Oregon v. 2.80

allory

I ran into a problem tonight running 2.8 that I'm hoping some other people can try who are using City Nav (I'm using CN NA NT 2009)

To reproduce:

- WhereTo?>Stop Navigation (to cancel any active navigation)

- Profiles>Automotive

- Power Down

- Power Up

- Let the unit lock

- WhereTo?>Waypoints>[select a waypoint]

- Allow the autoroute to complete

- Exit the map page

- Profiles>Geocaching

When I do this the unit powers off. I have pretty standard automotive and geocaching settings. In automotive I have both CN and Topo 2009 enabled, in geocaching just Topo. Routing and mapping settings include the obvious differences.

I ran into a problem tonight running 2.8 that I'm hoping some other people can try who are using City Nav (I'm using CN NA NT 2009)

When I do this the unit powers off. I have pretty standard automotive and geocaching settings. In automotive I have both CN and Topo 2009 enabled, in geocaching just Topo. Routing and mapping settings include the obvious differences.

I have the same problem, I did the update on Saturday and then drove quite a distance using Automotive. On the way home I switched to Geocaching and the unit shut down. It did that everytime I tried. Although when I got back home and tried, it worked fine.

When I read your post I tried it again, and it shut down. So I tried it once more and it was fine, go figure??

For Geocaching I use TOPO Canada V2, and for Automotive I have MetroGuide Canada V4.

I'm seeing more reports of strange issues with 2.7 and 2.8.

- Sometimes the Automotive profile Map Orientation setting gets set to track up/north up instead of automotive. I saw this yesterday after I experienced the "switching profiles w/active route" shutoff described above so it might be related to this other failure.

- I saw a case yesterday where the wrong background image was displayed even though it was configured to some other image. Again, it was when I was trying to characterize the shutoff issue, so it might have something to do with that failure as well.

- Some users have reported corrupted profiles related to map enable/disable selections. In one case a user had to remove the corrupted gpf file, replace it with a good one and reconfigure to get the map enable/disable settings to work properly.

Seems like something got messed up in 2.7 or 2.8 WRT to profile management and settings. I'm going to report the shutoff issue to Garmin to see if they can reproduce it.

If you do upgrade to 2.8 I would suggest checking the settings in all of your profiles to make sure that they are set properly and are remembered across profile switches and power cycles.

There seems to be a problem where the unit crashes if you change profiles while auto navigating to a waypoint and the new profile does not have auto nav turned on.

I have a profile for driving and another for caching. When I get to the parking and switch profiles the unit powers off if I am still autonavigating.

There seems to be a problem where the unit crashes if you change profiles while auto navigating to a waypoint and the new profile does not have auto nav turned on.

I have a profile for driving and another for caching. When I get to the parking and switch profiles the unit powers off if I am still autonavigating.

Right, that's the issue here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3752739

I've reported this to Garmin via email but so far no word.

The gcd file for 2.6 and instructions to downgrade can be found here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions

Yup, it was the pebbles.

Garmin needs a swift kick to the pebbles. ;) I can't believe they keep releasing versions to fix issues and add new issues while doing so. Don't they test what they are putting out? :D

Within one day of updating to 2.8 I have seen the shutdown problem when switching profiles as well as the background changing to the stones.

I tried to reproduce using the steps you provided g-o-cashers and it was hit or miss. I was inside so getting lock was part of my problem. I'll try again outside with good lock and see if it is consistent.

Yup, it was the pebbles.

Garmin needs a swift kick to the pebbles. ;) I can't believe they keep releasing versions to fix issues and add new issues while doing so. Don't they test what they are putting out? :D

Within one day of updating to 2.8 I have seen the shutdown problem when switching profiles as well as the background changing to the stones.

I tried to reproduce using the steps you provided g-o-cashers and it was hit or miss. I was inside so getting lock was part of my problem. I'll try again outside with good lock and see if it is consistent.

Waiting for lock before you select the destination does seem to be a necessary prerequisite. If I step outside the exact instructions I sent out I don't see the issue.

Per Garmin's suggestion I've also master reset but I still see the problem. Actually the first time after I master reset I didn't see a power off but the screen got very garbled. Executing the procedure a second and third time I'm back to the old behavior.

Took my Oregon 300 Firmware 2.8 out for an extensive caching-trip yesterday and can confirm the problems now :lol:

1.) When changing from one profile to the other while routing the Oregon would sometimes freeze and had to be power cycled

2.) When changing to my self-created geocaching profile the Oregon would sometimes show the wrong background image. The only thing that helps to get it back to normal behavior again is to power cycle the unit. I also think that it does not correctly remember other settings of my profile.

3.) When trying to access the compass calibration screen by pressing my finger on the compass for a couple of seconds the Oregon would also shut down a couple of times.

Edited by binzi