Online Logs Containing Links To Charitable Institutions

OzGuff

I think the Cache Maintenance section of the guidelines covers this subject nicely:

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

If a solicitous log was posted to one of my caches, I would email the poster asking for it to be edited. If they declined the request I would delete the log and invite them to relog the find without the link nor agenda.

I know that caches and events with agendas are frowned upon, but how about the practice of including a hyperlink to a charity in one's online log? Kosher or not?

Several online dictionaries define "charity" as:

1. - a foundation created to promote the public good (not for assistance to any particular individuals)

2. - a kindly and lenient attitude toward people

3. - an activity or gift that benefits the public at large

4. - an institution set up to provide help to the needy

Who could possibly find fault with the mention of something that does some GOOD in today's world? I sure don't, and, in fact, I recently did so in one of my most recent online logs.

The hyperlink in my online log takes you to our local group, which SERVES a home-cooked, (from scratch, nothing out-of-a-can) dinner to ANYONE who lives in our county. It matters not whether your abode is a mansion or a homeless shelter, whether you drive a luxury car or walk, whether you are good-looking or downright ugly. ALL are welcome to come and be fed a top-notch, freshly cooked dinner on Christmas Day. This meal does not cost anyone a penny. It is absoultely free, Free, FREE!!! Bounty of Bethlehem NEVER solicits anything. We GIVE and SERVE others. All of the food is donated, cooked and served by volunteers. And if, for ANY reason you are home-bound and unable to come to the dinner, well, we'll just deliver meals and toys for the children right to your doorstep on Christmas Day.

Dear Dora and I have been in charge of coordinating all of the home-delivered meals for the past seven years. It's a LOT of work, but we enjoy it. There are so many others who are less fortunate than most. I take 4 weeks vacation time from work so that we can both devote full-time to this worthwhile cause. It's a way of giving something back. Last year, we coordinated the delivery of 1253 meals and over 200 toys on Christmas day.

Bounty Of Bethlehem is NOT an organized "charity." It is simply a group of caring, generous souls who gather together, to give something back to our community.

I can not imagine anyone getting upset with the mention of something like this, especially when the original poster, who STARTED this thread, has a whole SERIES of "Pretty In Pink" caches which support Breast Cancer awareness, another worthwhile cause. I fail to see the difference between the two, or the problem. However, if enough of the readers of this forum post indicate that I am wrong, I will remove the hyperllink. In my opinion, people should worry less about hyperlinks in online cache logs and re-channel that energy into something more constructive which may help others.

Atrus

P.S. I wrote the entire Bounty Of Bethlehem website myself. Dear Dora & I are most proud to be associated with this most worthwhile endevear.

[Edited by moderator to remove links -- please discuss but don't solicit by linking. Thanks!]

Edited by Keystone

As good and beneficial as your particular charity may be - this just isn't the place to promote it. Also do not want the admins and mods to have to regularly decide if a particular charity is "ok" or not. Imagine if the "Recently released prisoner association for the advancement of Devil Worship" wanted to post links to thier annual fund drive to feed homeless folks on your listing page??? (ok fictional but you get the idea!!)

Who could possibly find fault with the mention of something that does some GOOD in today's world? I sure don't, and, in fact,.

As has been mentioned many times before when the question of "cause" related caches, event, or other activities related to geocaching (like these forums :blink: ), it's not that the cause is at fault, or even whether as individuals we might actually support he cause.

It's that many would like to participate in this hobby *without* being ask to support (or even politely informed about) a cause that another geocacher deems worthwhile. I think there are many that would appreciate it if we, as geocachers, were not seen as as captive audience for whatever cause someone might support. Personally, I would like to have one activity where I can escape any sort of solicitation (that includes business cards in caches), or an invitation to visit some web site where I can learn more about someones cause.

I'm the owner of the cache with the questionable log, so I hope it's okay for me to add my two cents worth. The one thing that really turns me off in this little region I live in is the nitpicking that some folks do where it concerns geocaching. What everyone needs to do is step back and realize that this is only a game. It's not life or death. It's not a job you feed your family on. It's a game, period. Heck, you don't even win anything because there is nothing to win. It's supposed to be about the fun and the challenges. If Atrus, or anyone else for that matter, had inserted a link to their employer or solicited for a cause in a log, then I would have asked that person to change it. I asked the starter of this post to change the wording in his log for the same cache because I thought that his log was inappropriately worded and he did so graciously. It's not an issue and the matter for me is dropped. What it boils down to, though, is that it's MY cache and that it's up to ME to decide whether or not I think someone is sniping or soliciting in their online log. If it looks that way, then it's up to ME to handle the situation. I resent that this was brought into a public forum and my taste for geocaching is starting to sour over time because of stuff like this. Why Atrus should have to defend himself in a public forum for a log posted to my cache is beyond me. If someone is concerned about something in a log on one of my caches, then it needs to be brought to MY attention, not dragged out here.

I'm kind of disappointed in the person who complained about the log looking like a solicitation because that same geocacher has an entire SERIES of caches out where the log you have to sign is an advertising item from his OWN place of employment with his name and business number on them. I've never had a problem with that series because the puzzles are really challenging and the cache hides themselves are often times even more challenging to find than the puzzles were to solve. It's a great series and I enjoy working on it. However, I would never complain about it as being soliciting because what another cacher does with his or her caches is between them and Groundspeak and does not concern me outside of meeting the cache requirements and signing the log. I could care less if I had to sign a petrified hotdog, just as long as I was able to find it eventually to be able to sign it.

