Hazardous Geocoins?

Star*Hopper

Was just watching a news segment about most of the parts/products with vinyl coming from China containing a hazardous (lead-based) 'stabilizer'. Much was made of the many recent experiences with health-hazards from that country.

Got me to wondering.... Given their rep for using lead-containing paints, has anyone bothered to have the Geocoins that are made there, analyzed? Or (remembering the loads of kids' jewelry that was recalled), the alloy makeup, for that matter??

~*

It is known that a number of the coins contain lead (specifically some of the hard enamels). Not much we can do about it I guess, unless we all want to pay $20 a coin. Cheaper and easier to just not put any geocoins in our mouths IMHO <_<

Just an edit to add that most plated coins are plated over bronze. Bronze is an alloy metal that (unless its an alloy meant for machining rather than die-pressing) contains lead to soften it up. Thats the way it is here in the states too, just the nature of that particular metal.

Edited by scavok

I would be careful with geocoins and not consider them kid-friendly. They are also not edible (okay - "mostly" not edible).

I'm actually ignorant on the effects of lead - however, I am assuming you would need to ingest or touch the products containing the lead in order to be harmed. If I keep the coin in their flips and/or don't over-handle them - then I assume I am safe.

Hopefully, I haven't caused a poisonous, invisible cloud in my office that is slowly killing me! (from the coins - I have many other dangers in my evil lair that are probably doing me in as I type this....)

You mean there not a good source of Iron? I think the minute amount you may be exposed to would not harm anything. if you that worried get some Caching gloves, wash your hands on site with sanitizer or what not.

We found a micro inside of drain cleanout, Not a dummy but the real cleanout from a TOY's R Us when I hit the car Imidiatly got the sanitizer. But we got the cache. I don't want my Hobby/game or whatever to make me or my family sick if in dought throw it out ( or just don't touch it.) Pretty easy.

Edited by Tahoein' Bunch

Hopefully, I haven't caused a poisonous, invisible cloud in my office that is slowly killing me!

hehehehehehehee!!! Sorry, my second grade humor is breaking through...

You're not the only one who snickered at that comment ;)

Back on topic, our Sundial Geocoin even came with a little hazardous warning label. Not for lead, but because of the hinged style that stands up, creating not only a functional sundial, but also the possiblilty of impalement. I can almost hear my mother saying "careful before you poke someone's eye out with that thing". We left the little warning sticker on the coin when we released it, for legal reasons, and for the humour.

Hopefully, I haven't caused a poisonous, invisible cloud in my office that is slowly killing me! (from the coins - I have many other dangers in my evil lair that are probably doing me in as I type this....)

Only if you're smoking them... :D

oh-oh..... :D it's been nice knowing everyone.....

You mean that you found a way to smoke them ;) OR is it that you have too many and there togetherness is forming that invisible cloud :P:huh:

I would be careful with geocoins and not consider them kid-friendly. They are also not edible (okay - "mostly" not edible)..

I have the answer for everyone concerned about lead in their coins send them to me I will make sure they are disposed of properly ;)

It is known that a number of the coins contain lead (specifically some of the hard enamels). Not much we can do about it I guess, unless we all want to pay $20 a coin. Cheaper and easier to just not put any geocoins in our mouths IMHO ;)

Just an edit to add that most plated coins are plated over bronze. Bronze is an alloy metal that (unless its an alloy meant for machining rather than die-pressing) contains lead to soften it up. Thats the way it is here in the states too, just the nature of that particular metal.

The assay for the commercial bronze (also known as brass) alloy used by the Alaska Mint for the GeocacheAlaska! coins is 85% copper, 15% zinc. All Alaska Mint coins are solid metal...no plating (except for the gold relief). Edited by Ladybug Kids

Very similar thread.....

Lead in Geocoins

Good discussion - wasn't aware of that thread. Thanx Chevy!

I'm kinda hazed on some pretty good pain drugs (legal of course)....and for some reason I was under impression you could ingest lead contaminant by handling, ie, absorbed thru skin....ergo, you don't necessarily have to 'put it in your mouth.' I think now I might've been thinking of mercury.

The good, informative link to the 'Protect Your Family From Lead...' & thanx for that Eartha....got me back up to speed on effects & ingestion.

Also -- got a pretty good guffaw from the 'poisonous cloud' comment too! Thanx for that. :D

Now if I can just figure out what the '3 Stance Dance' is.....& should I do one...........................

Hmmmm.....about time for another Hydrocodone! Bye bye, for a while!! ;)

"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

~*