Coins in the Wild Wild

Renegade Knight

Not so long ago, but longer than it seems I logged my first cache in some time and told a tall tale about geocaching suicide. Later I came back and placed a coin near where the cache was (it had long since been stolen by our cache maggot or his ilk) in plain sight and yet perhaps not so easy to find. I put a description on the coin as to where it may have landed.

Long story short. It never was in the cache. Merely in the area to fit the story, and waiting for somone to follow the clues to find it. It's a keeper if they do. Thus far I've had one person try, and another email me to let me know the cache was gone and likely my coin (which of course never was in the cache...)

Any other coins out there like this? In the real wild wild waiting to be found?

This brings to mind the Mystery Shadow that places his mystery coins sometime not in caches but gives clues and where to maybe find one , he may place them in the vacinity of a cache, but not in it, he may tap it to the lip or on the bottom of a cache. That is called a whole mystery in its self. We have come so close but so far away of getting one ourselves. Is this what you mean, something like this Renegade Knight?

This brings to mind the Mystery Shadow that places his mystery coins sometime not in caches but gives clues and where to maybe find one , he may place them in the vacinity of a cache, but not in it, he may tap it to the lip or on the bottom of a cache. That is called a whole mystery in its self. We have come so close but so far away of getting one ourselves. Is this what you mean, something like this Renegade Knight?

I was thinking a bit further away from the cache but the wild wild starts at the edge of the cache so yeah, this is it.

There was indeed a mystery cacher known as the PHANTOM CACHER!!! :) He dropped all his elusive coins in the same mannor as you describe! See this topic for more info http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...&hl=phantom

Definatley adds a new twist to the hunt and wish I had a chance at goin after such a mystery coin ;)

Havent seen the travels of the Phantom for some time, but he's out there!!! :)

At a CITO event I placed some coins on tree stumps, near benches and such. Then I posted the coordinates for each coin at the main "camp" and folks could seek them as they visited different areas of our adopted park to pick-up trash.

That was fun.

Next year, I am thinking of placing them, but not posting the coords until AFTER the CITO. So there'll be 10 or so coins "out there" and if you find one while picking-up trash - good for you! Any unfound coins at the end of the day will have their coords revealed and you can run off and get them.

Other than that, I'm not logging all my finds. I keep track of them and will log them one day, but sometimes I'll visit a cache, sign the book, and drop a coin. Then I'll just watch the cache to see if anyone says - "hey! there's an unlisted coin in here!" - nothing so far ;)

At a CITO event I placed some coins on tree stumps, near benches and such. Then I posted the coordinates for each coin at the main "camp" and folks could seek them as they visited different areas of our adopted park to pick-up trash.

That was fun.

Next year, I am thinking of placing them, but not posting the coords until AFTER the CITO. So there'll be 10 or so coins "out there" and if you find one while picking-up trash - good for you! Any unfound coins at the end of the day will have their coords revealed and you can run off and get them.

Other than that, I'm not logging all my finds. I keep track of them and will log them one day, but sometimes I'll visit a cache, sign the book, and drop a coin. Then I'll just watch the cache to see if anyone says - "hey! there's an unlisted coin in here!" - nothing so far :)

Ive done this aswell... Your right, often there is no mention of the grab. I left a bunch of activated coins to adopt to finders at GW6. Ive still got about 4 that were never grabbed! heres one http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1808950

I left them laying here and there and even clipped em to my backpack with a "TAKE ME" note... those were grabbed and have happy new owners. Only about 4 of the ones I left laying around were adopted out, the others are still logged in to GW, as thats where they were left. (edit to add: forgot I marked them all missing, so they're not in GW ;) )

Dropped unactivated coins in caches as prizes for the heck of it AND NO WORD on many of them...even contacted finders just to see if it was still in there on several occasions... "I didnt see it"

BUT...Those that have been grabbed and notified me were very happy and thankfull to find such a prize, so those make for the difference. Ive been activating them and adopting them out, rather than just dropping a unactivated coin to never know what happened to it!..funner that way too.

Edited by 007BigD