Logging caches previously done.

Ding bat

I am 12 and I have been geocaching with my own name for a while now but before I was geocaching with my dad as the DamhuisClan and we found lots of caches.

At an event I had a chat to Fish Eagle and at the time he thought that it would be no problem with me logging the caches before I made my name on the net.

Lets say it was your cache would you think its ok to let me log it. Please would you to tell me what you think of the idea.

If you found it previously, even with or under the name of another team, it will be real silly to travel all those distance again just to "hunt, find and log" the cache. Any cacher would like some more visits to their caches but if you have done them, it's no use doing them again just for the cache's sake. Do it rather for the location it was placed in.

And when you log all those caches you've done with your team, do honour the cache and it's owner by adding some special comment about each cache.

Great to see people from your age creating your own profile and have plans to expand your caching horisons.

Keep it going Ding Bat. :D

Ding bat I think you have your answer. I also met your dad and I know he will do a check on your logs. Maybe it will be tougher to get pass him then the cachers. So go ahead and start logging. Just do a simple log which state clearly that you and your dad had done the cache before and you just logging the cache under your own name. You must mention your dad name. You could encounter a cacher that will delete your logs but just ignore it and redo if you are in the area. At the end of the day you did made this issue public and up to now no one had a problem.

At the end of the day it is not the logging that interest me but the passion that you show. It is nice to see that a youngster is doing it.

Start logging.

Gerhard

I must say I much in two minds about this, and thus the the suggestion to Ding bat to post it onto the forum.

Although he did do quite a few caches under my/our name, he did not log the finds as he did not have his own geocaching name.

If you think about it, "No log, no find"...

Him doing the caches, and not being able to log it, does not in any way take away the experience and enjoyment he got from doing those caches.

However, he does not have the means to get back to the caches we have done, so this is where I think it would be ok for him, if the greater community agrees, to log the previous finds.

The Gold Diggers, also started caching with us from the second cache we ever did, but only started their geocaching team name after a few months. Can they also log all previous finds? (No log, no find).

They do have the means to get to all the caches, and subsequently that is what they have done, slowly visited each previous cache, some with us, some not, and still have some left to do such as Lady Slipper in PE.

I think with Ding bat, because he is a minor, and does not have the means to get to the caches, that it could be ok for him to log the previous finds, since the greater community, from this tread, thinks that it would be ok.

And yes I will check his logs, I think he did all but 2 or 3 with me as the DamhuisClan. I think he must also upload a photo of each cache visit, as part as proof that he was there, and this can become his "sign the log". Maybe even link to this forum post, and maybe respect the decision of the owner if he/she disapproves of the log entry.

This would also mean that Wasat's son could potentially also log quite a few more cache visits.

Looking forward to a few more replies on this and see what others think

Edited by DamhuisClan

Ding bat you could also get your dad to drive you around. He will allow you to log very quickly. :D No I think it is a waste of resources to visit the same cache again when the team has found it together previously. The log was signed one behalf of the team. I have no problem with Fish Eagle’s daughter when she log a find, or Wazat’ son or even Gold Diggers. Where is the fun if you do the same cache again? I think the waste of resources weighs heavier than the signing of the log but some cachers will delete the logs and you have to live with that.

The reverse logic also needs to be applied. If my group consist of a team of 4 then is it legitimate to log a find if the whole group is not present. I do find most of the caches. But again if my daughter decides to log under her own name I will ensure that she do only claim finds on the ones where she was present. Some of these caches were found by her while I was still searching and I do claim them as gerhardoosMPsa.

Where are the guys opposing this issue? It would be nice to see the other side commenting.

Gerhard

I have absolutely no problem with the idea that someone who previously was part of a team and now has his own account logs his or her finds online retrospectively. It makes no sense to go back to the cache. It is all about the experience - if you were part of the experience, you have earned the smiley.

Just add something like "Found this cache as part of team xxx, now logging the finds under my own account"

Edited by the pooks

I dont think there is a single cacher in SA who would have an issue with that, as we are all so nice. If they do, i say boo to then <_<

I think the dilemma comes a few years from now, when babies who currently have profiles that their parents log for them start growing up and decide they want to become geocachers in their own right.

they now already have a profile with their finds logged, but they likely would not remember anything about the finds or would have helped look etc.

So at what age do they have to abandon their existing baby profile, and create one in their own name?

what if they decide to keep their profile along with a few years worth of caches they never really truly experienced. Is this fair and just :laughing:

Dont get the wrong idea though, I am not against babies with separate names and their caches being logged, just asking a question :huh:

Good point.

