Bug/Coin Shortcut

Jackalgirl

I have a suggestions for the logging of bugs & coins. I'm hoping it would make things more intuitive, especially for newbies.

The suggestion is this:

On the cache page:

When you log a cache, you see not only the option to drop what bugs are in your position, but to pick up whatever bugs are in the cache. It would also be nice if there were additional text entry fields so that you could enter in a text log for your outgoing/incoming traveller(s) all at the same time. If you drop more than one bug, or pick up more than one bug, I'd love to see an additional pop-up page that had text-entry fields that allowed you to enter in separate log for each bug right then and there.

The results page, of course, would list all of your logs and give you the opportunity to upload photos, just like it does now, only showing your multiple entries.

On the bug page:

Same thing. When you retrieve a bug, you also get the opportunity to log the bug into a new cache (on the same page). You have your text entry field in which to write your retrieve log, and then a field in which to enter the cache waypoint number. A dynamic update would populate the page with the cache's name, a text field for a log entry, and a pull-down menu for you to select the type of log (found it, leave note, etc) and date. You'd also have a "redo waypoint" button that would allow you to reset the waypoint entry field in case you mistyped the waypoint.

I don't know if this would make things more complicated. But I understand that a log of bugs & coins go missing not because people steal them (though that happens) but because they're picked up by newbies who just don't know what to do. My thinking is that if you have to have a help file that walks you through a process (go to this page, select this option, don't forget to go to that page and select that option), then it is an unintuitive process and needs to be rethought.

Agreed, though I think that people are going in the right direction with the additional "buddy" tags you can get, or otherwise marking things clearly. You can, of course, only prepare for so much ignorance on the new cachers' parts, and it's as much a case of educating new travel bug owners as it is new cachers, yes?

Hmmmm...I wonder if there'd be a way to have the website pop up Snoogans' travel bug longevity thread in a new window if someone is activating their very first travel bug? Or, at least, have some standard links:

"Leaving your first travel bug? Check out this good info"

<link to Snoogans' thread>

<link to other threads that talk about creative missions, bug pages, etc>

Edited by Jackalgirl

The main issue, it seems to me, is figuring out an interface to have the user confirm the tracking numbers of any bugs they log out of the cache.

Also, this would only work when the bugs are actually logged into the cache in the first place. It's not uncommon that they aren't (although I suppose this proposal might make it more rare). Then, the bug page still needs to be visited to "grab" the bug from wherever it was listed.

The main issue, it seems to me, is figuring out an interface to have the user confirm the tracking numbers of any bugs they log out of the cache.

Also, this would only work when the bugs are actually logged into the cache in the first place. It's not uncommon that they aren't (although I suppose this proposal might make it more rare). Then, the bug page still needs to be visited to "grab" the bug from wherever it was listed.

Yes, good point -- they would still need to input the tracking number to confirm that they actually have it.

I wonder if your scenario could be fixed by a "grab from a different cache" option that lets you enter in a different cache waypoint?

I wonder if your scenario could be fixed by a "grab from a different cache" option that lets you enter in a different cache waypoint?

Perhaps a few extra boxes to grab (by tracking number) bugs that aren't logged into the cache.

Also, maybe an option between "retrieved" and "discovered" for any bugs that are logged into the cache.

Perhaps a few extra boxes to grab (by tracking number) bugs that aren't logged into the cache.

Also, maybe an option between "retrieved" and "discovered" for any bugs that are logged into the cache.

Corey, I'm sorry I didn't see this 'til now. This is an outstanding suggestion. I would also suggest that if someone uses this method to retrieve a bug from the cache that's not there, that the system log it into the cache before putting it into his or her inventory so that the correct mileage gets calculated for the bug. Perhaps it could be logged into the cache by Signal, or something. : )

Something that would make things easier would be to allow one to drop off bugs while editing your own log entry that you just did a second ago. But no, you havee to write a completely separate note log to do the drop off if you forgot, and then delete that extraneous log, and edit the original log stating your bug drop if you hadn't done that.

I'd want a half hour time limit though for something like this or bug shenanigans might happen.

This has been suggested again and again for at least 3.5 years.