New geocahcer and Nedd HELP with Garmin 60CSX

bkh1972

I am a new geocahcer so please bear with me. I just got my new 60CSX a few days ago and have read over the instruction manual however I am still somewhat confused. I have downloaded the GSAK software and have transfered some to my GPS without any problems.

What I need help with is getting from point A (either home or where I park my car) to the cache. I need to know what to clcik on with my GPS (screen wise) so I can track to the cache. I have not loaded any software such as TOPO or Navigator into the unit yet but do plan to in the near future. I guess I just need to know the basic way to track to the cache. How do I know when I am close to the cache or heading in the right direction? Also I have an older PALM Pilot I am going to place my pocket queries on but I need a little advise on how to get them from the Geocaching website to GSAK than to my Palm pilot.

As always thanks for your help!

To get to the cache:

FIND> Geocaches >ENTER>Scroll to the cache you want>ENTER>GoTo>Follow road >ENTER>push PAGE to the navigation page and follow the directions to the cache

--you might find the compass page helpful too--just page to it, the rest of the info is saved

(works better after you add city navigation maps, but works "out of the box")

To get to the cache after you have navigated close to it:

Menu>enter>stop navigation>off road>enter>switch to compass page if you aren't already there

After you find it (while on the compass page):

FOUND>FIND NEXT

If you don't find one, or prefer to skip one just use the select cache and "go to" method above

To mark where you park your car (highly recommended if you will be walking any distance in a strange area), press down on the MARK button and name it something like CAR 12/18 by scrolling to the section you want to edit pushing ENTER and using the keys to change the info then telling it OK or GO TO

Play around with adding more information to the screens until you find what suits you.

On my compass page I have heading, elevation, and time to destination showing right now. I change it to suit what I am doing that day.

While on the compass screen push MENU>DATA FIELDS to set up the # of fields you want (3 or 4) and while on the screen choose the arrow in the corner of the field and scroll to find the info you want.

You can add data fields to your map page too, if you like (None 2, 3, or 4).

I don't because I want more filed of view. I don't "show guidance text when navigating" but my husband likes that there. I prefer the pop-up info that the gps gives when it is navigating.

Well since Neos2 has helped with you GPSr problem. I will comment on your Palm question. First you will need to be a premiere member on Geocaching.com. The you'll need to download Cachemate for your Palm you can find the download here Smittyware. and install cachemate on your Palm. The all you have to do is load a pocket query from geocaching web site to GSAK. Then in GSAK click on file and the scroll down to Export and the click on Cachmate PDF file. 099e7743b50fe444c3206cadd2f422cd.png.

after that you will get a screen like this. a34db0f276b745c3fb66c4a351be3046.png

Be sure you have the Install to Palm after conversion checked,and click on generate button. After that your PDF file will be sent to your Palm install tool and will be ready for Hot sync.

Play around with adding more information to the screens until you find what suits you.

On my compass page I have heading, elevation, and time to destination showing right now. I change it to suit what I am doing that day.

While on the compass screen push MENU>DATA FIELDS to set up the # of fields you want (3 or 4) and while on the screen choose the arrow in the corner of the field and scroll to find the info you want.

You can add data fields to your map page too, if you like (None 2, 3, or 4).

I don't because I want more filed of view. I don't "show guidance text when navigating" but my husband likes that there. I prefer the pop-up info that the gps gives when it is navigating.

Thanks for all the help!! I need a little help on how to get the pocket queries from Geocaching.com to GSAK?

Well since Neos2 has helped with you GPSr problem. I will comment on your Palm question. First you will need to be a premiere member on Geocaching.com. The you'll need to download Cachemate for your Palm you can find the download here Smittyware. and install cachemate on your Palm. The all you have to do is load a pocket query from geocaching web site to GSAK. Then in GSAK click on file and the scroll down to Export and the click on Cachmate PDF file. 099e7743b50fe444c3206cadd2f422cd.png.

after that you will get a screen like this. a34db0f276b745c3fb66c4a351be3046.png

Be sure you have the Install to Palm after conversion checked,and click on generate button. After that your PDF file will be sent to your Palm install tool and will be ready for Hot sync.

