Your "unique-est" find

K F Boom

Ok, this has got to be my “unique-est” find... Ever!

How many can say they recovered a cache from a sheriff’s department evidence envelope and signed the log?

I pulled into the gas station adjacent to where the coordinates “Waving to Jodi” GC1HP49 in Panama City Beach, Florida led me and placed my large white American Expedition TB so as not to be seen from the store. Or so I thought.

I searched and searched the obvious hiding places with no joy. I knew it had just been found a couple of weeks ago so I figured I just didn’t see it in all the places for it to hide.

So I drove up to the store to use the restroom and get a cool beverage. The lady behind the counter looked at me sort of suspiciously but that didn’t register at the time. After I left I drove across the nearby bridge and hadn’t gotten more than a half mile when I see flashing red lights in my rearview mirror. I pulled over and as a retired LEO, prepared to meet the nice sheriff deputy by rolling down my window and putting both hands on top of the steering wheel. I know I wasn’t speeding and quickly tried to think if I had rolled through a stop sign.

Deputy Friendly greeted me by asking, “What were you looking for in that tree?” Now I’m really confused. I explained to the nice deputy what geocaching is all about and he said, “You didn’t find the bottle, did you?” I said, “No, I didn’t.” He replied, “That’s because I have it on the dashboard of my patrol car.” (I know of at least one nearby caching LEO but not by sight and it became apparent this wasn’t him.)

What had happened was this: The owner/cashier woman in the store (who by the way, does not know “Jodi”) saw the person who found this cache today before I did and thinking it suspicious that someone was pulling a small bottle from it’s hiding place opening it and then putting it back, called the Sheriff’s Department and reported it.

So Deputy Friendly arrives on the scene, recovers the cache (bottle), seals it in an evidence envelope, and writes a “suspicious circumstance” report.

So a while later when I arrive, the same owner/cashier sees me poking around in the same tree and then drive off, she’s calls the Sheriff’s Department back and Deputy Friendly pulls me over to investigate.

He was very nice and understanding about the whole affair. He told me exactly where he had found the cache (bottle) and said he was going to put it back where he found it and explain to the owner/cashier what was going on.

So I asked him if he minded, before he returned it, if I could sign the log. He said sure and proceeded to tear open the evidence seal and let me sign the log and we both went our separate ways in search of further adventures.

I still have no idea who “Jodi” is!

What a great story! Nice to see that you shared it in your log as well. Waaay better than the "tftc" log posted by the other finder today.

I found a puzzle cache Thursday when I stopped to check out a park that didn't have any caches showing as being in it. I always wondered why. After checking out the general lay of the park I settled on what I thought would be the best area for a cache. After looking at a few possible hide spots I noticed something behind a rock. Sure enough, it was a cache container! I signed the log but haven't decided yet how to post the find. First thing I am going to do is see if I can solve the puzzle. That could make for a fun log. "Found the cache so I thought I should solve the puzzle." :D

For us it was a cache next to a small museum. The cache itself was under a new pressure treated deck that ran down the side of the building. For a while we were stumped because of where the coords were pointing us, and it was listed as an ammo can while there was obviously now place to hide anything that large!

It turned out the you had to reach under the end of the deck planking and lower a piece of 2x2 that was on a hinge. This piece of 2x2 both covered another hinge that allowed a length of the deck planking to raise, and prevented the planking from being lifted before the 2x2 was lowered. Very ingenious to say the least!

We still talk about that one, and keep looking for the chance to hide one of our own like it.

"unique"' it means is not a word that can take a comparative form.

a thing is either unique or it is not.

unique does not mean "special" or "interesting"; it describes a state of being singular, the only thing of its kind. it is therefore not possible for a thing to be more singular, or to be "only-er" than another thing.

unique does not mean "special" or "interesting"; it describes a state of being singular, the only thing of its kind. it is therefore not possible for a thing to be more singular, or to be "only-er" than another thing.

Who cares????? The guy told a great story. Go agitate somewhere else.

"unique" does mean "unusual" sometimes. See 3 of Merriam definition. Edited by John E Cache

Thanks Tequila, I appreciate it.

Obviously the above subject poster has no sense of humor or at least doesn’t recognize tongue-in-cheek sarcasm when he reads it. I thought about taking umbrage when I read his post but then I saw the punctuation, grammar, syntax and spelling on his profile page and figured why bother.

