Nature's Night & Day Geocoin

scavok

This doodle is not my normal style but I thought I'd give it a try and see what others thought. I don't imagine it to be a big coin, probably 1.5"-1.75" since there isn't enough detail to fill a big face. But I like the colors and definite lines. Again this is out of my norm so I'm not sure if I like it or not overall...

Whatcha think? :laughing:

NAD_01.jpg

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

i like it a LOT but i wouldn't use gritty metal under the whole thing. some of the colours would really be stand outs if they were over smooth metal. the gritty could be used to add texture. the sun's rays would look awesome in smooth translucents. i love this design!

i would also use a much simpler font, like helvetica or arial. a sans serif font would be good, imho.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

I like it, except that the middle looks like a Brain. If that was not the intent, then maybe a slightly different pattern there. Good job.

Ha ha, my wife said the same thing and I was all like, "Naw, nobody's gonna think that!" Will do, I'll change it up :laughing:

i like it a LOT but i wouldn't use gritty metal under the whole thing. some of the colours would really be stand outs if they were over smooth metal. the gritty could be used to add texture. the sun's rays would look awesome in smooth translucents. i love this design!

i would also use a much simpler font, like helvetica or arial. a sans serif font would be good, imho.

rsg

After I posted I thought what if I did gritty under every-other ray rather than all of them, gritty under the rocks, but then not under the water?

The sans sarifs just seem very plain, good for reading but not visually stimulating. I agree the curls are weird.. I'll see what I can find. Cursive?

Hmm...

Curious...why the moon in the water and nothing corresponding on the other side...

I think got that one....

The moon is reflected at night in the pond, but during the day, the light from the sun is so strong that there is no sun to see in the pond.

Really like this coin. The orange stands out, as it is in contrast to all the other colours in the purple/blue range.

I hope you go ahead with it.

Edited by Butterfly_lady

rsg

After I posted I thought what if I did gritty under every-other ray rather than all of them, gritty under the rocks, but then not under the water?

The sans sarifs just seem very plain, good for reading but not visually stimulating. I agree the curls are weird.. I'll see what I can find. Cursive?

Hmm...

since you want your text to be easily read, plain is good! this is another intricate design with a lot going on, fancy fonts fight with the design rather than let it shine on its own. the design is what is visually stimulating, the text - not so much - it is a support element. best coins i have seen lately have the writing on the edge of the coin. nothing to get in the way of the art.

Gil sans is nice as is skia. you can have something cool, without being plain. i would stay away from cursive or serif fonts. but that is just me.

i like your idea of being selective where you place the gritty texture. maybe purple is not the best colour for water?

have i mentioned that i love the design! i can't wait to see this one made. sign me up for at least a dozen!

rsg

Quick idea...

I like the quote, but it isn't entirely relevent to the coin's theme. what if I scrap the quote and put the tracking info there?

I agree...I think the quote is too long and the script would be too small to really read.

If you wanted something, I'd focus on the day/night theme. Something about the rhythm of the earth; maybe just the words: day into night into day into night...

Thanks for the replies everyone

Tonight I will update with a newer image with suggested changes (nothing is nearly final yet:))and see how it looks to take more suggestions

----- Selective gritty areas (every other ray and the rocks)

----- Non-Brain water :blink:

----- Remove the quote and replace it with tracking info in a block serif (I still vote for serif:), though I'm quite sure I may be wrong...) that can be read on black nickel

----- Eventually there will be color changes because one has to go, most mints max with 10 colors...

Any more?

Edit because I can't type and also wanted to point out there is always room on the edge for a better quote if I come across one...

Edited by scavok

i liked the quote also.

something to think about - all caps is not as easy to read as a mixture.

does the word _geocoin_need to be on the coin?

the design keeps getting better and better.

and you know this from your other experiences in coins - does one metal look better underneath translucent enamels than another? i have some coins in different metals and it seems that the undercoat metal can really affect how the paints look.

i just got two rain forest jewel coins - V1 - one gold and one nickel. it seems the colours look so much brighter on the gold rather than the nickel.

what have you found from your other coins? (slightly OT)

i can't wait to see this one!

rsg

Honestly I don't think I have the experience to judge that. I only have experience with textures under translucent, colors haven't been much for me (yet). My first instinct was to say that gold under the blue would make the water green. Then I looked at my gold/red tengwar and realized it sure didn't turn out gold and orange...

That will be something to determine from samples I think <_<

As for the quote, what do you all think

1: Quote on the face and tracking info on edge

2: Tracking info on face and quote on edge

3: Tracking on face and scrap the quote

Quotes to consider (any other ideas?):

"Nature is not all that is visible to the eye, it also includes the inner pictures of the soul."

-Edvard Munch

“We need society, and we need solitude also, as we need summer and winter, day and night, exercise and rest.”

-Philip Gilbert Hamerton

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls"

-George Carlin, Brain Droppings, 1997

"Night is a world lit by itself."

-Antonio Porchia

Honestly I don't think I have the experience to judge that. I only have experience with textures under translucent, colors haven't been much for me (yet). My first instinct was to say that gold under the blue would make the water green. Then I looked at my gold/red tengwar and realized it sure didn't turn out gold and orange...

#1 :mad:

Quotes to consider (any other ideas?):

"Night is a world lit by itself."

-Antonio Porchia

The Antonio Porchia quote.

I love the night, worked it for many years. It has it's own beauty, that so many of us miss. <_<

Here's a quote i really like, although not for this coin! "Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon!" :mad:

This one will be special for us, thanks!

Hey all

I've decided to go ahead with this one. Still not my norm, but I'm liking how it looks!

One last bit of minor changes, but then I'm going for samples :laughing:

NAD_06.jpg

I definitely like the way this one is looking and cannot wait to see how it turns out.

I'll definitely be getting a few when the time comes to order. ;)

I like the quote, but am I missing the attribution?

You might want to consider adding that (in italics: -- George Carlin, 1997) to the edge so that it's centered in the quote.

Might want to check to see if his estate would have a cow because of you using the quote. It's a nice quote!

I looked in to this and according to The U.S. Copyright Office at http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html:

Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. I'm not copying an entire book/act/speech or even a big chunk of it, and the phrase isn't under the trademark registry. I'd like to avoid an extra die fee for edge work if I can and am surely going to attribute the phrase on whatever sales page gets created for it (:

If I'm way wrong (its always a remote possibility, ha!), point it out.

I'm glad everyone is starting to like the design, I think it will be great in hand :laughing:

Just a quick update. I finalized the art on this one and have ordered a handful of samples. It seems there is more interest in this one now so there will be a handful of metals available in the end (I was only originally planning on 1 or 2).

Thanks everyone, can't wait to see this one in hand :)