How do you say "I Found It!" while group caching?

Gipsie

Someone brought this thread to my attention. :) Like other WNY cachers above have mentioned, the term "hucklebuckle" has been around for ages before caching. It's definitely popular in the Western New York region to scream out hucklebuckle! after finding a cache, but if you did it in Ohio, Pennsylvania, other regions of the country, they would look at you like you were nuts. ;)

Huck people look at you like that right here in WNY to.

And you didn't even give GG credit for the inspiration.

Around here the accepted standard is Hucklebuckle. But you knew that.

I wanted you to join in and tell the whole story of Hucklebuckle. I was just gonna post it on your board that the thread was here, but you are WAY too quick for me and my phone kept ringing and I am moving into a new house and my kid is a PITA and....well, you know.

What is that noise? Is that violin music I hear?

What part did you want me to tell? The part about how it's from an old time kids game? Or the part about how we have a local cacher who uses it as his caching handle? I honestly don't know if the cachers started using it first for finds or the young man in question started the whole thing when he chose his geo-name. Either way I hope no one ever publishes another Huck-a-cypher.

Yo Gof! I still can't figure out what you're trying to say in that stolen geocoin thread. :)

This is confusing, is there a merged thread? I can tell you, that the first wave of cachers in our area (2002 joiners like Dru, The Moms, SF1, Brogan, etc..) were using it before I started, and I cached with most of them personally pretty early on in my career (before the end of 2003) and was introduced to it. That "retired" lad didn't come on until late 2004, and had a different username in the beginning anyways. I do know whenever someone outside of WNY hears Huckle Buckle, they usually have no clue what it means. :)

Hey Urk! We'll go slow and see if we can get you up to speed.

All I said was that a person who used to hang out in these forums has been holding one of our bugs for a long time. He/she(or it) has it in an unpublished cache so that it doesn't show on his/her profile. Other bugs and coins also "reside" in this sham cache. Enough of this, it's the wrong thread.

No merged thread, this started over at NYGO.

It never really occurred to me to wonder too much about what came first to geocaching, the hucklebuckle shout or young Mr. Buckle's handle. I wasn't surprised that he "retired" though. At that age there is no time for things like geocaching AND girls. ;)

Oh, and I don't like cyphers.

We cache as a family so for us to let everyone enjoy the find, the first person to find the cache shouts out either BINGO or KACHOW after they have walked away from the cache area. Then once everyone has had a chance to spot it and shout the word the first person shouted, the first person retrieves the cache. Helps keep the enjoyment in it for the kids.

We cache as a family so for us to let everyone enjoy the find, the first person to find the cache shouts out either BINGO or KACHOW after they have walked away from the cache area. Then once everyone has had a chance to spot it and shout the word the first person shouted, the first person retrieves the cache. Helps keep the enjoyment in it for the kids.

Same for us here except the kids decided they'd shout out, "THIS IS FUN!" ;)

We use a modified version of the HuckleBuckle. When someone finds it they walk away quietly and then they loudly proclaim Huckawwwww (kind of like a crow). Its a gas to watch the face of someone who has never cached with us when they hear that for the first time. Although it can be a little embarasing when we Huckawwww something and it turns out to be a decoy.(been there) ;)

Personally, I prefer to cache using the coffee method. Usually if we are caching under that rule set for the find, I'll step away and comment about having found the cache. Unfortunately, most of the time, when I'm out caching, I'm caching with a group which prefers the Three Musketeers method.

That said, on one occasion, I managed to get to the cache before the rest of the group (I was coming up from the bottom of the hill, the rest of the group was coming down from the top), and managed to get it open, sign the log, and return it, then resume searching. It was awesome to be able to make random comments about having found the cache and having the group frustrated at me for it.

Without reading through all the responses - Here in Edmonton we use the term "Huckle Buckle" ... not sure where it came from but very widely used in these parts.

CB

This thread may already be started somewhere on here, but I couldn't find it, so I decided to start one.

When we are out caching in a group in South Jersey, we try to let everyone find the cache before we pull it out of its hiding spot. We do it this way. When a cacher spots the cache, they walk away from where they were searching and either have a seat or just stand there (hopefully not looking in the direction of the cache) and say "Coffee". This translates to "I am going to sit here and have a cup of coffee while the rest of you poor saps look around and try to find it."

