Geo Police

power69

I think the best way to deal with this is to simply replace the cache(s) without comment (Or, in some cases, take their attention to heart and realize it wasn't really a good cache after all, and archive it.).

Don't forget to remove their geotrash sticker when replacing the cache.

There will always be people opposed to the hobbies and likes of others for some unknown reason. The human animal is the cruelest of all creations on this planet. For every decent person there is an angry self serving individual to counter balance him or her.

There will always be people opposed to the hobbies and likes of others for some unknown reason. The human animal is the cruelest of all creations on this planet. For every decent person there is an angry self serving individual to counter balance him or her.

most likely is some ex cacher that either got their tb/coin stolen, a cheater that got outted, got their log deleted or hide denied by reviewer.

i think the latest stickers are a copycat of earlier one because they're different.

i think the latest stickers are a copycat of earlier one because they're different.

I'm not 100% sure of that - as - the stickers themselves are more "permanent" and it changed shortly after the discussion here about the person possibly commiting a "greater crime" than was listed on the first stickers.

(Basically goes from the accusation of littering, to theft and graffiti)

In my onion, a lot of us have probably already met the person who is doing this, and also feel that they are also reading these threads.

Our numbers are many, their numbers are just one, two or maybe three. Certainly not four or more. Any way the point is, instead of talking about it on here which is probably giving this sicko a hard on, we need to work together. If you find one of these stickers, remove it and either replace the cache your self or log a DNF and contact the owner so they can get it replaced. If we are vigilant, and we don't give them the sanctification they are looking for they will eventually stop.

I recommend making all caches "Premium Member Only" caches. I doubt such a cache thief would pay for a membership, and even if he did, geocachers who have had their caches stolen could view the audit log for the muggled caches to see if there are any suspicious geocaching names who could be the potential cache thief.

When writing the cache description, please put a check mark in the box before "Check if you only want Premium and Charter Members to view this cache."

Edited by Highpointer

Just keep photographing them, make a report to the local officials and I am sure they can extract a fingerprint or two and maybe some DNA. Especially if a hair is stuck there and came from the perp! I bet the back of the sticker can tell quite the story...

If I were the perp - I would be removing them, tout-de-suite.

Our numbers are many, their numbers are just one, two or maybe three. Certainly not four or more. Any way the point is, instead of talking about it on here which is probably giving this sicko a hard on, we need to work together. If you find one of these stickers, remove it and either replace the cache your self or log a DNF and contact the owner so they can get it replaced. If we are vigilant, and we don't give them the sanctification they are looking for they will eventually stop.

I recommend making all caches "Premium Member Only" caches. I doubt such a cache thief would pay for a membership, and even if he did, geocachers who have had their caches stolen could view the audit log for the muggled caches to see if there are any suspicious geocaching names who could be the potential cache thief.

When writing the cache description, please put a check mark in the box before "Check if you only want Premium and Charter Members to view this cache."

Only that premiums have also been stolen and stickered.

We've had people remove dozens of caches along trails behind houses (open space). I think that's the homeowners doing it, just to keep people out of their neighborhoods (possibly afraid of thefts). We haven't had any orange stickers.

However, I've seen stories of people being prosecuted for theft. The person stealing the geocache is actually opening up themselves for legal problems.

It's probably rare to spot a person stealing a geocache.

But with all the cameras that exist in the cities, it's quite probable that they will end up on tape.

I recommend making all caches "Premium Member Only" caches.

geocachers who have had their caches stolen could view the audit log for the muggled caches to see if there are any suspicious geocaching names who could be the potential cache thief.

Wrong... Any PM can get full info about a cache, and anyone (PM and non PM) can get coordinates (even for PM caches), all without ever seeing the cache page, thus never showing up on the "audit" log.

Full cache descriptions show up in PQ's, no page visit needed.

Anyone (PM and non-PM) can "tweak" a url such as this to "home in" on the coordinates for any cache, including PM caches.

Anyone (PM and non-PM) can log a cache (via field notes).

All of this can be done without ever visiting the cache page.

There is also a way to "scrape" the gc/google maps for coordinates.

I rarely see the cache pages of any of the caches that I find. I also have info for every cache within so many miles of me, and I've not been to any of their pages (PQ's).

I say, set up some 'bait' caches, with some real good SWAG in them, place them with motion cameras on them, and hooked to an electrical charge, like an electrical fence, or shock collar, something that won't hurt them, but get their attention. Then sit and wait. When you see the disgruntled cacher stealing the cache, and placing his sticker, shock him, then go in for the cache.

A. A person commits criminal littering or polluting if such person without lawful authority does any of the following:

1. Throws, places, drops or permits to be dropped on public property or property of another which is not a lawful dump any litter, destructive or injurious material which he does not immediately remove.

2. Discharges or permits to be discharged any sewage, oil products or other harmful substances into any waters or onto any shorelines within the state.

3. Dumps any earth, soil, stones, ores or minerals on any land.

B. Criminal littering or polluting is punished as follows:

1. A class 6 felony if a knowing violation of subsection A in which the amount of litter or other prohibited material or substance exceeds three hundred pounds in weight or one hundred cubic feet in volume or is done in any quantity for a commercial purpose.

2. A class 1 misdemeanor if the act is not punishable under paragraph 1 of this subsection and involves placing any destructive or injurious material on or within fifty feet of a highway, beach or shoreline of any body of water used by the public.

3. A class 2 misdemeanor if not punishable under paragraph 1 or 2 of this subsection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the city of phoenix have a geocache police dept that is tagging cache sites with these stickers?

cache in question is not enabled but just wondering as sticker looks like it came from city. GCRDK5

There have been a few problems in the past with some eco nazis (No disrepect to level headed eco people)wanting to see geocaching prohibited claiming it was litter. I shave a recolection of a forum thread many years ago about someone that was removing caches. As I also reclall there was a website by and eco group that was very anti geocaching. Maybe some of the old timers in the forums recall these.