Walk magazine wants your views on geocaching

avaughan

Hi UK cachers,

I'm a freelance journalist (http://adamvaughan.name) writing an article on geocaching for the magazine of the Ramblers Association, Walk (http://www.walkmag.co.uk/).

I'd love to feature some of this forum's users in the article, so if you have a minute, please reply on this thread or via email (adam@vaughanweb.com) to the questions below.

By way of thanks, I'll credit any quotes I use in the article, using your real-name (if you supply it) and your geocaching handle/name.

* What's the appeal of geocaching for you?

* How did you originally discover it and take it up as a hobby?

* What trends have you seen over the last two years? e.g. use of iPhones, caches becoming harder to find, more caches appearing, the social scene

* What are your favourite caches in the UK, in both rural and urban locations?

* Do you think the democratisation and mainstreaming of geocaching is a good or bad thing? What's the effect of more people taking part?

The feature is published in the new year, but any replies this week (17-21 Dec) are the most likely to be included.

Many thanks in advance.

Adam

Email sent but a thought occurs...

Where are you in the country? I'm sure someone local to you would be delighted to accompany you to experience geocaching first hand.

Many thanks for the speedy reply Ian! Got your email.

I'm based in Herne Hill, London. I've got a really tight deadline on this, so will probably be trying geocaching first-hand in the wilds of south London using my wife's iPhone 3G.

All the family can (and does) do it. There are no generational barriers. By and large geocaches are placed with care to take you to places that you might not visit or know about. The grading system helps one assess the likelihood of being capable enough to complete the cache. But best of all it gets everyone out of the house!

A true geek showed us.

* What trends have you seen over the last two years? e.g. use of iPhones, caches becoming harder to find, more caches appearing, the social scene

My missus how has the best GPS in the family, followed by my daughter and lastly me. We're still 'old style' but the most useful recent function has been the ability to upload data directly from the webpage into the Garmin. That has eliminated a lot of keying errors. Seldom do we now visit the wrong county.

GCZ5Y9 and GCZ5Z0 - both are part of a brilliant walk on the North Downs. Because of the 'puzzles' involved (no hints) this short amble often takes less than three hours despite being only 3 miles and the views are a cracker as well.

In town: well providing we're not dealing with city micros. well then GCQTP6 Multi-cache Heart of Paris is excellent.

* Do you think the democratisation and mainstreaming of geocaching is a good or bad thing? What's the effect of more people taking part?

What democracy??

All the family can (and does) do it. There are no generational barriers. By and large geocaches are placed with care to take you to places that you might not visit or know about. The grading system helps one assess the likelihood of being capable enough to complete the cache. But best of all it gets everyone out of the house!

A true geek showed us.

My missus how has the best GPS in the family, followed by my daughter and lastly me. We're still 'old style' but the most useful recent function has been the ability to upload data directly from the webpage into the Garmin. That has eliminated a lot of keying errors. Seldom do we now visit the wrong county.

GCZ5Y9 and GCZ5Z0 - both are part of a brilliant walk on the North Downs. Because of the 'puzzles' involved (no hints) this short amble often takes less than three hours despite being only 3 miles and the views are a cracker as well.

In town: well providing we're not dealing with city micros. well then GCQTP6 Multi-cache Heart of Paris is excellent.

What democracy??

Thanks Kewfriend, much appreciated ;)

The thrill of the hunt. the excitement of the race to First to Find. Meeting new people. But most importantly, being taken to intereting and unusual places that the cache owner knows about. This could be a stunning view, a great walk, or a fascinating hidden corner of a big city!

Sister-in-Law was introduced to it, and suggested we might like to give it a try. That was 3.5 years ago!

More techology, be it iPhones, PDAs, better GPSs.

Certain types of caches have been restricted (namely virtuals) but there has been more innovation in cache hides, with unusal containers and odd puzzles!

A HUGE growth in the sheer numbers. About 12,000 when I started, about 36,000 in UK now.

many favourites - I'll have to look, especially for rurals. However, a cache called Alpha Quest U near Oxford is memorable, and also St Alphages in central London. both are unfortunately now archived.

generally a good thing. the big landowners should be more amenable, and with more people taking part, there are more caches to find in more places (especially overseas). On the minus side, and possibly the two are linked, there is more 'control' over caching by listing site, possibly due to 'issues' now that it is more mainstream. there seems to be more regulation, and that isn't always a good thing.

The feature is published in the new year, but any replies this week (17-21 Dec) are the most likely to be included.

Many thanks in advance.

Adam

finally, I'm based in Reigate, and work in Westminster, so if you do want to go caching with an experienced cacher (can I call myself that yet?!) then drop me a line through my profile. I don't know what your deadline is though, and we have got Xmas to organise soon...

THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who has sent me a message, I've been overwhelmed and very touched by the enthusiasm of the response.

I now have enough responses for the article, which I'll be filing shortly with the Ramblers. I'm afraid I won't have room or time to mention any further messages.

The feature is due to be published in the new year in Walk Magazine. I'll let you know the exact date when I do!

Thanks again,

Adam

THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who has sent me a message, I've been overwhelmed and very touched by the enthusiasm of the response.

I now have enough responses for the article, which I'll be filing shortly with the Ramblers. I'm afraid I won't have room or time to mention any further messages.

The feature is due to be published in the new year in Walk Magazine. I'll let you know the exact date when I do!

Thanks again,

Adam

Oh, so I'm too late to dish the real dirt.

Too late to be of use to Adam or to make myself famous in the mag but I just wanted to say that I actually started geocaching through the Ramblers.

I go out on regular walks with them every week and I noticed that one of the members often disappeared from the group. I just assumed he had a weak bladder <_< but then he explained that he was geocaching. I already had a GPSr (had one for years) so it took very little effort to get me hooked...