Is this any good for paperless caching

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...mp;source=1#Faq

I am thinking of getting something with a slightly larger screen than my treo 650 and saw this online, would it be able to use gsak/cachemate etc? I run win xp at home so would both machines work together?

It doesn't appear so. GSAK is a windows only application and CacheMate runs on Palm, Windows Smartphone or Pocket PC. This device has a non-removable and non-upgradeable Linux system.

There is an awful lot they don't tell you about the unit -- something smells fishy.

*IF* the Linux kernel was compiled to support a USB GPS module *AND* you can install other applications, you *SHOULD* be able to run WINE, which allows you to run Windows applications. The fact that Linux is pre-loaded on a chip and you don't have a way to upgrade or replace it is pretty problematic.

You would also have to install a mapping program, such as GPSDrive, and download the appropriate maps for your area in order to have something similar to a GPSr. A Linux geek could probably do it, but someone with only Windows experience would probably go nuts rather quickly.

In reality, I would find one of the other brands of mini laptops that has XP loaded on it and go that route. I've heard the Asus eePC models in Europe have the touch-screen, which would be cool.