Carabiner on the Colorado

MtnHermit

The Colorado comes with a slick carabiner that attaches to the silver bracket on the battery cover. Is anyone using the carabiner? If so how?

I just did a 4-mile showshoe hike and I had the Colorado attached high on my daypacks shoulder strap via the carabiner. I couldn't easily pivot the GPS to read the display. Thought I might use a retractable tool cord or a short bungee cord. Any ideas?

Thanks

The Colorado comes with a slick carabiner that attaches to the silver bracket on the battery cover. Is anyone using the carabiner? If so how?

I just did a 4-mile showshoe hike and I had the Colorado attached high on my daypacks shoulder strap via the carabiner. I couldn't easily pivot the GPS to read the display. Thought I might use a retractable tool cord or a short bungee cord. Any ideas?

Thanks

I have the Oregon but it is the same carabiner and I love it. I typically wear a 5.11 Tactical Fleece Sheriff's Jacket that includes coth strips just below the shoulders for radio mike's. The carabiner clip snaps in there perfectly and I can twist the OR around to read it without unclipping. Works great.

I have the Oregon but it is the same carabiner and I love it. I typically wear a 5.11 Tactical Fleece Sheriff's Jacket that includes coth strips just below the shoulders for radio mike's. The carabiner clip snaps in there perfectly and I can twist the OR around to read it without unclipping. Works great.
Surprised you're able to get it far enough away to see the display and focus. Do you have a photo?

Theirs a prison in town, I'll have to pay attention next time I see one of the guards.

Thanks

When I was in baghdad I used "gearkeeper". It comes apart to run throught the bottom of a pouch or something to that nature so when it retracted it sucked it into the pocket. I loved the setup the only down fall is that I couldn't find any part of my garmin Legend HCX that was strong enough to endure the beating that I put it throught. In short awesome set up but needs some work on garmins part, meaning some sort of securing device or part of the body.

I use the carabiner all the time. But mine is starting to get hard to open and won't close now unless Ipush it close. I don't know if the spring system in the latch is messed up or what. I force myself to get use to a neck laynard and have found it was a bit weird getting used to the carabiner, and found myself in a few brief panic attack's looking for it and it's not around my neck, it was clipped on my side. :(

I use the carabiner all the time. But mine is starting to get hard to open and won't close now unless Ipush it close. I don't know if the spring system in the latch is messed up or what. I force myself to get use to a neck laynard and have found it was a bit weird getting used to the carabiner, and found myself in a few brief panic attack's looking for it and it's not around my neck, it was clipped on my side. :(

Mine did the same thing. Spray the hinge with WD40 and it will work fine.

The ID badge holders won't work because they release with just 2oz-3oz of pull. You need a retractor that has a release point of 8oz or more.

I never said retractor. I said a neck lanyard. What you want is one of the badge holder lanyards that has the flat, clear plastic badge holder with the snap (like a small clothing snap) that goes through a hole in the badge. This will fit perfectly on the carabiner mount piece off the Colorado.

lanyard_1.jpg

lanyard_2.jpg

Edited by qlenfg

The ID badge holders won't work because they release with just 2oz-3oz of pull. You need a retractor that has a release point of 8oz or more.

I never said retractor. I said a neck lanyard. What you want is one of the badge holder lanyards that has the flat, clear plastic badge holder with the snap (like a small clothing snap) that goes through a hole in the badge. This will fit perfectly on the carabiner mount piece off the Colorado.

lanyard_1.jpg

lanyard_2.jpg

You're very trusting of a snap, which is intended to hold nothing heaver than the weight of a couple of credit cards.

Hi there,

I use my Oregon 300 for geocaching mostly and hold it in the hand. I wanted to add a wrist strap/band to it.

Anyone know it this is allowed this way ? (sorry for the bad quality pictures).

Foto-CAKVMAWW.jpg

Foto-DZMXNPMJ.jpg

Thanks Surfcaster and g-o-cachers for thehelp.

Edited by Cpl_Uhl

@glenfg. I like the idea, just assumed you were referring to the recoil type not the lanyard. The only thing I would be concerned about is the reliability of that plastic tab. They get pretty brittle in the cold around here and I've seen them break over time even carrying an id card around.

