golden ammo containers

LCSM

If you sand it and clean the dust off before using a quality paint like Krylon it will hold up well. The abuse it suffers when being dragged over rocks and slammed around will scratch it no matter what you do. I've only painted a few but the others that I have found also support that as well.

Electroplating process should coat it with a nice thin layer. However, gold is a very soft metal and will be subject to lots of bumps and scratches. Mix in a little harder metal to give it more duarability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_plating

........oh wait - you mean paint........

Sand a bit and remove the rust before painting. ;)

Edited by StarBrand
What is the best way to make a golden ammo container, so it stays golden in harsh weather?
Strip all the paint off of the ammo can until it's bare metal, clean with degreaser and send it out to be Poly-Ond coated (a nickel and phosphorus coating with Teflon impregnation) and it should last several hundred years. Of course it will end up being a rather expensive ammo can but it would be able to handle complete emersion in salt water. ;)

Then again just cleaning off any surface rust and painting with some good Krylon camo paint and make sure the rubber seal is good and it will last for the life of the hide (or until it gets muggled). I would highly recommend painting the base with the dark green camo paint, then using something like a dead tree branch with leaves or a palmetto frond, lay it on the can and give it a dusting of light tan camo paint and it breaks up the sharp edges and lines of the can and makes it blend in with the surroundings better :D

clean with degreaser

This is an important step to achieving a durable paint job.

I wash them really good with hot soapy water, inside and out.

I rough the surface with a sanding sponge, the original paintjob usually adheres at industrial strength so I try and leave that paint job intact (the yellow writing comes off easily) and I cover it with the my new one.

I wipe them down with methyl hydrate, it is cheap and it works well - I do this outside not inside.

After wiping them down make sure you don't touch the wiped surface prior to painting, the oil on your fingers will create a weak spot in the paint job.

I like to paint ammo cans on the inside as well and I like to use really bright lively colours. I have ammo cans painted orange, blue, even pink but just inside.

I use flat Tremclad for the outside paint job but any high quality paint will do.

Electroplating process should coat it with a nice thin layer. However, gold is a very soft metal and will be subject to lots of bumps and scratches. Mix in a little harder metal to give it more duarability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_plating

I was gonna send much the same post, but StarBrand beat me to it! I agree... the only true gold ammo can is one plated in gold via electroplating, and you will want to include a harder metal as well to make the coating more durable. And, I recommend and under-layer of pure copper.

Step 1: Place can on drop cloth (This step is optional if not married)

Step 2: Spray can with Rustoleum Universal Metallic spray paint (Gold)

Step 3: Allow to dry

Step 4: Reposition ammo can handles

<Repeat steps 2 & 3>

Step 5: Flip box over

<Repeat steps 2 & 3>

Edited by sbell111

I have always washed the can, sanded lightly, sprayed with a primer, then sprayed gold. Be sure to remove the lid and let it dry completely before flipping it to paint the other side.

That's pretty much my process too, but I also thoroughly clean the inside of the can. I paint the inside with a contrasting color like yellow or orange. You can buy something called "TSP" (tri-sodium phosphate) that works well for cleaning the inside and outside of the can. It removes any oils or ammo residue.

Vinyl wrap is a good idea, but also look into powder coating, they can do metallic colors (I've see chrome-looking powder coating), and powder coating is very tough and will hold up to a lot. Not sure how much it would cost, but if you want durable, you're going to be paying one way or another.

the original paintjob usually adheres at industrial strength so I try and leave that paint job intact

Add me to the "Leave the original paint intact" camp. I'll treat the areas that need it, (rust/scrapes/etc), then lightly sand the whole thing and wash off any oils prior to doing any camo. If I were to try doing one in gold, I'd add a good layer of primer.

After a light wipe down, you can stick the can bottom in a dishwasher. The high temps (assuming you have a recently manufactured washer that heats its own water) and the detergent does a great job. I don't put the lid in to spare the gasket the exposure. Sand rust to shiny metal, prime.

Whenever you're gilding, know that you gild over red > so prime with a reddish primer, which is the common metal primer color anyway.