Best 2008 Personal geocoin

PLnauta

1. Best personal geocoin

(geocoins that present the name of a geocacher, team, or geocoin collector on it);

Personal geocoins are great. They can show us a lot from the person behind the coin.

My choice (and remember this is a personal, hard choice, from my binders) is (ruffles please ):

Geok's Highwood Pass

The story behind, the beauty of the coin, the texture of the mountains on the back, the benchmark added as a bonus, the compass. So many details on a great looking geocoin. A nice peace of work that should give lots of pleasure to the ones who've got it.

And i can tell you that reading the story written by Geok, i became aware of the greatness of those mountains, visit the listings from the area, and since i can't walk in there I put the Highwood Pass as a goal for my Portuguese coin that is travelling in Canada (if someone can have Highwood Pass as a destination for my coin then ... :) ).

2972263658_50f13fd261.jpg

2971420443_6f5d06f416.jpg

Paulo aka PLnauta

Ps. This is a personal view. Although i really like the idea of the academy awards (please keep that discussion on a different topic <_< ) i think there are enough space for individual appreciation of our geocoins. Feel free to add to this post your comments and specially your choice :)

edited to add link to my coin:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1415414

Edited by PLnauta

I whole-heartedly agree that the above coin is an exceptional personal! It's a tough choice to pick a favorite, but my personal fave this year would be Yime's version2 coin. It seems almost unfair to pick a personal from a coin designer, but this time I'll do it without reservation. Yime's designs are always great, but a few things about this particular coin really jumped out at me...

First and foremost are the importance of the imagery within. There are some amazing stories linked to the imagery, numbers, etc. and knowing those stories is to know more about the person and why this coin is exceptional as a "personal" coin. Please don't set me aflame, but I think it's actually a far better example of a personal coin than his original Yime coins simply because it says so much more about his (and his family's) story.

The second thing that really struck me is the success of overcoming a common design problem called foreshortening and creating so much depth of image in a relatively shallow setting. All around a great success and one of the few that still has me wondering "how did he do that?" over parts of it. :)

yyv2bronze.jpg

This coin is in my heart, i don't know why[maybe because i am a crowlover] but this geocoin i won't dare to set free into the world

:)

th_Crow.gif

This geocoin his place is at my dressior so i can see it every day. :)

Lorca.nl thanks for giving me this coin, that was love what you did. <_<

Edited by Geo.Error

I do not have a picture But I really like the AvroAir Watch coin perhaps someone can post a pic the lines and colors of this coin all flow together in an amazing way not to complicated to look at, it has the right mix of complexity and simplicity at the same time. it is hard to describe the feeling of just right.

I do not have a picture But I really like the AvroAir Watch coin perhaps someone can post a pic the lines and colors of this coin all flow together in an amazing way not to complicated to look at, it has the right mix of complexity and simplicity at the same time. it is hard to describe the feeling of just right.

That was my runner up choice :) Another great story telling coin with some real personal touch! :)

There are some amazing stories linked to the imagery, numbers, etc. and knowing those stories is to know more about the person and why this coin is exceptional as a "personal" coin. yyv2bronze.jpg

This Chase your dreams geocoin has a great and wonderful story ;)

th_1a6250c9.gif

That was my runner up choice :D Another great story telling coin with some real personal touch! :ph34r:

Many of us are not familliar with the sybolism and stories behind these coins, would it be appropriate to share those stories with us here?

I'd be happy to share my personal story for my personal coin, but I wouldn't want to tell someone else's story for them ;) I love finding a new personal that I admire and then talking to the owner to hear what it's all about. It's amazing how much we don't realize is behind the thought for a personal sometimes. :)

I think maybe rather than hijacking this wonderful thread I'll start a new one for that purpose. Please come over and share there!

Maybe it's a bit pompous of me but I am rather partial to my personal geocoin :( It was/is our first and so we are very, very proud of it. But I realize it may not suit everyone's taste.

copper.gif

I missed out on this coin and really like it. If you have any more and would be willing to trade or sell, please PM me. Not sure what I can offer in return, but we could talk (assuming you have any).

I'd also like to celebrate the excellence of the YemonYime coin. I have one of those and it is one of my very special treasures. I'd like to find out about its story but even if I were never to find it out, the coin would still make me happy. : )

I'd also like to celebrate the excellence of the YemonYime coin. I have one of those and it is one of my very special treasures. I'd like to find out about its story but even if I were never to find it out, the coin would still make me happy. : )

Yime is probably getting settled in his new digs in AB... He's probably shoveling the walk for the moving guys right now :) /jk

Best find out when Beer and Ribs is Yime - it's THE place to be and 'be seen' in Calgary! I hear that all the best AB coins get sneak previewed on the red carpet at Beer and Ribs :)

Edited for spelling and content... fickle creature that I am...

Edited by Landsharkz

I'm sure Yime will reply once he's settled in his new digs in AB... He's probably shoveling the walk for the moving guys right now :)

/jk

Does being an Albertain count? I've only been away for a few years now..

I'm sure the citrus groves of Alberta call to many that seek to settle here! :)

We HAVE to have geocoins - I went to grab some TB's from one of my caches last night and it would appear the snowbank is about 1.5m deep! Looks like they are in for a hibernation.

On the subject of personal geocoins (remember that!)

Is there a list of personals made? I'm wondering if each coin-maker site lists their production runs? (unless requested not to obviously).

I know that LandSharkz did the GeoKs, Tethy C's and mine.

On the subject of personal geocoins (remember that!)

Is there a list of personals made? I'm wondering if each coin-maker site lists their production runs? (unless requested not to obviously).

I know that LandSharkz did the GeoKs, Tethy C's and mine.

Thanks LFD!

We DO have a gallery of everything we have permission to post, but it's tedious to update the way it works right now and we're a few months behind :) . That task seems to frequently get put aside so we can work on new designs and production... and we've had a long wait list, for as long as the gallery is out of date! I'll see if we can find time to update it over the holidays - over a rum n' eggnog perhaps :) .

The 'tadpole379' coin is very creative and colourful...its a lovely personal too! It reminds me of a stitching sampler with all the different translucent colours (nicely spaced) and the variety of recessed art. I'm glad to see you made a black nickel version of it! We'd love to have one in our collection if there are any available for trade.

Theotokos - your personal turned out awesome. The antique copper is probably the best finish for the theme of the art - is that your thought too? I envision copper being an ancient metal from biblical times.

Theotokos - your personal turned out awesome. The antique copper is probably the best finish for the theme of the art - is that your thought too? I envision copper being an ancient metal from biblical times.

I like all the antique finishes but the antique copper works well for this coin I think. There was also 1 coin made in a shiny gold finish which I think turned out very well too.

Wow! There are some coins here I have never seen before or even heard of!

I'll have to toss a vote or two, though...

First vote goes to YemonYime. Classic, clean design -- that one is a keeper!

Honorable mentions are: Theotokos. Wow, great design! And of course, Tadpole. Love that frog!

Great job, guys! Joefrog v2 coming in 2009, I hope!