With Ding bat, I allowed him to create his own profile, but left him to do all the logging himself. Now about 6 moths later, it seems like he would carry on with the game, even if I should stop, so it seems like it was not just a fad he went through. There were a few times I had to remind him about a cache or two, but mostly everything he has done himself.

(And hopefully see how he has grown from his first logs, of word choice and spelling mistakes)

To me the cut off point is a grey area, but I think the balancing point is: Does the person have the means to get to the caches or not. If yes, then by all means visit them again, and get your signature in the log (No log no find, policy)

But so far people seem to be quite accommodating, with Ding bats request, so looks like he will be logging the older finds shortly.

And yes I will check his logs, I think he did all but 2 or 3 with me as the DamhuisClan. I think he must also upload a photo of each cache visit, as part as proof that he was there, and this can become his "sign the log". Maybe even link to this forum post, and maybe respect the decision of the owner if he/she disapproves of the log entry.

I think you have the right idea.

If I see a posting saying, "Found this cache with XYZ cacher last year. Decided to get my own account for logging." I'd would have no problem with allowing the log.

If I was suspicious or had a cache that had a special logging requirement I might talk to XYZ cacher about it, just to clarify things.

If one cache owner doesn't want to allow the logging, just forget about it and move on.

If I'm out caching with people without an account I'll usually write some sort of name for them, even if they don't plan on joining, just in case if one day... :laughing:

It has been acceptable practice for a long time to retro-log caches after teams has split up, or even if two teams joined forces. I can recall quite a few such teams.

In the past it was also possible to change your profile name, causing the name in the logbook to differ from the profile name.

Even though the rule states "No log, no find" one should interpret the rule by its intention, not the letter of the rule.

The fact that the name in the logbook is different from the profile, should be of no consequence.

Anyone part of a team who scribbled in the book, logged it, and may log these finds (and DNF's) under his/her new profile.

Good luck with the logging, Ding-bat (no copy/paste allowed!)

I have no problem with Fish Eagle’s daughter when she log a find, or Wazat’ son or even Gold Diggers.

Gerhard

Thanks Gerhard. Actually I make a point of taking my boys to the cache site again to log their find. I cannot recall all that they have been to with me and if they have signed each log book or not so their finds are based purely on which caches they have been to and signed the logbook that I am aware of. If I have found a cache before and they were not along that time, they then come along on my next visit and they have to find the treasure. If it is getting tough i give them a clue or two... But through and through they are cachers and the finds are theirs. It is usually a fight over who gets what in the trade items though.... sigh.

Ding Bat... log them finds. I seem to recall you found some of mine before your dad did..... LOL

As someone fairly new to caching (a few weeks now...) I would just like to add my little voice to this discussion. Perhaps a "new view" may add another perspective to this.

I think for sure he should be able to log his caches if he did them. My personal view is that I want my name in that log book... which he will not have but rather his family name but that is his choice.

The one thing I did want to add is that being new, and therefore not being totally clued up on how frequently caches get checked by the owners and archived if missing, I often have a look to see when a cache was last found to be sure that it is still there and has not been stolen etc. If, for instance, it was last logged 6 months ago and I have immense difficulty finding it I may question whether it is still there. If, however, it was found the day before I can be pretty certain it is still there.

This may just be me but in this case Ding Bat's logs would lead me to believe the cache has recently been found.... So as other's have stated perhaps a little explanation on each log explaining that this is the logging of an old find would be better. On that note I think a lot of people could put a lot more interesting logs and tell the story of their find (without giving too much away of course!). I enjoy reading about other's adventures!

Edited by C.A.T.A
This may just be me but in this case Ding Bat's logs would lead me to believe the cache has recently been found....

Not quite - when Ding bat enters his retro-log, he will have dated it with the date that he found the cache with DamhuisClan, so his log will automatically be sorted in chronological order. It will not necessarily reflect as the last log.

Not quite - when Ding bat enters his retro-log, he will have dated it with the date that he found the cache with DamhuisClan, so his log will automatically be sorted in chronological order. It will not necessarily reflect as the last log.

Aha, ok I forgot about the fact that you can choose the date found when logging on geocaching.com... I usually log the cache as found on my cellphone so I do not bother with the date at all. I just go in later and add the story.

If he dates the log with the original find date then I can see no problem at all. :rolleyes:

Edited by C.A.T.A