I mentioned it to a few other cachers in other areas and have found that other cachers in other areas have their own things they shout when they find a cache. So I am curious about who says what where. And I started this thread.

So the questions are:

When you are out geocaching with a group of people, what do you shout instead of "I Found It!" How did it start?

Depends on who I'm caching with.

If I'm alone, I generally don't say anything. That's because I might only *think* that I'm alone, and I don't want to be caught talking to myself (even though only moments before, I was probably cussing to myself)

With some, "What's the next one on on the list?"

With others, the good old walk away nonchalantly before saying "Its a good hide!"

Like Chad, i usually cache alone. Once in a while i get to go cache with my caching friend/partner, though hes got more finds than me, we started at the same time. if he finds the cache before me, he Hucklebuckles me, and vice versa, if i ever find the cache first. i haven't cached with a big group yet, but i have a group near me, called BACON, who wants to take me on one of their cache runs. Don't know what they do yet.............

Usually, the word "Oh".... followed by an expletive of usu. 4-letters length.

~*

We cache with another couple and that is what we say following a long, hard search for a particularly clever cache.

For normal, run-of-the-mill caches, we just step back from the cache, fold our arms, and wait to be noticed.

One time I found the cache, pulled it out, signed the log, and put it back while all the others were engrossed in searching. I was busted just as I put it back, but it would have been fun to see their expressions when they opened the cache and found the signature.

Large groups or late in a long day, "Found it" generally suffices.

"Moo"

Don't ask me why, it's just what is. :D

You'd have to ask lucyandrickie how that got started. Lately, it's mutated into "whoo" (like an owl), but I've started using "woot" like one of the early posters does. The important part appears to be the "oo" sound. :antenna:

We use Moo too, unless we're with Shaggy, Scooby, and Velma, then it's "WINNER WINNER WINNER!"

My usual is just "Got it" everyone that I am with signs and we are good to go find the next!:lol:

That's so cool ! Get real ! If you're group caching you don't say/claim/log,"I found it," unless you did. If you cache with 8-10-12-15.... other people and 1 out of the 8-10-12-15 finds the cache but all of you sign the log like you found it ......you're a cheat plain and simple. We wouldn't have a problem with army caching if the one who actually found the cache was the only one who logged it as a find. If you like caching with your friends, cool, but don't steal your friend's glory by sucking off his/her success! Let your friend log the cache and you and the rest don't log the cache, after all, isn't it all about being out with your friends?

We have cachers in our area who NEVER,EVER,EVER cache alone ! They only go out with a group. These are the cachers with 5,6,7,8,9,000 finds and most of them couldn't tell you jack about any particular hide because they never saw it !! They were there though ! Yea, "I was there." Sorry but that doesn't count.

Example: We have a cacher in our area who has something like 5,500 finds. Whenever he goes out alone he logs nothing but DNF's. There's this awesome 3 stage multi that requires reading simple instructions to get to the final and requires a minimal amount of organization skills. We found it in 40 minutes. This group cacher guy was baffled.

This guy DNF'd on it like 7 times !! Then, the 8th time he went out with the crew, I think there was 9 of them. They got to the final right? Here's the punchline, the guy in question posts his log and he goes something like this, "Well, I DNF'd on this 7 times but this time I came out with the army and we made it to the final. I have no idea how we got there, but we got there."

This is the guy that cheats off the kid next to him all year in school but when it comes to the final exam he fails miserably,doesn't know jack and doesn't graduate !

I would love to give group caching members pop quizzes on the caches they log.... Wouldn't that be funny ? Question: "Ok,so, where was this cache hidden?" Answer: "Uhhh, I don't know cuz I couldn't see over the heads of the 10 people in front of me."

Don't come back at me after you check up on us and say, "Well, you're a team of 2,that's the same as group caching." NOT !! We signed up as a team. If you sign up with 10 of your friends as, "CachingTeamof10," that's a whole different story. You created yourself as an entity. It's different.

Not to mention the terrain destruction...... OMG! We have caches along our Great Western Trail where the areas are teenie-weenie and when we read logs from the group cachers who only came out to our neck of the woods because of a food event down the road, where the logs are nothing more than an endless roster of who was there, we wanna die ! Here, imagine 10 people in your bathroom rummaging around !

