WELCOME to the the New Cachers (2008)

Markwell

We did a few years ago and again last year, so with the mass purchases of GPS units this year, I thought it was a good idea to repeat this thread again this year.

=================

First off - Welcome to the new cachers reading this board. It seems that every year around the time that potential cachers start unwrapping Christmas presents and their new GPS, new players to our wonderful hobby/game/sport come to Geocaching.com and these forums - and THEY HAVE QUESTIONS!

We're a pretty welcoming group - and we're here to help. Unfortunately, many people skip over those handy "Sticky Threads" at the top, and there's an important thread up there:

arrow_left.giftiny_arrow_right.giftiny_arrow_right.giftiny_arrow_right.gifRead First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions tiny_arrow_left.giftiny_arrow_left.giftiny_arrow_left.gifarrow_right.gif

In that thread you can find many answers to a bunch of questions, and links to other FAQs around the web (including mine). Here's a sampling of the questions in the "Read First" thread:

GPS Related:

--What GPS Should I Purchase?

--How do I manually enter cache coordinates into my GPSr?

--Can I use a GPS while on an airline?

Seeking a Cache:

--How do I find out about new caches hidden near me?

--What Icons Represent the Different Cache Types?

--Locationless, Virtual and Webcam Caches

--Finding Handicapped Accessible Geocaches

Logging Your Finds:

--How do I log a cache that I searched for?

--Do I need to wait for confirmation from the owner before logging a virtual cache find?

--What is an "SBA" or "Needs Archived" log?

--Meanings of Acronyms and Terms Used in Geocaching

--Can I log a find on my own cache when I go back to visit?

Hiding a Cache:

--How do I Get a Photo to Display on my Cache Page?

--What's the Purpose of a "Note to Reviewer" and How Do They Work?

--How to add HTML to Your Cache Page

--Where do I find the "Stash Note" to put in my cache to explain what it is?

--How do I "average" a waypoint?

--Cache Saturation Guidelines: The "528 foot rule"

--Who's Watching My Cache

--What are "Additional Waypoints" and How Do I Add Them To My Cache Page?

--How do I Adopt Ownership of a Geocache?

Other

--How do I change my username?

--All About CITO (Cache In Trash Out)

--Travel Bug and Geocoin FAQ's

--Geocacher University (brochure, tips on Paperless caching with a PDA)

--What's the meaning behind the Geocaching logo?

--Ethical Guidelines for Geocaching

--How do I become a volunteer cache reviewer?

Forums:

--Using the Forum Search Feature*

--Forum Posting Guidelines and Forum Moderators

--Adding a Picture to a Forum Post

--Why Can't I Start a Poll?

--Where can I find the Off Topic Forum?

--What is the suggested forum etiquette?

*There over seven YEARS of posts on this board going back to October of 2000, and many of the questions you may have might have been answered already. Be sure to search the forums and FAQs in case there's an answer out there already.

If your answer isn't above in the FAQ sections or if you can't find your answer on the forums, by all means - ASK. We are glad to help.

Also - each "region" in the forums (for example: Midwest, Great Plains, West and Southwest) and SOME of the national forums (e.g. Canada, United Kingdom, etc) have pinned topics with posts containing links to regional organizations. If you're interested in finding a local Geocaching organization, look in your area's forums first.

Otherwise - WELCOME TO OUR ADDICTION!

Periodically, I may post a "bump" to the thread to make sure it stays toward the top of the Getting Started forum, at least until January 15

Me and Mrs. Doc just found out about geo-caching and found our first cache. Sounds like a real funny way to waste (er, I mean spend) a whole lotta time. Didn't know the first thing about GPS units until a few months ago when I got a Garmin for my car. We'll use it for a little while to see if the infatuation continues, althought I can't wait until we get to look for another.

Doc

Me and Mrs. Doc just found out about geo-caching and found our first cache. Sounds like a real funny way to waste (er, I mean spend) a whole lotta time. Didn't know the first thing about GPS units until a few months ago when I got a Garmin for my car. We'll use it for a little while to see if the infatuation continues, althought I can't wait until we get to look for another.

Doc

Infatuation is a good word to describe the first flush of excitement that people find in geocaching, it is just such an exciting idea.

Yes, the Forums are very busy this year.

