Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

ciscokid2005

hi...I'm looking at a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx (its on sale here this wekend). I'm looking to use it for hiking on local trail systems so that i dont get lost, as well as knowing how far I am from my destination. Geocaching is not on the top of my list right now. Is this a good entry level GPS for my needs. Are the garmin topo maps detalied for what I want? Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

This is the exact model GPS I have and I have to say, I really like it. I have loaded a ton of different maps on it and have had no problems with them whatsoever. As for the detail on the HCx, that totally depends on the map you put on it.

For someone who had no knowledge of trail GPS's before, I found this one easy to learn, and it took me no time at all before I was able to load anything I needed onto it including caches.

The only downside to this particular unit is the rubber lining along the outside of the unit. Mine started coming off after about 6 months. I have a very low tech fix which has worked (tight elastic around the unit). Beyond that minor issue, I definitely recommend it especially if you can get it at a good price.

hi...I'm looking at a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx (its on sale here this wekend). I'm looking to use it for hiking on local trail systems so that i dont get lost, as well as knowing how far I am from my destination. Geocaching is not on the top of my list right now. Is this a good entry level GPS for my needs. Are the garmin topo maps detalied for what I want? Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

I just bought mine on sale a few days ago. It should be here today! I think I got it for 164 at walmart. Apparently everyone says it is a fantastic deal.

It's perfect for what you want it for. Just keep in mind that the Legend HCX doesn't have a magnetic compass, so you need to be moving for it tell you direction. If you want an electronic, magnetic compass you have to move up to the Vista HCX (look down a few threads on this page. There is one thread that mentions that the Vista HCX was on sale for less than the Legend HCX. Not sure if the sale is still in effect).

Also consider getting topo maps for it. Your unit will come with a base map that shows only major roads, cities and bodies of water. It's virtually useless.

Edited by briansnat
The only downside to this particular unit is the rubber lining along the outside of the unit. Mine started coming off after about 6 months. I have a very low tech fix which has worked (tight elastic around the unit). Beyond that minor issue, I definitely recommend it especially if you can get it at a good price.

^Zor^

Sorry for getting off topic but ^Zor^ if you call or email Garmin they will send you a new band and everything you need to fix your GPSr. They did me for mt Garmin Etrix Venture CX and it was over a year old.

edit to fix typo

Edited by Lacomo

^Zor^

Sorry for getting off topic but ^Zor^ if you call or email Garmin they will send you a new band and everything you need to fix your GPSr. They did me for mt Garmin Etrix Venture CX and it was over a year old.

edit to fix typo

Thanks for the info. It's not a big deal. I expect to upgrade to the Orgeon this year and I have gotten used to the rubber band on the GPS. Kinda like a badge of honor of sorts <_<