PN-40

Clan Riffster

A question for the tech types, as I am dumber than a bag of hammers:

Assume for argument sake, I want to make it possible to run Wherigo cartridges on the new Delorme PN-40, and I have unlimited resourses to make it happen. (Yeah, right! :) ) Would the software changes need to be made on the Groundspeak side to fit the unit, or would Delorme need to add software to the unit to replicate what a working unit does?

that depends :e)

unless the PN-40 runs WindowsMobile and allows users to install their own apps, it's up to Delorme to actually include the player.

As for the development itself ... -somebody- would probably need to take the player source code and adapt it to suit the unit. But there are two sides who don't want anything to do with it - Groundspeak probably has no idea how a PN-40 works, and Delorme doesn't understand the player.

so they'd probably need to closely cooperate.

Or, Delorme could try and reimplement the Player themselves (and possibly steal my code :) ), but for one, that's much harder, and for two, Groundspeak probably wouldn't allow it if they didn't want to cooperate in the first place.

but IANAL, perhaps Delorme could do it somehow without Groundspeak being able to intervene... who knows.

(and possibly steal my code ;)

Do you have a code you could sell Garmin that works?

haha ... well, yes, i do, but.

a) i can't yet guarantee that it works always for all cartridges

B) it's Java Micro Edition, so they would have to either rewrite it to C (or whatever language they use) or put a Midlet Manager on the device

c) it's GPL, so they can as well take it and use it for free (and if they want to do it, i'm definitely not going to try and stop them - as long as they honor the terms and release the sources again)

and finally d) i still can't be sure that there isn't some Groundspeak's IP involved. As in, i hold all rights to my code, so i can allow Garmin to use it under non-GPL license (effectively selling it), but then Groundspeak might come in and sue the hell out of us all.

...or not. i'm not a lawyer and i can't be sure.

so there.

why, do you think Garmin's looking for a working code to use? :e)

(and possibly steal my code :D

Do you have a code you could sell Garmin that works?

haha ... well, yes, i do, but.

a) i can't yet guarantee that it works always for all cartridges

:D it's Java Micro Edition, so they would have to either rewrite it to C (or whatever language they use) or put a Midlet Manager on the device

c) it's GPL, so they can as well take it and use it for free (and if they want to do it, i'm definitely not going to try and stop them - as long as they honor the terms and release the sources again)

and finally d) i still can't be sure that there isn't some Groundspeak's IP involved. As in, i hold all rights to my code, so i can allow Garmin to use it under non-GPL license (effectively selling it), but then Groundspeak might come in and sue the hell out of us all.

...or not. i'm not a lawyer and i can't be sure.

so there.

why, do you think Garmin's looking for a working code to use? :e)

I have no idea what Garmin is doing. I have a Garmin Colorado and kind of gave up on the wherigos. I thought Wherigo were supposed to be fun and not a pain to get through. Maybe some day they will get it working for all the cartridges?

Riffster, Bob and I caught the end of the DeLorme presentation at GW7.

Chip was asked repeatedly both at the demo and at the DeLorme booth about Wherigo. He has passed that interest along to the DeLorme developers.

I'm sure Groundspeak will be willing to help DeLorme with this.

What will happen next? >>>>probably nothing, at least for some time. ;-)

Hi the Bucket Bridgade, Re using PN-40 to a laptop.

Any GPS that can report position back to a laptop running the emulator should work. I've been amazed at the numbers of people doing Wherigo this way. Including some finds on my Wherigo cache that's over 3 miles with a bushwhack. Carrying laptop? yikes.

Any GPS that can report position back to a laptop running the emulator should work. I've been amazed at the numbers of people doing Wherigo this way. Including some finds on my Wherigo cache that's over 3 miles with a bushwhack. Carrying laptop? yikes.

I've always had a good chuckle when thinking of someone doing the exact same thing - carrying a laptop through the woods bushwhacking so they can do a Wherigo.

Thanx! I was afraid of that. I'd like to see it... someday, but I'm unwilling to hold my breath. :D

The PN-40 is such a versatile unit, as far as data storage & management go, I'd think it'd be ideally suited for the purpose.

Oh man are you so right on that. I had a decent chunk of change to spend on a newer GPS unit, and I'm glad I got the Delorme PN-40 over the Colorado 400t or Oregon. I did my research, and did some more reseach and then talked to a GPS wiz at the Outdoor world in Houston to confirm my thoughts. It turned out to be such a worthwhile unit, my mom bought one for herself the next day. I suppose Delorme could have put the Wherigo features inside it, but after such a nice proformance from the 40, I can forgive them for it.

Don't know if this belongs here or not but has anyone tried the pn-40 connected to a laptop to run a Wherigo. I know the pn-40 can tell my home computer where it's location at. Don't have a laptop to try it with.

Did you have any success with this? I'm hopefully going to be near a Wherigo in a couple of months, and would like to give it a try.