Incorrectly logged TB

teellbee

Last weekend, I dropped a travel bug into 10 More Essentials.

Alas, when I logged it, I accidentally got up the wrong record and logged it into 10 Essentials, which is two counties over. :) I didn't notice it until I looked at the map and saw the TB is in the wrong city.

I went to the Geocaching.com page for 10 Essentials to try to correct the TB log, But the system does not recognize the bug's code from it's webpage when I try to "retrieve" it so I can correctly "place" it into 10 More Essentials. And, as I no longer have the TB in my possession, I don't know the code from it's tag.

I'm very sorry for the mistake and would like to fix it. Do you know how I can do that?

Teellbee

You'll definitely need the tracking number so try contacting the owner and have them provide it to you. once you have it Retrieve the bug back out and to the drop. Then on the bug page delete the drop and retrieve for the wrong cache.

Thanks for taking the time to fix this.

Well, yeah I want to fix it - after all, I'm a bit embarrassed about this. I took your advice and wrote to the owner. That seems way more doable than driving 60+ miles back to the cache to look up the number.

Thanks for the sugestion!

Hope you hear back from the owner. I have done a similar sort of thing a couple of times and the owners have responded. If you don't hear back from the owner by tomorrow I would suggest posting a note on the "wrong" cache and on the bug page that the travel bug isn't there, just so cachers don't go looking for it. I would also post a note on the "right" cache asking for whoever picks up the bug to contact you and provide the tracking number so you can fix the location.

Worst case, someone picks up the bug and grabs it from the "wrong" cache. Good that you are trying to fix the error but it is a small matter in the grand sceme of things.

Hope you hear back from the owner. I have done a similar sort of thing a couple of times and the owners have responded. If you don't hear back from the owner by tomorrow I would suggest posting a note on the "wrong" cache and on the bug page that the travel bug isn't there, just so cachers don't go looking for it. I would also post a note on the "right" cache asking for whoever picks up the bug to contact you and provide the tracking number so you can fix the location.

Worst case, someone picks up the bug and grabs it from the "wrong" cache. Good that you are trying to fix the error but it is a small matter in the grand sceme of things.

If you are talking about the navy geocoin than it shows up for me as: TB1BPC7

I tested the number and it does work so you can go retrieve and then place correctly

Just so everyone knows you can see the tracking number by looking at the tab at the bottom of your screen (the ones used to switch windows)

Edited by ghettomedic

If you are talking about the navy geocoin than it shows up for me as: TB1BPC7

I tested the number and it does work so you can go retrieve and then place correctly

Just so everyone knows you can see the tracking number by looking at the tab at the bottom of your screen (the ones used to switch windows)

The TB1BPC7 is not the number needed to retrieve or move the trackable. It is the reference number that is publicly available. Since the OP already dropped the trackable in the cache they will no longer see the trackable in the list at the bottom of the page when logging a cache or writing a note.

The TB1BPC7 is not the number needed to retrieve or move the trackable. It is the reference number that is publicly available. Since the OP already dropped the trackable in the cache they will no longer see the trackable in the list at the bottom of the page when logging a cache or writing a note.

Ok, that number does work for writing a note, I did not realize that a different number was needed for retrieve/drop