What to do with a broken rec'ver (early in the morning)

besem

My GPSr has fallen a few times without consequence, but a few months ago, my GPS fell off the dashboard of my car, and hit that little metal thing you use to adjust your seat. Small little metal point = huge pressure, and the display was never the same again. The unit was still operable, however, and I cached a good month with it without any problems other than a wonky display.

Then the display would get garbled, and only a whack would fix it. Later on I had to squeeze the GPS at the sides to get the display to be useable, and eventually, two weeks ago, during a hunt for that FTF, it died. Plugged the unit into my PC confirmed that it's not only the display. No life whatsoever.

So I Googled a bit, found this site which shows you how to perform surgery on a Garmin eTrex. I didn't exactly have the right tools, but I figured I'd give it a go anyway.

Let's just say that the operation was not a success.

So what can I do with a broken GPSr? It's been a useful paperweight up to now, and makes my new GPS looks really great by comparison (GPSrs are WAY cheaper here in Europe). Maybe it could be handy as a frustration throw-thing, or possibly even a thief-decoy.

Any other ideas? :blink:

Also hope to bump into Trixie - perhaps you can have a mission to meet up with south african cachers?

That's not a bad idea - I'll add that as a sub-mission.

Should have sent it to Avnic trading they would probably have replaced the unit for you at a small charge....

*Watches as plenty people run off to find the TB and move it before the owner knows what happened to it*

Doesn't look like the Dutch geocachers pay much attention to this forum... she's still sitting in her rectangular little box buried under... hey wait a minute... :angry:

I opted for an upgrade to a different model because with Trixie's low-sensitivity received ([whisper] she was useless for caching under trees [/whisper]) she was a brilliant little unit. I'm really sad that she's gone.

Doesn't look like the Dutch geocachers pay much attention to this forum... she's still sitting in her rectangular little box buried under... hey wait a minute... :D

By coincidence mama beer stumbled upon this item...

Though the Netherlands is only small, Wassenaar still is a little too far off for de familie beer. :D If Trixie should find her way in our direction (not too far away from Eindhoven) we would like to introduce her to our GPS-r!

We placed her on our watch list... so all we can do now is wait... -_-

Hey besem if you still got it get a quote from Avnic or give it to me Ill have a look for you. Send me a PM.

Anton

(; Trixie's havin' fun in the UK at the moment, so there's not much chance I'll get my hands on her again soon. Besides, she might have been repairable, but then I decided to open her up... but thanks for the offer!