Can I change drive designation?

Idaho Ron

I had some trouble with my Mapsource program it is about 10 years old or something like that. It locked up and I could not get it to work no matter what I did. I tried to zoom in on the eastern USA and I didn’t have the CD.

Anyway I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, then I did an update. Well I put the mapsourse disk in the external CD drive E and installed it, I was playing a CD on the D drive at the time. Now every time I need to zoom in it says put the mapsource CD into the E drive. Well The E drive is not working and I need to make it work on the D drive. Can I do this? Ron

I had some trouble with my Mapsource program it is about 10 years old or something like that. It locked up and I could not get it to work no matter what I did. I tried to zoom in on the eastern USA and I didn’t have the CD.

Anyway I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, then I did an update. Well I put the mapsourse disk in the external CD drive E and installed it, I was playing a CD on the D drive at the time. Now every time I need to zoom in it says put the mapsource CD into the E drive. Well The E drive is not working and I need to make it work on the D drive. Can I do this? Ron

You can either uninstall and then re-install from drive D, OR - and this is the most risky choice if you don't know what you're doing - you can edit the registry to point to drive D instead of E.

I wouldn't recommend the registry editing unless you know what you're doing.

You can either uninstall and then re-install from drive D, OR - and this is the most risky choice if you don't know what you're doing - you can edit the registry to point to drive D instead of E.

I wouldn't recommend the registry editing unless you know what you're doing.

This sounds more like an .ini file edit rather than a registry edit. I'd check that first in the MapSource directory.

Edited by TotemLake

You could try opening the computer up and disconnecting the drive that doesn't work. If that doesn't work you can reassign the drive letters. If you search windows help it will tell you how to do it, it sounds harder then it is. I would only mess with the registry as a last resort and if you do, make sure you back the registry up.