Year of the Ox

AtwellFamily

Reservations ending Dec-18-2008

(Reservations only no money collected)

Reserve Yours Now

2ATF144-f.jpg2ATF144-b.jpg

2ATF144-s-f.jpg2ATF144-c-f.jpg

(the silver version has blue enamel even though artwork looks purple)

Year of the Ox

Reservations: Dec-18-2008 Expected Release : Jan-24-2008

The coin is done in gold with red enamel - red and gold are considered very lucky colors in China, especially red, which is associated with blood (and therefore, life). The front side features a frame held up by four butterflies. In ancient Chinese maps, south was placed at the top, where the hole is located. At the bottom is the symbol for "north", and to the left and right, respectively, are "east" and "west". Eight Chinese flower motifs fill in the compass under the enamel: 2009 is an "Earth Ox" year, and the flowers symbolize the earth. Under the ox -- the new year's symbol -- there are thirteen coins, a lucky number and one included for safety on the hunt (as well as success in finding geocoins). The back features a classic version of the Chinese symbol for "eternity" and lucky clouds as a recessed design under the transparent red enamel.

Reserve Yours Now

Size: 1.75" or 45mm

Editions: gold, silver, copper and AE (two-tone)

Designed By: Jackalgirl

Artwork By: Jackalgirl

Produced By: Atwell Family

Special Features: 3D Ox, multiple layers

Trackable: www.geocaching.com (with 250 sold)

Reserve Yours Now

Thank you, MCB!

I've been wanting to do a Chinese New Year coin for over a year now, and it was a lot of fun to do. Thanks to Mike for asking me to come up with a Chinese-themed design and giving me the opportunity to do one!

Edited to add some clarification:

Chinese maps didn't have holes in them (on purpose, as far as I am aware). ; ) But they were oriented so that south was at the top.

I looked around a little for the symbolism of the butterfly and found this from WikiAnswers (so I can't vouch for how accurate it is):

>> The Mandarin Chinese word for butterfly is "hu-tieh". "Tieh" means "70 years", therefore butterflies have become a symbol for a long life.

>> In this culture butterflies have also become representative of young men in love.

A couple of other sites also link butterflies to love, which is pretty appropriate (in my mind) because a) I love geocaching and B) I really love geocoins! : )

Edited by Jackalgirl

Oh nice!

Reserved!

So we have another excellent up and coming geocoin artist, do we?

*Cheesy Pigs kisses goodbye to all her hard earned cash...* :D :D

Heh -- thank you very much for that compliment! I certainly hope to be. Geocoins are too much fun without wanting to design one or two, I think. And the community is so much fun, too -- I really want to be able to get into the cointest and mission scene with some of the ALEs from this run.

Very nicely done!

I was born in a Year of the Rooster :D

Thank you kindly! I notice that your geonick is "Earth Rooster", which reminds me of something that's in the coin description, but isn't really clarified: 2009 is the "Earth Ox", and the plants/flowers in the background of the compass side of the coin (the side with the ox) are meant to invoke that. There are eight of them, which is a lucky number.

I got the newsletter and reserved mine yesterday. How could I resist? My wife and one of my daughters were both born in the Year of the Ox. :D

PS - My other daughter and I were both born in the Year of the Dog, so we'll be waiting for that coin too. :D

I was also born in the Year of the Dog! I can't wait to do one for that. If it were a personal, of course, it'd be a Jackal! : )

Coins are in and will ship this week. There are still unpaid invoices and should be paid within the month or your order could be forfeited.

Please contact me in you ordered and have not received an invoice or have an issue with paying by the end of the month.

Hip Hip Horray, we are so excited to see these coins we ordered :D Thanks for the update Mike.

Very Beautiful Mike. Who came up with this design for a geocoin?

Jackalgirl

That's right -- me! Me me me me me! Muah hah ha ha ha ha!

(I'm just really happy with the way these turned out. They look really nice in the photos and I can't wait to have them in hand. Mike, thanks for making this happen!)

Very Beautiful Mike. Who came up with this design for a geocoin?

Jackalgirl

That's right -- me! Me me me me me! Muah hah ha ha ha ha!

(I'm just really happy with the way these turned out. They look really nice in the photos and I can't wait to have them in hand. Mike, thanks for making this happen!)

You did a outstanding job Jackalgirl :laughing:

My Copper Year of the Ox just arrived this afternoon. It's gorgeous! ;)

I really like the way your page is set up, Tom -- I wish that more Travel Bugs and Coin pages had good pictures in a nice layout like that. : )

I'm sure the answer is out there and I have not looked for it and forgive the off topic for the next paragraph

But I must admit I have always wondered why GC.com was so basic when it comes to logging finds and trackables, the edit windows are bare bones.

I understand not everyone would know how to or even want to use a bit of flair on logs I mean how much to you need to log "easy find TNLNSL TFTC" as a lot of

logs seem to be. But it is always nice to have the choice to add a bit, and yes I realise you can just as tom4props has but thats my point make it accessible for joe public

who does not know html (phew ok small rant/why over) :D

Back on Topic I have ordered 6 of these beauties, some for my small collection and some for trades/gifts/missions, I can't wait to see them. :D

I'm sure the answer is out there and I have not looked for it and forgive the off topic for the next paragraph

But I must admit I have always wondered why GC.com was so basic when it comes to logging finds and trackables, the edit windows are bare bones.

I understand not everyone would know how to or even want to use a bit of flair on logs I mean how much to you need to log "easy find TNLNSL TFTC" as a lot of

logs seem to be. But it is always nice to have the choice to add a bit, and yes I realise you can just as tom4props has but thats my point make it accessible for joe public

who does not know html (phew ok small rant/why over) :laughing:

Back on Topic I have ordered 6 of these beauties, some for my small collection and some for trades/gifts/missions, I can't wait to see them. :huh:

The nice thing about the description sections of the coin/bug/cache pages, though, is that they will accept HTML. If you can't code them manually*, there are a lot of tools out there that will allow you to layout a nice page (heck, you can even save Microsoft Word docs as HTML). If you've got something that lets you save as HTML, try laying out something that looks nice, saving it as HTML, opening it in Notepad (or in your browser and using "View Source"), then copying it and pasting it to your coin/bug/cache page. You can always erase it if you don't like how it looks.

*I made a thread with some manual coding tips for coin pages, btw -- here it is. And it's not just me in that thread -- several other people made some really good suggestions and provided links to good examples.

Sorry for the off-topic drift, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Thank you for liking the coins! : )