Could you please tell me how I can get my pocket queries sent from Geocaching.com to GSAK? ALittle lost there...thanks

To get to the cache:

FIND> Geocaches >ENTER>Scroll to the cache you want>ENTER>GoTo>Follow road >ENTER>push PAGE to the navigation page and follow the directions to the cache

--you might find the compass page helpful too--just page to it, the rest of the info is saved

(works better after you add city navigation maps, but works "out of the box")

To get to the cache after you have navigated close to it:

Menu>enter>stop navigation>off road>enter>switch to compass page if you aren't already there

After you find it (while on the compass page):

FOUND>FIND NEXT

If you don't find one, or prefer to skip one just use the select cache and "go to" method above

To mark where you park your car (highly recommended if you will be walking any distance in a strange area), press down on the MARK button and name it something like CAR 12/18 by scrolling to the section you want to edit pushing ENTER and using the keys to change the info then telling it OK or GO TO

So when I get to the cache or close how will I know on my GPS? Is there a way to make an alarm to let you know your in the area?

So when I get to the cache or close how will I know on my GPS? Is there a way to make an alarm to let you know your in the area?

I don't have a 60 CSX but my Etrex Vista and my Oregon both beep when I am near the cache.

To your other question on getting the PQ into GSAK, when you installed GSAK it should have associated .gpx files to open with it. So open the zip file and double click the ###.gpx and it should open GSAK and import it.

If it's not, in GSAK go to Tools/GPX File Association and make sure the box is checked.

You can see your position on the GPS map screen, it is the black triangle. The cache is indicated by the symbol you have chosen, the default is the treasure chest and a lot of people change that because it can clutter your screen up when you zoom Out.

I never use the routing function, I just start heading towards the geocache location and use the button marked In to zoom down as I get closer. As long as I can see me and the geocache on the screen at the same time I can move myself and see that movement on the on the GPS, I move towards the cache.

I just keep moving towards the cache and pushing In as much as possible.

If I go In too close I have to push Out to keep me and the geocache on the map at the same time.

As you get closer you just keep pushing the In button making sure you keep you and the cache on the screen at the same time.

Eventually the scale in the lower left will show you the scaling unit is twenty feet, that is as zoomed In as you get, put away your GPS and start looking.

A caveat here, even though the GPS says the cache is over thataway, stay on the trail.

800 feet and 20 feet are very different scales, when you get zoomed down to 120 feet or 80 feet then you might leave the trail if you have to. If it says 500 feet or 800 feet in the scale you should stick to the trail because it will almost always curve back to the cache.

If you are on the wrong trail you might have to bushwhack but when you get to the cache hiding spot you will find the right trail back.

Have fun, you might want to just print out a few cache pages at first, you can figure out the Palm and GSAK and all that other stuff later.

You will see the cache getting closer on the navigation screen, the icon will get closer on the navigation screen, and if you have information boxes set up to tell you distance or time to the cache, they will show the numbers running down.

There is a way to set up proximity alarms: Main Menu>Setup>System>Proximity alarms on

You will see the cache getting closer on the navigation screen, the icon will get closer on the navigation screen, and if you have information boxes set up to tell you distance or time to the cache, they will show the numbers running down.

There is a way to set up proximity alarms: Main Menu>Setup>System>Proximity alarms on

Do you think it is better to use TRACK UP or NORTH UP? Advantages/disadvantages?

Do you think it is better to use TRACK UP or NORTH UP? Advantages/disadvantages?

I prefer NORTH UP because the map doesn't swing around as you move. I'm a visual learner and I've always been naturally good at reading maps. I was taught to read them north up, and that has just stuck with me. Somehow it helps me to stay oriented to be able to see that I am heading SW or NE as I go and that the cache is east of where I am (or north or whatever).