It's brutal.

My usual is just "Got it" everyone that I am with signs and we are good to go find the next!:lol:

That's so cool ! Get real ! If you're group caching you don't say/claim/log,"I found it," unless you did. If you cache with 8-10-12-15.... other people and 1 out of the 8-10-12-15 finds the cache but all of you sign the log like you found it ......you're a cheat plain and simple. We wouldn't have a problem with army caching if the one who actually found the cache was the only one who logged it as a find. If you like caching with your friends, cool, but don't steal your friend's glory by sucking off his/her success! Let your friend log the cache and you and the rest don't log the cache, after all, isn't it all about being out with your friends?

We have cachers in our area who NEVER,EVER,EVER cache alone ! They only go out with a group. These are the cachers with 5,6,7,8,9,000 finds and most of them couldn't tell you jack about any particular hide because they never saw it !! They were there though ! Yea, "I was there." Sorry but that doesn't count.

Example: We have a cacher in our area who has something like 5,500 finds. Whenever he goes out alone he logs nothing but DNF's. There's this awesome 3 stage multi that requires reading simple instructions to get to the final and requires a minimal amount of organization skills. We found it in 40 minutes. This group cacher guy was baffled.

This guy DNF'd on it like 7 times !! Then, the 8th time he went out with the crew, I think there was 9 of them. They got to the final right? Here's the punchline, the guy in question posts his log and he goes something like this, "Well, I DNF'd on this 7 times but this time I came out with the army and we made it to the final. I have no idea how we got there, but we got there."

This is the guy that cheats off the kid next to him all year in school but when it comes to the final exam he fails miserably,doesn't know jack and doesn't graduate !

I would love to give group caching members pop quizzes on the caches they log.... Wouldn't that be funny ? Question: "Ok,so, where was this cache hidden?" Answer: "Uhhh, I don't know cuz I couldn't see over the heads of the 10 people in front of me."

Don't come back at me after you check up on us and say, "Well, you're a team of 2,that's the same as group caching." NOT !! We signed up as a team. If you sign up with 10 of your friends as, "CachingTeamof10," that's a whole different story. You created yourself as an entity. It's different.

Not to mention the terrain destruction...... OMG! We have caches along our Great Western Trail where the areas are teenie-weenie and when we read logs from the group cachers who only came out to our neck of the woods because of a food event down the road, where the logs are nothing more than an endless roster of who was there, we wanna die ! Here, imagine 10 people in your bathroom rummaging around !

It's brutal.

...It's a game....

...Play it however you want...

...Who is it hurting...

This is meant to be a fun thread....no chastising here please...I am sure there are other threads dedicated to just the topic you are trying to hijack this one with.

:D:D:D

TeamSeekAndWeShallFind-"That's so cool ! Get real ! If you're group caching you don't say/claim/log,"I found it," unless you did. If you cache with 8-10-12-15.... other people and 1 out of the 8-10-12-15 finds the cache but all of you sign the log like you found it ......you're a cheat plain and simple."
Does anyone else see the irony of someone whose caching name starts with "TEAM" complaining about 1 person finding a cache and others taking credit for it? :(;)

For pity sake, get a life.

Edited by rjb43nh

The other team we cache with is a single mom with two 5 year old girls. Between them and us with our 3 & 4 year old boys, grown-ups don't typically get to holler anything. Usually my 4 year old starts yelling, "MOMMY/DADDY/AUNT CONNELL CLAN FOUND THE CACHE! YEEEAAAA!!!!" To be followed shortly by the grown-ups admonishing repeatedly "It's the boys/girls turn to pick first! Back up! Give some room! Com'on guys, give some space! Hey hey hey! No shoving!" etc, etc.

Depends who found it...

If our 6 year old finds it, it's usually something like "that was too easy, MY cache is hidden way better than that". The adults use "Banana".

Why? Because it sounds cool. And I loathe them.

Occasionally though, I wont be able to control myself and will let go with an "i told you so" or "if that's a regular i'll eat my shorts"

When caching in a group I typically stop looking, turn about and say, 'OK I know where it is.' If others want to know then I'll point it out, otherwise I let them keep looking. Particularly if little kids are in the group, they really love to find it so I coach them to look closer to where it is without letting on.