CACHE SIZES

Dogboy_56

i beleive that the micro cache is depended on too heavily. In my area (illawarra, nsw, australia). For instance-

if your hiding one in rocks...at a deserted beach, that no-one goes to,

what do u hide?

a perfectly good medium, that could be easily hidden,.....or a dodgy micro that can be hidden anywhere

I feel that a micro should be for urban caches in high muggle areas....not deserted areas

what do other people think about it, and what happens in their area? wink.gif

Family quick reply:

If I cached more than 50% of the time during warm weather by myself, I honestly wouldn't give a crap about micros.

Personal quick reply:

If I didn't cache during the winter, I honestly wouldn't give a crap about micros.

~~~~~~~~

I completely understand the "Micro in the Woods" mentality, I don't necessarily condone it but I do understand.

They can be put together quickly.

You can carry 2 or more in a tee shirt breast pocket.

A well prepared mic is extremely low maintenance.

So Joe Blow goes for a hike in the wilds and think he found a great spot...

All around the mulberry bush the Cacher checks his co'ords.

The Cacher thinks it's all in fun.

PLOP goes the micro.

what do u hide?

I'd probably go with an ammo box in a place like that.

what do other people think about it, and what happens in their area?

So far we've avoided the micro plague in northern NJ. Last time I looked micros were only 14 percent

of the nearest 500 caches to my zipcode. Though there are a few newbies who seem dead set on

increasing that percentage.

As far as I've gathered, a popular philosophy goes as follows:

Don't hide a micro where you can hide a regular.

Don't hide a regular where you can hide a large.

If you hide a micro where you can hide a regular, make it a challenging one that's a bit unique that couldn't possibly be done with a regular.

Don't hunt sizes you don't like.

Walk softly and carry a big pile of sticks.

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

Yes, I have been noticing more micros placed in locations where in the past I believe people would have been more likely to place a regular. I feel this is because as people see more and more micros, they realize how much cheaper and easier it is to throw one down. This trend will continue, until eventually, MICROS TAKE OVER THE ENTIRE WORLD! MOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'd probably hide an ammo can. The plastic type containers could get cracked if someone accidentally drops a rock on it. To make the hide more challenging, you could cammo paint the ammo can shades of gray/white/green to make it look like the surrounding area.

We've seen some cammo'd ammo cans that are extremely challenging to find because they blend in so well.

An ammo can for that kind of spot or a larger lock-n-lock with area appropriate camo paint job.

I've long believed in trying to hide larger caches in areas that can easily support them.

This area has about 31% micros - actually down a bit from the last time I looked thanks to 2 new hiders using mostly ammocans around here.

I think that if you don't like micros then you should avoid looking for micros.

'Problem' solved.

Someone didn't read the OP.
It must be you, since I was responding to the OP. ;)

I think he asked what you would hide among rocks on a deserted beach and what others do in your area.

He also stated his feelings about micros in certain areas and seemed to be perfectly fine with micros in other areas.

I don't recall him asking for advice on how to avoid micros. I'll have to read it again.

Edited by briansnat

I enjoy the hunt as well as the challenge of micros, however after hiking for 14 miles only to find a film cannister hanging from a tree right out in the open, We get a little irratated. It seems that they just wasted 500ft of potential hiding real estate. We have actually hidden an "anti micro", that is a full size container filled with film cannisters free for the taking. ;)

'Problem' solved.

It must be you, since I was responding to the OP. ;)

I think he asked what you would hide among rocks on a deserted beach and and what others do in your area.

He also state his feelings about micros in certain areas and seemed to be perfectly fine with micros in other kids of areas.

I don't recall him asking for advice on how to avoid micros. I'll have to read it again.

Are you still on this? Don't you have anything better to do? Did someone appoint you to moderate the general forum today?

Back to my post:

'Problem' solved.

In other words, micros exist in all areas. Sometimes, they are placed in locations where you would rather not search for a micro. If you don't wish to find micros in certain areas, don't look for them there. The fact that they exist and that people happily find them shows that other people do not have a problem with micros in these areas.

I enjoy the hunt as well as the challenge of micros, however after hiking for 14 miles only to find a film cannister hanging from a tree right out in the open, We get a little irratated. It seems that they just wasted 500ft of potential hiding real estate. We have actually hidden an "anti micro", that is a full size container filled with film cannisters free for the taking. ;)

Did the cache page accurately show the cache size to be 'micro'?

Edited by sbell111
*SNIP*

Back to my post:

'Problem' solved.

In other words, micros exist in all areas. Sometimes, they are placed in locations where you would rather not search for a micro. If you don't wish to find micros in certain areas, don't look for them there. The fact that they exist and that people happily find them shows that other people do not have a problem with micros in these areas.
None of this addresses the OP's question, highlighted in red:

what do u hide?

Personally, I'd try to hide the largest size cache I had access to that would be concealable in that particular location.

...what do other people think about it, and what happens in their area? wink.gif

I see few locations that have micro's that couldn't have used a larger container and had the same exact caching experience. So I have no use whatsoever for the vast majority of micro's. They give the select few micros that are the right cache in the right place a bad name.

Locally it seems that cachers all arrived at this same conclusation and now it's hard to find a micro. They have figured out that they can (and do) place a larger container. Caching locally has gotten better. Enough to where travelers who swing through and cache have commented on it.