Thanks Tequila, I appreciate it.

Obviously the above subject poster has no sense of humor or at least doesn’t recognize tongue-in-cheek sarcasm when he reads it. I thought about taking umbrage when I read his post but then I saw the punctuation, grammar, syntax and spelling on his profile page and figured why bother.

I noticed all the mistakes over there as well. It is best to just ignore guys like that. They get their kick out of agitating.

Your story could have only been better if the deputy became a cacher.

Ok, this has got to be my “unique-est” find... Ever!

How many can say they recovered a cache from a sheriff’s department evidence envelope and signed the log?

I pulled into the gas station adjacent to where the coordinates “Waving to Jodi” GC1HP49 in Panama City Beach, Florida led me and placed my large white American Expedition TB so as not to be seen from the store. Or so I thought.

I searched and searched the obvious hiding places with no joy. I knew it had just been found a couple of weeks ago so I figured I just didn’t see it in all the places for it to hide.

So I drove up to the store to use the restroom and get a cool beverage. The lady behind the counter looked at me sort of suspiciously but that didn’t register at the time. After I left I drove across the nearby bridge and hadn’t gotten more than a half mile when I see flashing red lights in my rearview mirror. I pulled over and as a retired LEO, prepared to meet the nice sheriff deputy by rolling down my window and putting both hands on top of the steering wheel. I know I wasn’t speeding and quickly tried to think if I had rolled through a stop sign.

Deputy Friendly greeted me by asking, “What were you looking for in that tree?” Now I’m really confused. I explained to the nice deputy what geocaching is all about and he said, “You didn’t find the bottle, did you?” I said, “No, I didn’t.” He replied, “That’s because I have it on the dashboard of my patrol car.” (I know of at least one nearby caching LEO but not by sight and it became apparent this wasn’t him.)

What had happened was this: The owner/cashier woman in the store (who by the way, does not know “Jodi”) saw the person who found this cache today before I did and thinking it suspicious that someone was pulling a small bottle from it’s hiding place opening it and then putting it back, called the Sheriff’s Department and reported it.

So Deputy Friendly arrives on the scene, recovers the cache (bottle), seals it in an evidence envelope, and writes a “suspicious circumstance” report.

So a while later when I arrive, the same owner/cashier sees me poking around in the same tree and then drive off, she’s calls the Sheriff’s Department back and Deputy Friendly pulls me over to investigate.

He was very nice and understanding about the whole affair. He told me exactly where he had found the cache (bottle) and said he was going to put it back where he found it and explain to the owner/cashier what was going on.

So I asked him if he minded, before he returned it, if I could sign the log. He said sure and proceeded to tear open the evidence seal and let me sign the log and we both went our separate ways in search of further adventures.

I still have no idea who “Jodi” is!

Edited by Hoosier Ranger

One of the most "singular" finds for me was the second stage of the multi, "All Aboard," GCQR07 now temporarily disabled. The first stage consisted of some well-hidden coordinates near a former railroad depot which is now the headquarters of the Cardinal Greenway, a rails-to-trails. I had looked for the coordinates many times without success. I perform trail maintenance regularly and one day as I drove the maintenance truck down the trail I spotted an empty soda can near the edge of a woods. I got out of the truck and while reaching down for the can I remarked to myself: "That would be a great place to hide a geocache." I looked more closely and almost shouted: "Holy Smoke! There IS a geocache!" I knew which one it had to be and signed the log, initially suggesting only half a :laughing: but then claiming a full one since I found the cache w/o aid of the coordinates or a GPSr. I now refer to this geocaching approach as "TOCI," that is: "Trash Out, Cache In." Try it sometime, it may work for you as well.

Hoosier Rambler,

That's a great story. I love the “TOCI.”

Reminds me of a cache I found one time. Not my “unique-est” and the name of it escapes me right now. The cache page had said something about the cache went missing and the owner replaced it with a similar container at the same coords. I found what I thought was the cache in the shrubbery at GZ and signed the log only to have the owner write me and say I had found the old container and couldn’t claim the find. Oh well, it’s his cache and page and he can do whatever he wants. Thing is he never did delete my find.