Oregon 12 volt adapter

conkme

Just wondering if any Oregon owner have tried using a generic 12 volt(cigarette adapter) with usb out to power your Oregon. I know Garmin makes an auto adapter, but it is pricey & many people have these cigarette to usb adapters--I have one for the pda, one for a cell phone, and one for a bluetooth device. All have usb out on them. Still, I don't want to create a $500 cloud of smoke.

Conkme

When I plugged in my Oregon 400T with the Garmin power cord (the 12V car cord) the unit thought it was being plugged into a computer and switched to PC interface mode. I don't know how to set it so I can run the GPS off the car, and frankly, since I am using rechargeable NiMh batteries, I just set the Backlight to "stays on" and let it run. When the batteries die, I put the fresh ones in. Considering how often I take the GPS out of the cradle, I like this option a lot better than plugging the cable back into the GPS every time I return to the car. I do wish I could get it to use the power cable on those longer road trips, but until I do, this works fine.

When I plugged in my Oregon 400T with the Garmin power cord (the 12V car cord) the unit thought it was being plugged into a computer and switched to PC interface mode. I don't know how to set it so I can run the GPS off the car, and frankly, since I am using rechargeable NiMh batteries, I just set the Backlight to "stays on" and let it run. When the batteries die, I put the fresh ones in. Considering how often I take the GPS out of the cradle, I like this option a lot better than plugging the cable back into the GPS every time I return to the car. I do wish I could get it to use the power cable on those longer road trips, but until I do, this works fine.

Switch to spanner mode and it should work.

Switch to spanner mode and it should work.

Bingo! Thanks! That will save me having to change out the rechargeables quite so often..and probably make them last longer.

I heard you can load the Custom POIs in the Oregon, like you can with the CSx. Anyone know how this is done? The only macro I have found for GSAK so far just loads them in as geocaches, but I think it's limited to 2000.

....I heard you can load the Custom POIs in the Oregon, like you can with the CSx. Anyone know how this is done? The only macro I have found for GSAK so far just loads them in as geocaches, but I think it's limited to 2000.

Yes - via the same GSAK macros as for the Nuvi line - see the thread in this forum about paperless for the Nuvi's.

Just wondering if any Oregon owner have tried using a generic 12 volt(cigarette adapter) with usb out to power your Oregon. I know Garmin makes an auto adapter, but it is pricey & many people have these cigarette to usb adapters--I have one for the pda, one for a cell phone, and one for a bluetooth device. All have usb out on them. Still, I don't want to create a $500 cloud of smoke.

Conkme

I am using a car adapter that came from a Motorola blue tooth charger and it works fine. I hadn't got the auto kit and figured if it blew up I'd take it back to the store and play dumb, but it works great and the other bonus is it is a nice coiled cord vs Garmin's straight cord. I've also heard that Garmin's 90 degree plug makes it difficult to use with the Oregon, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure.