Needs Maintenance was added as a convenient way for seekers to notify the owner of a situation while, much like the current rating system, letting others know what to expect when they get there. Also, how would you handle unknown caches and liars caches?

What next, let users control terrain and difficulty? Just like attributes, these can change with experience. I have many caches that can be done 24/7 however I don't use this attribute possily because of neighborhood, etc.

The owners know their caches well enough to do this quite well, no help needed.

People have different views to a cache. I vote no. This past early Spring a difficulty 5 cache was finally found after quite a few months of puzzle solving. The FTF cacher (newbie) thought it was out in the open so, he elected to move it to a "better" location. It ended up being muggled. The cache had been placed some 8 months prior when all the briers and other vegetation was in full bloom. In a few weeks it would have been completely covered again. What I perceive as a great placement in the Winter and Spring to some would not look good and may not be visible for poison ivy or have ticks, snakes present. During other parts of the year they might. So, do I go back every 6-7 months and change my attributes? No, I pick what I think is appropriate. I will take into consideration if someone emails me and requests something needs added. But, it is my cache and my decision.