Merry Christmas Markwell!

For new geocachers and Forum readers I thought I would add this tidbit of information that is commonly known in the "geocaching community". One of the most helpful people (and friendliest) you will find in these forums is our own Markwell.

He is so helpful that when you ask a question that has been asked before and a link is provided to the existing answer rather than a entirely new answer then you have been markwelled.

So now you know.

Here is another little known fact but established geocachers know it is the truth.

If you read these forums all the time then you are going to see that we have an elf, disguised as a leprechaun who is actually a frog dressed in a hamster suit who is masquerading as a rock. Often a glimpse of the hamster is the only evidence that this is all happening at once and together at the same time each and both. Now you know.

Well I see my legs growing and will soon be able to jump on the lilypad.

The Pony is coming home tonight with a Lowrance - Finder H20 GPS WAAS Receiver.

He was out on the range working and another sparky had the Lowrance in his saddlebag.

That sparky even rides in a Yellow Jeep! He has loaned us his barely used GPS citing he only looks for directions not caches ~ ;)

My long story begins with The Pony and I searching for our first cache tomorrow. The best part is the filly and the foal want to come for the ride. Happy Caching indeed :D

Here is another little known fact but established geocachers know it is the truth.

If you read these forums all the time then you are going to see that we have an elf, disguised as a leprechaun who is actually a frog dressed in a hamster suit who is masquerading as a rock. Often a glimpse of the hamster is the only evidence that this is all happening at once and together at the same time each and both. Now you know.

heh wavector ... this almost sounds like another puzzle for newbies ;)

heh wavector ... this almost sounds like another puzzle for newbies ;)

Congratulations on becoming a Premium Member of geocaching.com ImaMystic and congratulations on losing that tail! If you are a new geocacher then you should know you will be called a Tadpole here in the Forums until you make ten posts. The Tadpole designation will protect you should you wander into threads where there are electrified objects and such, think of it as a free asbestos suit.

There are many regular readers who will be stumped by my line above but I assure you it is the exact truth and those who do understand it see hamsters all the time.

There are many mysteries in this activity that take time to figure out like the llamas or the dead clams. I see you have already noticed that this is a lilypad.

If you are going to use hamsters as trade items try and make sure you leave them in large caches only and it is really helpful if the cache is visited often. You do not want to leave a hamster in a high mountain cache in the fall just before the snow starts. If you do find dead clams you are doing something wrong, it isn't supposed to work that way. Llamas are a given because everyone is different, your llama and my llama may be entirely different and they only share the name llama because we both have our own ideas about llamas. Sometimes everyone sees a llama, but not often.

Bump.

Please do not use hamsters as trade items unless you are aware of ALL the implications. People have to think about the problems that might arise. What if the next geocacher to find the cache is allergic to hamsters? What if the next geocacher has extremely young children and they squeeze the hamster? Think about that.

Other "hamster" situations may be covered in the FAQ. (or not)

You can ask questions also.

If you are a new geocacher then this thread is a very handy reference. Most of the answers you need will be found by following up and reading the FAQ's that Markwell points out each year.

Next year my plan is to provide a link to the post that Markwell made last year thus "markwelling" Markwell, I am so cool. :P

That would be link to this thread!!

If you are a new geocacher then let me add my Welcome to the Welcome provided by Markwell.

If you have any questions then don't be afraid to ask Markwell!

Mark of Question #1 fame is not Markwell!

Only Markwell is Markwell, mark my words well. :ph34r:

Thanks and thanks for the links. We actually just started on the 3rd of January. We started rock hounding last year and hubby came across this and we decided to give it a try. 2 days and 11 caches and we are starting to catch on.

It is great isn't it!!!

Bumping this for the new geocachers.

!

It is great isn't it!!!

Bumping this for the new geocachers.

It is a great site. And thanks for not using the term "newbie"! For some reason that has always offended me. you can call me an a**, but I would prefer not "newbie". :blink:

Thanks Markwell! As you know I just joined recently too and found my first cache yesterday. On the first try too. :unsure:

Ok, I lied on the last part.

I hope you don't mind a redundant question now and then. There is a ton of reading to do about this and after a while my mind turns to mush....so I resort to the old standard of asking a question.

Thanks all.