The Robert Burns 250th Anniversary Geocoin

Brave Defender

This coin was commissioned to mark the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns who was born on 25th January 1759. Burns is widely recognised across the world as a poet and lyricist and one of his best known songs is "Auld Lang Syne". This has been adopted by most of the world and is traditionally sung at Hogmanay (New Year). In Scotland and the world over he is affectionately known as "Scotland's Favourite Son"

The front of the coin shows a 3D image of Robert Burns with 1759 (his year of birth), the title of "Son of Scotland", his name, and 250 years. The coin is finished off using a subtly scalloped Celtic pattern around the perimeter.

The rear of the coin is in 2D and shows a small thistle in translucent colours at the top along with the last line of the chorus of Auld Lang Syne - "We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne".

The coin finishes are Bronze for the Limited Edition and only 75 are being made. The other is finished in Antique Silver and 175 of these will be minted initially. Both coins are approximately 48mm in diameter and 3.5mm thick.

The coins are trackable on geocaching.com and they have their own icon that shows on your profile when you log a find or discovery. The coin has been designed and produced in conjunction with Landsharkz.

The coins are on sale now and available from here

burnssilver.jpg

limitededition.jpg

Edited by Brave Defender

thats an fabulous coin, but i will say it here, why the heck are all the coins i like, coming out at such a silly time of year? i dont have the money to spare for these things, at xmas time my relatives are like a money sponge.

This coin is being released at this time as it is to commemorate the 250th anniversary of Robert Burns, pointless releasing it in February/March of next year as the occasion would have passed by then, and to sell it months before the anniversary just wouldn't be right!

You could always drop a link of the coin page to your relatives hinting for a Christmas present, although by now you will get it just a bit later than Crimbo day.

Mine have arrived too and these are really superior quality coins.

Well done for thinking of producing these for the homecoming year.

I have a question.

Does anybody know how many coins usually go into circulation and how many are kept as collectables.

I have bought a few of these ( well, I had to didn't I ) so some will go out to spread the word but I must keep one of each. I take it this is acceptable.

2nd Question.

Have they all sold already or can you give a weekly or monthly update as to how many are left still for sale.

If somebody abroad wants to send one out with a mission then I have placed caches with a Robert Burns theme around the Stirling area. If they arrive in one of my caches I will post it back to you.

Mine have arrived too and these are really superior quality coins.

Well done for thinking of producing these for the homecoming year.

I have a question.

Does anybody know how many coins usually go into circulation and how many are kept as collectables.

I have bought a few of these ( well, I had to didn't I ) so some will go out to spread the word but I must keep one of each. I take it this is acceptable.

2nd Question.

Have they all sold already or can you give a weekly or monthly update as to how many are left still for sale.

If somebody abroad wants to send one out with a mission then I have placed caches with a Robert Burns theme around the Stirling area. If they arrive in one of my caches I will post it back to you.

Hi

Many thanks for buying so many coins, we only have a handful of limited edition coins left and a reasonable supply of regular edition although at the going rate I expect they will be all gone well before burns night!

The circulation of the coins is entirely up the the owner, some people choose to set all their coins free which comes with certain risks. Others choose to hols onto them an allow others to discover them at events etc, some people do a bit of both.

I am not intending to re-mint any more of this coin but there will be a series of Scottish themed coins coming out over the next year or so. Anyone who wants one is advised to get them now before they are gone ;)

I think it is a meaningful coin Roddy regardless of who made it ... however, I am all the more pleased that it was made by someone from Scotland itself, I think that adds to the flavour.

I am not a Scot myself, but I have had fun caching in Scotland and have fond memories of studying his poetry at school ... in England. :D

My only disappointment is that our postie didn't bring mine this morning ;)

I am not intending to re-mint any more of this coin but there will be a series of Scottish themed coins coming out over the next year or so. Anyone who wants one is advised to get them now before they are gone :D

Oooooh aaaah, do tell me one of them is Greyfriars Bobby ... puhleeeeeeeeze!

I loved that cache in Edinburgh so much!

Och! Thank you that is my cache ;)

....I am all the more pleased that it was made by someone from Scotland itself, I think that adds to the flavour.

I (Mrs. LS) was born and raised in the Highlands and Mr. LS is an Englishman, so hopefully that gives a bit more Scottish strength to it - at least my input :( !

I'm so glad we were able to get these in Brave Defender's hands before Christmas!

I suppose we'd better get our thinkin' caps on for the next one on the series! You don't want to miss any of this Scottish set, so you'd better get a hold of BD or HH really soon to add this first one to your collection :D !

I am not intending to re-mint any more of this coin but there will be a series of Scottish themed coins coming out over the next year or so. Anyone who wants one is advised to get them now before they are gone :P

Oooooh aaaah, do tell me one of them is Greyfriars Bobby ... puhleeeeeeeeze!

I loved that cache in Edinburgh so much!

Och! Thank you that is my cache :(

Aye, so it was, but it sure involved a search before we got our mitts and paws on it!

The story behind that cache, Greyfriars Bobby is truly touching and every dog lover would surely be after a coin with that theme?!

Back to the coin in hand, I had hoped the postie might come today ... but not yet! :D

Wey hey! The postie came today :huh:

These coins are gorgeous, I am delighted with both the regular and LE ones, bigger and heavier than I had imagined too.

I did have plans to release one to hot foot it to Scotland for Burns Night, but now am not so sure ... might have to keep 'em a while <_<

Thanks everyone who got this coin into the mix, I love home grown ones :ph34r:

P.S. Any news about Bobby? hint, hint!

Wey hey! The postie came today :)

These coins are gorgeous, I am delighted with both the regular and LE ones, bigger and heavier than I had imagined too.

I did have plans to release one to hot foot it to Scotland for Burns Night, but now am not so sure ... might have to keep 'em a while :)

Thanks everyone who got this coin into the mix, I love home grown ones :D

P.S. Any news about Bobby? hint, hint!

I didn't think you would be disappointed they are quite a big and heavy coin and a good quality finish to boot!

I am receiving loads of requests for the LE ones but as the earlier post says they are all gone ("if you ain't fast you're last") :P

The Antique Silver are selling 2 and 3 at a time so won't be long until they are gone the first of the sales to North America have been shipped :D

Enjoy the coins :):)

Bobby is being considered :D

That was fast. I am very impressed.

I ordered another two coins to give away as "first foot" ( New Year ) presents for geocaching friends.

They came this morning.

Three days from ordering to arriving even with the Christmas post.

Have a good festive season everyone.

And sing the correct words of Auld Lang Syne at New Year, just for me please!!!

Edited by robertburns