how far apart can it be?

MREAGLEWO1

I am planning to place a cache... well a series of caches.

It will be a cache which will be a mystery that will need you to find 5 other caches for a part of it.

I cant place all the 5 caches in one park. i was going to place them throughout a town/ or different parks within the town. How far can / should it be from the actual mystery cache? (i know atleast tenth of a mile)

Thanks,

If you have five caches where finders collect clues for a final cache, that's the classic definition of a multicache. To avoid having your reviewer insist on reclassifying them as a multicache, you'll want to place the caches far apart so that they stand on their own merits as independent caches. (See the "power trail" clause in the cache saturation guideline.) Take finders to five interesting places, each of which merits a traditional cache -- not just five random spots along a single trail. Perhaps all five of your interesting places relate to one another in some way? That would make a nice series. Then, place the final mystery cache wherever it makes sense. Something that ties together the other five locations would be ideal.

Well, i was thinking if it could be place about a mile apart in different parks but will lead to the mystery cache from the clue.

That should work. As Keystone said, as long as each of the caches stand on their own, then it should be acceptable. Best bet is to run it by POFE first just to make certain. You don't want to do all that work only to be told no.

Keeping in mind it is never a good idea to disagree with the lord of the realm I submit the following humble opinion for consideration.

With all due respect to the wonderful, kind, knowledgeable and all around generous member of our great community Keystone I disagree with his belief that what the poster wants is a multicache. We have several here that are classified as mysteries. When you view the page it shows several caches, each of which contains a clue to the final. Each cache stands alone. After finding the series you can then find the last one.

If I am wrong I assume Keystone will inform me in his kind and benevolent manner.

Keeping in mind it is never a good idea to disagree with the lord of the realm I submit the following humble opinion for consideration.

With all due respect to the wonderful, kind, knowledgeable and all around generous member of our great community Keystone I disagree with his belief that what the poster wants is a multicache. We have several here that are classified as mysteries. When you view the page it shows several caches, each of which contains a clue to the final. Each cache stands alone. After finding the series you can then find the last one.

If I am wrong I assume Keystone will inform me in his kind and benevolent manner.

Um, yeah, I think you did read Keystone's post incorrectly...

He was trying to help the OP with suggestions on how to place a series without having the local reveiwer insist on the idea being placed as a multi...(5 Traditionals and 1 Mystery)...with all the Traditionals being able to "Stand Alone" on their own merit...

Um, yeah, I think you did read Keystone's post incorrectly...

He was trying to help the OP with suggestions on how to place a series without having the local reveiwer insist on the idea being placed as a multi...(5 Traditionals and 1 Mystery)...with all the Traditionals being able to "Stand Alone" on their own merit...

Yep, I think Keystone was pretty clear with his comments. Several nice spots and several individual caches. Find them all and get the bonus cache at the end. Sounds like a good time can be had by all!