60csx - Rocker button rubber base cracking

ShugZero

I've noticed a "crinkly" noise lately when using my 60csx's rocker button... today I found out why... When I had it hooked up to the USB cable, I noticed the backlight shining through a crack in the rubber around the base of the rocker button - it's cracked almost 2/3rds of the way around it. My unit of course, is just over a year old. :laughing:

Anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone know of a way to get replacement parts for this unit? I'm not interested in paying $150 to have this $5 piece (if even that much...) replaced.

I've searched the forums here and read about places that might sell non-functional empty dummy/display units (would be perfect to rob the part from!) or even individual parts themselves. Unfortunately, those posts referred to websites that aren't in english!

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have a dead 60c, 60cs or 60csx laying around they would be interested in selling for parts?

Thanks in advance!

My unit of course, is just over a year old.

I would contact Garmin first. Let them know what the trouble is and just how old it is.

I have heard Garmin is very good about taking care of things like this.

You may not only get it repaired for free, but it could come back from Garmin with a little something extra in the box. :laughing:

My unit of course, is just over a year old.

I would contact Garmin first. Let them know what the trouble is and just how old it is.

I have heard Garmin is very good about taking care of things like this.

You may not only get it repaired for free, but it could come back from Garmin with a little something extra in the box. <_<

Already did that. Just planning for the "Sorry, your unit is out of warranty. For a flat-rate repair fee of $150..." email back from them.

But if they DID offer to fix it, I'd be a customer for life. :laughing:

I've had lots and lots of experience with Garmin customer support. They are generally exceptional, but they do have their limits. I just had a 60Cx that failed after two years. They reduced the repair price and shipped a new replacement back to me 2nd day air. I've had them make repairs out of warranty for free, but I really don't expect that. If you don't get a good reply, you can call back and speak with another individual.

A better strategy than e-mail is to call Garmin on the phone. In my experience they are pretty buy-the-book and slightly dismissive when it comes to e-mail but if you CALL them up they really treat you well. It's almost like they know that any yahoo can write them an e-mail but a customer who calls, well, they care enough to call so we'll really treat them well. They will often times just give you an WRMA and waive the repair fee. Call them up and see if that changes their tune in any way.

Well, the answer is back from Garmin and it is... NO. Your unit is out of warranty. We can send you a refurbished one for $100 if you send us yours.

"Can I purchase the part so I can replace it myself?"

this is the ridiculous answer I received:

"We do not have parts to send out as we cannot encourage our customer's to repair their own devices as this voids warranties and keeps us from being liable if any damage were done while you were trying to repair the device."

What warranty am I going to void??? They already told me my unit is OUT OF WARRANTY and that they'd gladly replace it for $100! And puh-leeze... there is not a single legal precedent anywhere that has found a company is liable for damages that someone else does to their own property because they simply provided them repair parts...

I asked about the non-functional display units, waiting to hear back about that... If that's a negative too, I'll be making a phone call to them. If that doesn't work out, then Garmin will have LOST a customer for life. I have purchased (3) 60csx GPS's... this is the only one that has this problem...

I asked about the non-functional display units, waiting to hear back about that... If that's a negative too, I'll be making a phone call to them. If that doesn't work out, then Garmin will have LOST a customer for life.
I would hope not. Garmin is a BIG company and as such has a lot of inertia. Difficult for them to change their ways. No telling how their current policies evolved.

Well, a phone call was a little better than email. Still no parts are available - got the "we wouldn't want people to damage their units trying to fix them" line. That idea doesn't make sense, because if someone damages their unit trying to fix it themselves, that either means: A) more parts to order; B) an RMA for in-shop repair work; or C) they'll have to buy a complete new unit... any of which would generate revenue for Garmin!

What I don't believe is that they say they have never seen this problem. I'm not buying that!

BUT: They did say they would replace/repair the unit for $42 total, including return shipping, and that it would take 10-12 days once they receive the unit. That's a little easier to swallow than $150 or $100... So in it goes!

On this particular one, I found have about 300 caches, but had quite a few DNF's too! I also used it for street/road navigation, so the rocker did get more use than just a geocaching unit. I have three of these units, all bought about the same time, and this is the only one it's happened to... so far!

It's never been used in cold weather, left out in the sun, underwater, in a damp backpack, in an oven-like glove box, etc. In fact, it's pretty much like new except the button falling out. So why did it tear? Who knows. My guess is it was a manufacturing defect in the molded button assembly: too thin, a weak spot...

Hey ShugZero - how many caches did you do over the year?

I'm trying to figure out how long until my Rocker Button Cover goes!

<_<

I would say that Garmin agreeing to replace a $300 unit that's out of warrany for $42 (and ship it back) is more than generous.

:ph34r: This might be a little off topic but I've been using my csx for a year and a half for over 600 finds and a few trips out into the ocean salmon fishing and no trouble yet. I see this doesn't compare really with your over 1,000 finds. I would have to agree that was probably a defective unit. :huh:

:huh:

I would say that Garmin agreeing to replace a $300 unit that's out of warrany for $42 (and ship it back) is more than generous.

B) This might be a little off topic but I've been using my csx for a year and a half for over 600 finds and a few trips out into the ocean salmon fishing and no trouble yet. I see this doesn't compare really with your over 1,000 finds. I would have to agree that was probably a defective unit. B)

:ph34r: Actually I was referring to GerIRL over 1,000 finds. <_< Sorry <_<