My husband prefers TRACK UP because (he says) he likes to see which roads are coming up. He just wants to know which way to turn to stay pointed toward the cache. When you use the unit TRACK UP, the whole view swings as you make your turns, which disorients me, but helps him stay oriented.

It's a lot like being in a huge computer game. Some people prefer the play first person and some prefer the third person view. My husband's way is the first person view. Interestingly enough, that is how I prefer to play my video games, but not how I prefer to cache.

I can't think of any distinct programming benefits or disadvantages. Our units will alert us to upcoming turns etc at almost exactly the same time, even though we use the different perspectives. One thing I have noticed is that I can use the gps his way but he cannot tolerate the gps being set my way. I don't know if that is just simple preference or if there is some mental flexibility that comes from using it north up---perhaps my mind is already turning the view around internally, while his mind 'needs' his forward path to be obvious?

A recent study done by a college student found that "However, north-up displays were rated best for ease and accuracy of interpretation. The results support the hypothesis that north-up displays are easier to interpret in situations when workload is high, requiring less cognitive resources to maintain a greater position awareness relative to aerodromes enroute."

Try it both ways and see which you prefer, is my only advice. The professional guides and real hikers on the forums usually advise to use the unit North up.

I have not loaded any software such as TOPO or Navigator into the unit yet but do plan to in the near future. I guess I just need to know the basic way to track to the cache.

Without road maps (Navigator, or similar) loaded into the GPSr, you will not be able to follow roads. You'll need to know a general location and use the GPSr when you get close.

Good luck.

I have not loaded any software such as TOPO or Navigator into the unit yet but do plan to in the near future. I guess I just need to know the basic way to track to the cache.

Without road maps (Navigator, or similar) loaded into the GPSr, you will not be able to follow roads. You'll need to know a general location and use the GPSr when you get close.

Good luck.

The base map will auto-route----just not very well. If you have topo maps loaded the unit reverts to the the base map for navigation. Effective navigation only happens with city maps.

The way I get to mine is to use the "page" button to get to the "map" screen. From there, zoom in or out to show the caches and then use the round thumb pad to move the curser over the cache you want. After a second or so. it will turn white. Push the "enter" button and then "go to". Take off and go find the cache. Thanks - CachinSpree

The way I get to mine is to use the "page" button to get to the "map" screen. From there, zoom in or out to show the caches and then use the round thumb pad to move the curser over the cache you want. After a second or so. it will turn white. Push the "enter" button and then "go to". Take off and go find the cache. Thanks - CachinSpree

Wow! You learn something new everyday! I didn't know I could do this on my unit & I've had it for a couple of years.

While you're learning, it might be helpful not to "follow road" at first. Use off-road - less steps for you to remember. Play with the "page" button & see what screens you can use when navigating to the cache. The map page is useful until you get closer.

Also, go to some of your local caching events & hook up with an experienced cacher. You learn a lot by caching with others!

You've got a lot on your plate trying to learn everything at once (GSAK, cachemate, AND your GPSr).

Edited by Lizzy

That does work, but I usually don't recommend it to people that aren't familiar with their units ----because on most units (including the 60 CSx), if you aren't careful, you can move the waypoint accidentally.

After it turns white and you push the "enter" button, the guidance text on the cache will say "move" --if you even slightly move the cursor after that point, the waypoint is changed. You may not notice it if you aren't looking for it. If you just choose 'enter' and then 'go to' that isn't a problem.

That does work, but I usually don't recommend it to people that aren't familiar with their units ----because on most units (including the 60 CSx), if you aren't careful, you can move the waypoint accidentally.

After it turns white and you push the "enter" button, the guidance text on the cache will say "move" --if you even slightly move the cursor after that point, the waypoint is changed. You may not notice it if you aren't looking for it. If you just choose 'enter' and then 'go to' that isn't a problem.

If you want to select a waypoint you see on the map, a better way is to just move the pointer near it, then press the Find button. Finds will be centered around the pointer, instead of your current position. The waypoint should be the first on the list. This way, you won't accidentally move the waypoint.