Night Caching

Roscoe1980

Any Tips for a rookie Cacher on Night Caching? Its dark when I go to work and Dark when I leave? I can not wait untill spring! :laughing:

A group of us just did 3 night caches last night. One was pretty standard although there were fire tacks missing. The other two were much more interesting....

Read the logs on these!

Red With Frustration The Tauntin' Continues

Quit Taunton Me!: A Night Odyssey

My son just got one of those Eye-Clops night vision masks... One of these days I am going to try it - of course running the risk of looking like a bad version of a cyborg if caught might try it rural before urban. Otherwise an LED flashlight and drop reflectors if going on a night hike, as well as extra batteries... (been there done that)

In the last year, I would bet that I have found more caches at night than I have in the daytime...that said, I still prefer the sunshine to the headlamp.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that finding caches in trees and shrubs seems to be easier at night, with a good headlamp. I think it's because you have total control over the shadows, which can be very concealing of caches. When the light is coming from your head, the shadows can't hide the cache as well. At least that's been my experience.

If you see yourself doing a LOT of night caching, you need to plan on spending a little extra on a really good headlamp...it will make all the difference in the world, and you will be able to hunt a lot longer, since your eyes won't get tired nearly as fast.

I recently upgraded to this one: It's the Black Diamond ICON. http://www.bdel.com/gear/icon.php Very bright main beam, and 4 LEDs on the side, for a broader beam. I usually use the smaller LEDs for hiking, and the super-bright 3 Watt LED for hunting. I think it goes for about $70, but you might get a better deal.

I know what folks are saying about carrying a flashlight, but I have never needed one with a truly high-quality headlamp. I usually find myself doing enough bushwhacking and climbing around that the less I carry with me, the better.

I hope that helps.

You might also want to keep in mind that some parks close at certain times and you could get a fine from being in them after hours. Yes it sounds stupid but in Sioux Falls it happens all the time. Just remember to check when the parks close. Also some places might attract attention of the local authorities. If you want an interesting night caching story see my log on “Abandoned Railroad” GCGZ92 in Brandon SD. Seems I get questioned much more often at night than during the day.

StaticTank

In the last year, I would bet that I have found more caches at night than I have in the daytime...that said, I still prefer the sunshine to the headlamp.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that finding caches in trees and shrubs seems to be easier at night, with a good headlamp. I think it's because you have total control over the shadows, which can be very concealing of caches. When the light is coming from your head, the shadows can't hide the cache as well. At least that's been my experience.

If you see yourself doing a LOT of night caching, you need to plan on spending a little extra on a really good headlamp...it will make all the difference in the world, and you will be able to hunt a lot longer, since your eyes won't get tired nearly as fast.

I recently upgraded to this one: It's the Black Diamond ICON. http://www.bdel.com/gear/icon.php Very bright main beam, and 4 LEDs on the side, for a broader beam. I usually use the smaller LEDs for hiking, and the super-bright 3 Watt LED for hunting. I think it goes for about $70, but you might get a better deal.

I know what folks are saying about carrying a flashlight, but I have never needed one with a truly high-quality headlamp. I usually find myself doing enough bushwhacking and climbing around that the less I carry with me, the better.

I hope that helps.

Get a good flashlight and a back up one and make sure you've got extra batteries with you. Last year I was out caching and was about a mile from the car when I found the last one I was looking for and well, my trip back to the car got interesting. First my cell phone was dying and I have called the wife (didn't have a very good signal with the phone any way's, Then my flashlight died. Then my battery warning on my GPSr came on and ended up dying about half way back. It made for a long trip back and the next time I was in the area I was checking out my path back to the car and come to find out there was a very nice trail about 200 feet away from where I was bushwacking the whole way back.

Since then I carry two flashlight's in my cache pack. A small led "back up light" and a regular flashlight. And I keep spare batteries with me now.