GPSMan and Ubuntu linux

frefel

Does anyone have any experience with GPSMan? I think it is a relatively new open source app that looks like a winner for Linux users. The interface is GUI and the instructions seemingly clear but I just can´t get ti to recognize my 2 GPSrs, one a serial eTrex Venture and the other a usb eTrex Vista C. I am using the default settings, including those for the location of the ports since I don´t know anything to do differently, but here gpsman is mention of successful use with Garmin units in Ubuntu.

I want do badly to be able to use this program so I can begin to do something useful with Linux and geocaching.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have any experience with GPSMan? I think it is a relatively new open source app that looks like a winner for Linux users. The interface is GUI and the instructions seemingly clear but I just can´t get ti to recognize my 2 GPSrs, one a serial eTrex Venture and the other a usb eTrex Vista C. I am using the default settings, including those for the location of the ports since I don´t know anything to do differently, but here gpsman is mention of successful use with Garmin units in Ubuntu.

I want do badly to be able to use this program so I can begin to do something useful with Linux and geocaching.

Thanks in advance.

As root or "sudo" load module garmin_gps:

"sudo modprobe garmin_gps"

now connect the usb cable to your Garmin and the computer. Turn the Garmin on.

Now at the command line:

"dmesg"

The last part should show something like:

usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 10

usb 5-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

garmin_gps 5-1:1.0: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter detected

usb 5-1: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Now start gpsman, go to "Options", select the GPS Model to Garmin, select the Receiver Parameters / Default Protocol to Garmin USB, and in the Serial Port and Files, set Serial Port to /dev/ttyUSB0 (..or what your ttyUSB showed).

Exit gpsman again, start gpsman, go to menu GPS Receiver and press check, hopefully working now :laughing:

Brgds Harry

Edited by harry.mj

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like good advice in the above reply, but I have another program you should try that I found today, it is called QLandkarte and is available in Synaptic package manager, I had to run it with sudo to get it working, but it seems to work fairly well, though I have only used it for a few minutes. My setup is a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX on Ubuntu Intrepid.

For the program I mentioned above, QLandkarte, I believe it can us Google maps, though I haven't used it yet. The problem with using maps is that they are usually proprietary, and most open source maps that I have seen are not very detailed, or are very old. If any one else has more info I would be interested also.

Does anyone have any experience with GPSMan? I think it is a relatively new open source app that looks like a winner for Linux

As root or "sudo" load module garmin_gps:

"sudo modprobe garmin_gps"

now connect the usb cable to your Garmin and the computer. Turn the Garmin on.

Now at the command line:

"dmesg"

The last part should show something like:

usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 10

usb 5-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

garmin_gps 5-1:1.0: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter detected

usb 5-1: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Now start gpsman, go to "Options", select the GPS Model to Garmin, select the Receiver Parameters / Default Protocol to Garmin USB, and in the Serial Port and Files, set Serial Port to /dev/ttyUSB0 (..or what your ttyUSB showed).

Exit gpsman again, start gpsman, go to menu GPS Receiver and press check, hopefully working now :D

Brgds Harry

Here is what I get after dmseg:

[ 2330.094740] garmin_gps 1-1.4:1.0: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter detected

[ 2330.095120] usb 1-1.4: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter now attached to ttyUSB0

So it looks like I´m connected to the eTrex alright.

I assume the USB0 is a zero and not a small letter O. It also seems strange to be entering USB data (dev/ttyUSB0) in a Serial box.

I select the USB protocol > exit > restart GPSMan > Message/GPSManager - cannot open serial port dev/ttyUSB0.

Foiled again.

I take that back! I just realized I had typed ¨dev/ttyUSB0¨ instead of ¨/dev/ttyUSB0¨.

It´s working! Whee!!

And thanks to Harry.mj

Edited by frefel

Maybe I´m being greedy but now I´d like GPSMan to also see my serial eTrex Venture.

Here is what I get with ¨dmesg¨:

2301.061001] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial

[ 2301.061625] /build/buildd/linux-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic

[ 2301.062084] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

[ 2301.062093] /build/buildd/linux-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core

[ 2301.113790] /build/buildd/linux-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Garmin GPS usb/tty

[ 2301.113908] usbcore: registered new interface driver garmin_gps

[ 2301.113916] /build/buildd/linux-2.6.24/drivers/usb/serial/garmin_gps.c: garmin gps driver v0.31

[ 2330.051630] usb 1-1.4: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5

[ 2330.085557] usb 1-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

[ 2330.094740] garmin_gps 1-1.4:1.0: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter detected

[ 2330.095120] usb 1-1.4: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter now attached to ttyUSB0

[ 3799.794064] usb 1-1.4: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5

[ 4712.860833] usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, address 5

[ 4712.861593] garmin_gps ttyUSB0: Garmin GPS usb/tty converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0

[ 4712.861626] garmin_gps 1-1.4:1.0: device disconnected

[ 4718.276613] usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, address 4

[ 5341.331214] process `skype' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT

fred@fred-laptop:~$

It looks like it saw the serial connection, opened it but then disconnected. I have no idea why.

Thanks in advance.