I've used quite a few of those lanyards and badge holders over the years and I haven't broken one yet. I figure the plastic mount on the Colorado is gonna go first, since you have to take it off every battery change and when you use a R.A.M. mount. However, I mostly carry my GPS in hand with a small microfiber camera lens cleaning cloth attached to the plastic badge holder. The lanyard sees very little actual neck use.

Thanks for all the replies, helped a lot. Here's what I ended up doing, subject to change as I use it.

Front_shoulder.jpgRear_shoulder.jpg

Clip.jpg

As you can see I cut off the Garmin web loop and removed the carabiner. Then I added a Fastex clip, this allowed me to reverse the Colorado for brush and/or rocks. I feel the Fastex will be easier to attach than trying to find a loop with the carabiner. Jury is still out.

@glenfg. I like the idea, just assumed you were referring to the recoil type not the lanyard. The only thing I would be concerned about is the reliability of that plastic tab. They get pretty brittle in the cold around here and I've seen them break over time even carrying an id card around.

I've used quite a few of those lanyards and badge holders over the years and I haven't broken one yet. I figure the plastic mount on the Colorado is gonna go first, since you have to take it off every battery change and when you use a R.A.M. mount. However, I mostly carry my GPS in hand with a small microfiber camera lens cleaning cloth attached to the plastic badge holder. The lanyard sees very little actual neck use.

Hi Glen,

I use a lanyard, too. My setup looks almost identical to yours, except that instead of the plastic badge holder piece, I just left on the original nylon strap that came with the Garmin plastic mount. It seems like that is much sturdier than the clear badge holder piece, and you don't have to worry about that snap coming undone. The only advantage I can see with the clear badge holder piece is that it is easy to snap on/off. However, I notice that your setup (like mine) has a spring-loaded latch mechanism that came with the lanyard, so that should suffice for that purpose. So I'm just curious -- why did you choose to go with the clear plastic badge holder piece in place of the original short nylon strap that came with the plastic mount?

George

Hi Glen,

I use a lanyard, too. My setup looks almost identical to yours, except that instead of the plastic badge holder piece, I just left on the original nylon strap that came with the Garmin plastic mount. It seems like that is much sturdier than the clear badge holder piece, and you don't have to worry about that snap coming undone. The only advantage I can see with the clear badge holder piece is that it is easy to snap on/off. However, I notice that your setup (like mine) has a spring-loaded latch mechanism that came with the lanyard, so that should suffice for that purpose. So I'm just curious -- why did you choose to go with the clear plastic badge holder piece in place of the original short nylon strap that came with the plastic mount?

George

Long before R.A.M. came out with the mount for the Colorado, I made one out of a piece of brass sheeting and a R.A.M. threaded ball. It actually slipped around the plastic piece and into the slots. The nylon strap was in the way.

I like that Fastex clip - I may do something like that to mine - however, has anyone tried the new Foarm Colorado protector? It looks to use a different clip system on the rear of the Colorado and I wondered how folks got along with it, before purchasing one myself and/or modifying the existing to use the Fastex clip.

Cheers,

Jon.

If you decide to use a Fastex clip, you do NOT have to cut the webbing. The bottom "pin" on the Garmin plastic clip is split. Easy with a needle nose pliers to get the webbing off the pin.

Awesome, and does it all go back together sturdily enough to trust? I already use a secondary wire 'just in case' when I use the carabiner. Ideally I'd like a tether to the Colorado itself rather than the back clip, but alas it doesn't seem to have anything. I notice on the Foarm case there is provision for a lanyard, which was one of the things that appeals to me about it.

Cheers,

J

51-QSSiPhTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

51juQSLHLBL._AA280_.jpg

Edited by Dakar4x4
Awesome, and does it all go back together sturdily enough to trust?
IMO, the weakest link of the Fastex, webbing and Garmin plastic is the Fastex clip. Probably good for 10 lbs before it'll fail, a guess.

51-QSSiPhTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

51juQSLHLBL._AA280_.jpg

Theirs a review on Amazon. From that and these photos I'll suggest the Foarm hinges at the bottom and the shoe lace is required to hold the two halves together, the spring slider suggest that. The "foam" is apparently very rigid and we all know Colorado's love batteries.

I considered the foarm, but didn't like the cost or the belt clip. Since Garmin supplied an elegant hanging solution, thought I'd use it. Because I wanted to hang it backward, I thought the aluminum carabiner might interfere with satellite reception, so decided on the plastic Fastex.