Passing of Fellow Geocachers... How to Honor?

infiniteMPG

We returned from CacheApalooza 3 here in Florida only to find an email that a member of our close geocaching family, Jimear1e, had passed away due to cancer. A close friend of his set up a dedication thread page HERE We also took a cache he asked us to adopt when he was starting to head down that sad road, and made it in dedication to him. But we were wondering what ways other cachers have honored fallen fellow cachers and how it has worked out. There are some caches which are based in honor of people such as In Memory of Roger which has become almost a shrine.

Just still feel it necessary to honor Jim's passing and place something in some way to have his memories live on with the geocaching community.

We returned from CacheApalooza 3 here in Florida only to find an email that a member of our close geocaching family, Jimear1e, had passed away due to cancer. A close friend of his set up a dedication thread page HERE We also took a cache he asked us to adopt when he was starting to head down that sad road, and made it in dedication to him. But we were wondering what ways other cachers have honored fallen fellow cachers and how it has worked out. There are some caches which are based in honor of people such as In Memory of Roger which has become almost a shrine.

Just still feel it necessary to honor Jim's passing and place something in some way to have his memories live on with the geocaching community.

When my caching partner and best friend Tod died in a motorcycle accident, I started an effort to raise bike awareness called Todie's Wild Ride. This effort was to spread bike awareness through the release of geocoins, we've released well over 300 (closer to 400 after adding in all the TBs and non-race coins involoved) coins which are part of a race which will end on Tod's B-day next year!

There's a thread called Todie's Wild Ride in the coin section if anyone is interested in seeing more about it!

Oh, and truly sorry to hear about your loss, my friend!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

1. There have been events to honor fallen cachers.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc18h6n

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc10w93

2. I've created a couple accounts on geocaching.com and pathtags.com for fallen cachers. I plan on making an honorary pathtag for them along the lines of a pathtag I received in memory of a fallen cacher from Maine.

http://pathtags.com/community/publicpathta...ile.php?id=6369

The usernames of the two I'm working on are:

Toms Friends Forever

and

Land Rockets Friends

Edited by trainlove

When a local cacher was killed in a car accident, a friend started a forum thread where his friends posted stories and memories.

At the visitation, someone had printed off the thread so that we could each sign it for the family.

It was a very touching tribute.

Since then, there has been several tribute caches. And a group donated a park bench in a conservation area.

When a local cacher was killed in a car accident, a friend started a forum thread where his friends posted stories and memories.

At the visitation, someone had printed off the thread so that we could each sign it for the family.

It was a very touching tribute.

Since then, there has been several tribute caches. And a group donated a park bench in a conservation area.

A memorial geocoin was also created.

When a long time West Michigan cacher passed away earlier this year our local geocaching community got together to plant a tree in a local park and place a cache there - Memorial Tree for Carl.

Great hide - I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that the cache is hidden in the back of the memorial plaque.

A couple of years ago we lost another long time cacher who was near and dear to us. Our state geocaching organization, MiGO, got together and created a scholarship fund - The Susan Kay Schug Educational Scholarship. Each year a $500 scholarship is awarded to a student studying for a degree related to outdoor recreation.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Language nit-pick:

Please use the proper metaphor.

It's either "passing away," or "passing on," not just "passing."

When I read the subject, I thought it was about how geocachers should greet each other of they happened to pass by each other on the trail...

Edited by Mesa Mike

I'm sorry for your loss. <_<

I helped a geocoin travel around a while back and it was a beautiful coin in rememberance of a cacher who had passed. A photo of her playing the violin was embedded on one side and the other side had her geocache name and some cool artwork. I thought it was a really sweet way to remember her, that way she was still in the game in spirit and is still traveling cache to cache.

I know minting coins is EXPENSIVE but maybe you could take up a collection from the cachers who knew your friend and try to get some minted as a group?

Language nit-pick:

When I read the subject, I thought it was about how geocachers should greet each other of they happened to pass by each other on the trail...

"Passing of" is what the OP used, and it is a perfectly proper way to phrase it. Maybe its said locally differently where you are, but here in Ohio using that phrase is very common and I suspect Ohio isn't the only place where the phrase is used that way.

Let's not get picky over someones language. You might have gotten the wrong idea from the title, but that isn't such a serious problem considering how the post made it clear if anyone was confused. They're hurting enough over the loss of a friend and don't need a grammar lesson at this time of sadness.

Language nit-pick:

"Passing of" is what the OP used, and it is a perfectly proper way to phrase it. Maybe its said locally differently where you are, but here in Ohio using that phrase is very common and I suspect Ohio isn't the only place where the phrase is used that way.

Let's not get picky over someones language. You might have gotten the wrong idea from the title, but that isn't such a serious problem considering how the post made it clear if anyone was confused. They're hurting enough over the loss of a friend and don't need a grammar lesson at this time of sadness.

X2 and Ditto. <_<

I found Sherri's Cache this spring. Great location, especially for a memorial cache.

Language nit-pick:

Language nit-pick: it's a euphemism, not a metaphor.

And "to pass" is correct anyway.

I'm not sure what you all think of this (I think it would be cool), but I told my wife that when I pass, I want her to have the coordinates of my gravesite engraved on my headstone.

Morbid, or cool?

I like the idea...

Chapskis1

OK...and how will this honor you? Unless you also publish those coords, how will they help others find and honor you?? Not trying to kick you on your thought, just wondering (and maybe letting you know you might want to go a bit further, like placing a cache at your grave??)!