Let's face it, folks. If your life hangs in the balance because others don't play the game the way you think it should be played, then you don't have much of a life to begin with and a personal assessment may be necessary. There are many more important things in this world to be worried about than a game. Please let this thread die a quick death instead of being dragged into oblivion with pettiness and sniping. I've archived all of my caches as a result of this post and I won't be hiding any more in the future. When the fun is gone, then it's time to move on.

Merry Christmas to everyone and best wishes for a new year!

Team Bucky

Edited by Team_Bucky

If you log one of my caches with a link to another organization I will ask you to remove the link. If you don't I will remove your log. My cache, My choice, pretty simple. Others may do as they choose.

Jim

YUP.

Your log on my cache should relate to your experience in finding (or not finding) the cache. (although humorous logs in no way related to reality can be fun)

It's good that people have interests outside Geocaching, let's please keep them there.

I'm the owner of the cache with the questionable log, so I hope it's okay for me to add my two cents worth. <snip>

I resent that this was brought into a public forum and my taste for geocaching is starting to sour over time because of stuff like this. Why Atrus should have to defend himself in a public forum for a log posted to my cache is beyond me. If someone is concerned about something in a log on one of my caches, then it needs to be brought to MY attention, not dragged out here.

<snip>

Let's face it, folks. If your life hangs in the balance because others don't play the game the way you think it should be played, then you don't have much of a life to begin with and a personal assessment may be necessary. There are many more important things in this world to be worried about than a game. Please let this thread die a quick death instead of being dragged into oblivion with pettiness and sniping. I've archived all of my caches as a result of this post and I won't be hiding any more in the future. When the fun is gone, then it's time to move on.

Team Bucky

It sounds like you need to take a bit of your own advice. <_<

I'm the owner of the cache with the questionable log, so I hope it's okay for me to add my two cents worth. <snip>

I resent that this was brought into a public forum and my taste for geocaching is starting to sour over time because of stuff like this. Why Atrus should have to defend himself in a public forum for a log posted to my cache is beyond me. If someone is concerned about something in a log on one of my caches, then it needs to be brought to MY attention, not dragged out here.

<snip>

Team Bucky

It sounds like you need to take a bit of your own advice. <_<

I did take my own advice. I did a personal reassessment, decided what was truly important and moved on. It pained me to do it because I truly enjoy the hide, but enough is enough. I've got too many other things I'd rather concentrate on. I do plan on becoming more active in the geocaching community, but not in that regard.

Who could possibly find fault with the mention of something that does some GOOD in today's world?

well, for starters we are not all agreed on what's good in the world.

you may think some things are obvious, but they're not.

aside from gay rights, homeland security and chamber music for Democrats:

blood bank? homeless shelter? farm subsidies? drought relief? hydro power? debt relief? HIV treatment? food shelf? prayer breakfast?

all offensive to someone.

i'd leave your log as is if it were my cache, though. i believe in the intgrity of the logs and i have never deleted one.

...especially if the finder is a big fat jerk. why should i be the only one who knows that? other people would enjoy the log, too.

as for links, provided it's not a link to material you couldn't post here, i'd leave that as well. if you're talking about a thing in your log, you might as well link to it.

recently i linked to the store near a cache where i got a really good sandwich. i'm not affiliated with the store, but like i said it was a really good sandwich. i like illustrations and sometimes a link is just an illustration.

if you insist on using links to advertise your business or a cause i despise, i will simply consider you to be a bozo and move on, perhaps linking to your log as an example of idiot tracks.

as for the idea of making every log specifically restricted to the story of finding the cache or not, i think that robs us of some of the interesting parts of the stories. whenever there's a thread about who the best loggers are, people always mention as some of the historic greats some people whose logs had little or anything to do with the cache.

when you start deciding what people should write, you start getting more "TNLNSL TFTC".

In the thread on the caches that were archived by the cache owner as part of a day without gays, someone linked to this old thread. It probably applies here more than it does in that thread.

Yup, I immediately thought of the Plasmaboy situation. Why someone would file a complaint about that, or this situation is beyond me, but it's definitely a no go, with Plasmaboy cache logs as a precedent.

The efforts of Atrus and Dear Dora are admirable. But the hyperlink shown in the referenced online log is an example of exactly what I was asking about. The cause is sort of irrelevant -- it could be for anything. I appreciate the link to the older thread provided by tozainamboku -- I read the entire thread and it definitely relates here.

I don't think I would delete a log such as Atrus' -- the work he and his wife are doing is great -- but I do question the necessity of including that sort of info in an online log. I do quite a bit of charitable work for a number of different organizations but don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops.

I did, however, review my own "Pretty In Pink" caches and decided to remove the link to the Susan G Komen Foundation. Though likely objectionable to nobody it smelt of an agenda so I deleted them.

I feel bad about Team Bucky's reaction to this thread! Atrus just happened to reference TB's cache as an example, but he could have used any number of other cache finds where he has included the same hyperlink.

Thanks to all for the input! It appears that Groundspeak has already decided that the practice of including an agenda in an online log is not kosher.