I am “guilty” of hiding lots of micros. Some folks have chastised me for it. My micros are usually pill bottles—yes, they are free and that helps since I have nearly 300 hides. Here is my reasoning. When I started hiding, I used a variety of sizes for my containers and the contents have deteriorated over time. My only monster cache sits in my front yard and remains well stocked because I keep it that way. Most cachers in this area seem to be interested in the hunt and signing the log, not in trading. Eventually I decided to limit my hides to unusual containers (camouflaged, etc) and interesting places (ghost towns, old cemeteries, historic places, etc). I may even hide a few caches along the road to out of the way “interesting” places to induce cachers to go to the spot and these may be more pill bottles that will get you the extra smileys you desire as you seek out the final cache. Thus, the container became either the reason for the hide or secondary to the location for the hide. If it is secondary to the location, then a pill bottle with only room for a log seemed appropriate. Many of my caches are miles from home and maintenance can be an issue. Smaller caches tend to go missing less often than larger ones at the distant places I have hidden caches. If I have to replace a large container with another large container repeatedly, the expense would cause me to place less and archive more. Most area cachers have come to realize that if one of my caches is one for a historical site, they will be looking for a pill bottle and think accordingly when searching. None local cachers, obviously, will have to simply use their powers of reasoning as to where the cache is located and what it might be.

I personally think that nano's are getting out of hand. How many of you think that some cachers place them only for the satisfaction of placing a cache and then "forgetting" about them? Think about it, they rarely need to perform maintenance (if they ever do). The other week I went to a fantastic location of a new cache. It was a Civil War gravesite of a Confederate soilder that was remote. It had so many incredible locations to hide a large cache container and what do you think was placed? A tiny magnetic micro was hidden on part of the wrought iron fence surrounding the gravesite.....and you needed a tweezers....of course!

I have been placing tupperware size containers whenever possible (and it has been difficult to find good hiding places that are muggle free) and you would be surprised at how many compliments I have received from cachers who now have large caches to place TB's or trade items instead of having to hike two miles into the mountains or drive 20 miles.

I agree with a previous post, place appropriate size containers whenever possible. If you don't want the maintenance issue, then don't place caches. I keep a supply of swag to fill my caches when I perform maintenance on them. You can find lots of inexpensive stuff in dollar stores or department stores when they have clearance after many holidays. I know the "adults" aren't that interested in the swag but I do it for the kids and those of us that are young at heart!

'Problem' solved.

as far as that goes, i have all this brain damage and often by the time i get halfway down the page i forget what the OP was.

Who am I... where am I...

I haven't hid any yet but if I did I would probably do something larger because I like to trade things and also because a lot of people in my area are fellow suburbanites and cache with their kids. Even if they just want to sign the log, kids love treasure.

But I don't mind microcaches. I'm ambivalent toward them. I don't get super excited when I find one, unless it was cleverly hidden but I'm not bothered when another one goes up in the area.

S'all cool. It's your game, seek what you want, hide what you want.

I've recently archived all of my micro caches, as I have decided that I will no longer hide any cache that I, myself, would not want to find. Kind of a "Do unto others..." sort of thing. I'd call it a new years resolution, but I actually archived them over a month ago. That leaves me only 2 hides left, but I think they are the best two caches I've placed.

what do u hide?

Here's my philosophy: I hide a regular and as the situation warrants I move out from there.

• I'll hide a large cache if I want the increased capacity for swag or because the swag items are larger.
  • I'll move smaller in scale if I simply can't hide a larger cache.

One will note that we have one cache listed as a micro. It's been archived as I converted it to a pure letterbox. The hide size was dictated by the place in which is was hidden--the hole would not allow anything larger to fit. The micro size designation was used because it was before "small" came around.

Otherwise, I've not found a place that dictated that I had to use a micro.

I have come across some fantastic hides that were micros and nothing larger would work. These hides create the reason for the size. IMHO, 9 out of 10 micros do not belong in this group.

I'll normally hide the largest cache an area will support, usually starting with an ammo can or at the smallest, a decon container. If muggling becomes a problem, then I'll downsize one size or move the cache a bit. Since most of my caches are off the main driven path, I'll provide a clue as well because the location was primary and the cache was secondary in my mind and I want visitors to enjoy what the area has to offer rather than experiencing a frustrating hunt.

The few caches I've placed in an urban setting have out of necessity been either small or micro in size, with an eye toward placing the small container prior to dropping in a micro. Afterall, it's relatively easy to hide a nano that won't be muggled, but a real challenge to hide something bigger and I like the challenge of that sort.

This approach seems to be working...with 85 physical hides placed since we started playing the game, 83 are still up and running. The two caches we archived were killed off for reasons other than repeated muggling.

Edited by Ladybug Kids
what do u hide?
Whatever I feel like.

and today it is not your feelings aye? haha smile, relax, have a nice day - go on nice cache hunt!

Huh?

Just go out on a nice cache hunt, and roll with it. Not like the Buffalo Bills are going to win or anything.

come on people, try to be nice