Getting more enjoyment out of your collection

Lemon Fresh Dog

I thought it might be nice to share some ideas on how to enjoy your coins. Then we can all steal from each other.

Here are some of mine:

1) History. I've been trying to keep a little better history on each coin I have. What this means is that I am creating small index cards for each coin that explains how it came to be in my possession: gift, trade, purchase. Maybe with any "extra" information as well (for example, I have a "Screw" geocoin, it was a purchase, the origin of this coin comes from the time when there wasn't a separate geocoin forum and a poster in the "regular" forums got fed-up with all the geocoin talk. This poster created a topic called "Screw Geocoins - go caching!" and someone made a Screw geocoin! (there are a lot of coins in the early days that have funny stories)

2) Display. Here's what I am thinking of doing. Haven't done it yet, so I am looking for anyone that may have been down this path. I want to create small "groupings" of similar coins (personals, CITO, etc). I thought of taking two picture frames, some quality foam and then cutting the shape of each coin out of the foam, and "sandwhiching" them together - sort of a very shallow shadow-box there both sides can be viewed. Ideas?

3) Sharing. Once I have more of an ability to display coins then bringing various themes to events would be fun (the entire collection is just too much to bring to every event!)

4) Activation. This is something I just started and wish I had done all along (it's sort of like #1). I am asking people that have personal trackables to activate them and set their mission to be in my collection. (I do the same with mine). This way, I know I recieved the coin directly from the individul and it's a little for fun for me (and enjoyable).

Other than that, I like to dive through my coins like a porpoise, throw them into the air and let them land on my head.... (anyone who gets that refernce is extra cool!)

I thought it might be nice to share some ideas on how to enjoy your coins. Then we can all steal from each other.

Here are some of mine:

1) History. I've been trying to keep a little better history on each coin I have. What this means is that I am creating small index cards for each coin that explains how it came to be in my possession: gift, trade, purchase. Maybe with any "extra" information as well (for example, I have a "Screw" geocoin, it was a purchase, the origin of this coin comes from the time when there wasn't a separate geocoin forum and a poster in the "regular" forums got fed-up with all the geocoin talk. This poster created a topic called "Screw Geocoins - go caching!" and someone made a Screw geocoin! (there are a lot of coins in the early days that have funny stories)

2) Display. Here's what I am thinking of doing. Haven't done it yet, so I am looking for anyone that may have been down this path. I want to create small "groupings" of similar coins (personals, CITO, etc). I thought of taking two picture frames, some quality foam and then cutting the shape of each coin out of the foam, and "sandwhiching" them together - sort of a very shallow shadow-box there both sides can be viewed. Ideas?

3) Sharing. Once I have more of an ability to display coins then bringing various themes to events would be fun (the entire collection is just too much to bring to every event!)

4) Activation. This is something I just started and wish I had done all along (it's sort of like #1). I am asking people that have personal trackables to activate them and set their mission to be in my collection. (I do the same with mine). This way, I know I recieved the coin directly from the individul and it's a little for fun for me (and enjoyable).

Other than that, I like to dive through my coins like a porpoise, throw them into the air and let them land on my head.... (anyone who gets that refernce is extra cool!)

You McScrooge you!!

Nice! PM me your address and I'll send you one of my new personal coins. Anyone that like Uncle Scrooge is okay in my books.

Oh...and when I say "anyone" I mean the first one and that one is done! :blink:

That was quick, and a very funny visual. I miss Ducktails. I bet i can still sing the song too.

Edited by RifleMan81

Nice! PM me your address and I'll send you one of my new personal coins. Anyone that like Uncle Scrooge is okay in my books.

Oh...and when I say "anyone" I mean the first one and that one is done! :blink:

THANKS, my friend...and don't let those coins bounce to hard off your head, they might hurt!

Scrooge, Donald, Daisy and the nephews were regulars to the TV and comics when I was a child, the memories!! I used to love to watch The Wonderful World of Disney (which came on right after MoO's Wild Kingdom every Sunday after football)...we'd pop popcorn, make homemade pizzas and watch as a family!

Amongst several obsessions I have is my love of the classic works from Carl Barks - comic books. I'm only a very few issues away from a complete set of Uncle Scrooge comics as he was always my favourite. Actually, I like many comics, but shhhhhh! - I don't want anyone to think I'm an oddball.

I'm often fond of saying I am a parody of a characterature of myself.... I like computers, comics, aviation, science....sheesh...I sound like a geek! (although, to my credit, while I *like* Star Trek, I don't *love* Star Trek...at least as much as the folks that dress-up do... :blink:

In fact, one of the reasons I was thinking about starting this thread (remember that!), was because I have a way of displaying some of my favourite comics and am looking for something similar to do with my coins (and my little airplanes - that's another story).

Too often, I see colletions in deep "storage" where they don't get proper enjoyment. What a crime!

In some of my other "forums" (Archie, comics, planes) - there are threads with titles like "Show us your comic room".

Does anyone here have a "Geocaching Room"? Or some such monument to idle time :blink:

I have the "geo-shelf" and the "geo-drawer", but that's it for me. Once I get some display cases for the coins though....